VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:07 am 

I decided (a while ago) to build a copy (as close as I could get to anyways) of the Green Meanie, it has been 25 years since Vai retired it. So I figured it was as good a time as any. Then I found out Vai was playing locally and that was all the kick in the ass it took to get me to finish it..... Enjoy.
The specs are slightly different as I wanted the best tone I could get.
I went with an alder body: the tone is better and not a soft as the original basswood.
I also chose to put contemporary pickups vs. what might be in the original as there is no reliable info of what's in it.
the rest was period correct hardware, oh, the tuners are temporary until I can get a set of the original green schallers? anyone got a set? PM me.
Neck is original charvelle neck etc... the rest was just stickers, paint and sweat......

watching paint dry (literally)!!!!

paint finished with some wear and aging started.

back of the guitar 50% done

headstock painted and artwork being applied

body further along with pick guard

body with stickers

assembled guitar on the bench

guitar with the case

let me know what you think?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:25 am 

2 words in my opinion: FUCKIN AMAZING :headbang

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:35 am 
Newcomer

Looks nice. Good job.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 10:48 am 

Vai is incredibly gracious, I brought this to the EVO experience, and he signed it for me!!! The EVO experience, for anyone on the fence about going to it.... do it!! I had a great time and it is an experience that will stay with me for a long time. Plus Vai signed my GREEN MEANIE!!! Although I thought he was going to kick my ass at one point..... I pulled the guitar out and handed it to him and he looked at me, and then the guitar, and then me, and the guitar again, then he scoldingly looked at me and said "how did you get this?" and it wasn't in a "hey that's a cool guitar way" it was a pissed off dad kind of tone (I have seen a lot of that in my life), I think for a second he thought it was really his, NO B.S., when I said "I made it" he softened up and asked a few more questions about how I pulled it off and signed it. I thought for a second though I was going to get a beat down by Vai. That felt like the best form of validation, although it didn't seem cool at that exact moment, he caught me off guard as I wasn't expecting to get scolded. He was super cool and the show was the best by him I have seen yet, and I'll have that moment burned in my mind forever! what a night!

Last edited by ahull123 on Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:07 am 

love the guitar and a great story :D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:18 am 

Out of words..... AMAZING, all these stickers and little things....Congratulations man! :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:37 am 
VIP
VIP

Great job. Where'd you get the stickers?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:23 pm 

Favored Nations wrote:
Great job. Where'd you get the stickers?

I scoured the internet first, (skate sticker websites, ebay, online stores, forums,... you name it) then I re-drew from scans the ones I could not find, I then had them reprinted by various methods, including commercial printers to get the right finishes, (neon stickers can only be screen printed or offset printed (neither of which I have access to)), between all of that it took a couple of years and a boat load of money. But it was worth every cent. I spent easily 300 hours looking for the stickers, when I realized I was hitting a wall on some of them I turned to my background in graphic arts to figure out another solution.

I have to blame the luthier I work with for the whole thing, as he challenged me to do it, I said how hard can it be..... the joke turned out to be on me. When I realized how hard the stickers were going to be to collect I decided I was going to have to do a damn good job aging the guitar to make it worth while, or all the money and time to acquire the stickers would be a waste so I did the best job I could on it? I am very picky about my work, and I am proud of the way this came out. It has a lot more character in real life (much like the real one for sure), the photos can't capture all the nuance, Hey, it made Vai do a double take.... Mission Accomplished!!!

I build these as a hobby, so it is more fun and personal, and deeply gratifying to be part of the process, not just a guy writing a check, I choose projects that have a deep meaning and are complicated to do. Otherwise, it is just like every other guitar. I have a seven string green meanie I am working on, I wanted to bring them both at the same time, but I just couldn't do it, between my business demands and my personal life, I just plain ran out of time, and now in retrospect seeing how busy Vai is, It would have been too much to bring another one. There is always the next tour!!!

That was you there.. Seann? if it was, you are a lucky guy! One of the coolest jobs in the world, to me anyways.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:11 pm 
VIP
VIP

haha. There are a couple Sean's that work for Steve you met Sean Kellett. I'm Sean Carpenter :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 2:26 pm 

Favored Nations wrote:
haha. There are a couple Sean's that work for Steve you met Sean Kellett. I'm Sean Carpenter :)

still cool working with/for Steve, hats off. Nice to see you guys here.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:17 am 

Saweeettt!!!!
Dude, you did a GREAT JOB!! Sean beat me to it, I was wondering the same thing about the stickers.
The Multiverse is an amazing job. That one blows my mind! btw Sean, love the pic Sean posted on FB of SV playing on it.
But this! The Green Meanie!! Just amazing man!
Solid!!

I loved the story. Would have loved to see SV's face when you handed him GM.
Thanks for sharing ahull123!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:57 am 

Maybe Steve was more surprised than anything else, because the usual guitars he gets presented are either Jems or Ibanez guitars anyway. I guess seeing a Green Meanie replica (maybe the only one in existence) was a huge surprise for him.

Congratulations, you did an amazing job!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 11:47 am 

EyE wrote:
Saweeettt!!!!
Dude, you did a GREAT JOB!! Sean beat me to it, I was wondering the same thing about the stickers.
The Multiverse is an amazing job. That one blows my mind! btw Sean, love the pic Sean posted on FB of SV playing on it.
But this! The Green Meanie!! Just amazing man!
Solid!!

I loved the story. Would have loved to see SV's face when you handed him GM.
Thanks for sharing ahull123!

first thanks, it was a lot of work, but worth it in the end. Second: the look on his face was, pissed/confused! for a lack of better word. He was so confused after I told him I built it and he calmed down, he said "I have one of these too" I was like yeah I know, then he asked how I built it, etc... he looked like he just walked head first into a steel beam and was dazed, and confused. I swear, it was kind of disheartening because I was expecting an atta-boy or something... but again I guess it is the highest form of approval. I never ever would have guessed that would have been his initial response.

and yeah, a huge thanks for Sean posing the pic. It got a bunch of likes.

He is playing at the nokia theater, a friend offered me some tickets, I wish I could go back and get a better pic(s) of him with it but I don't think that will happen, maybe next tour? I am truly grateful to even have one pic truth be told.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:56 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Of all the replica of Vai's axes I've seen, and that includes the new Ibanez made Evo replica's, a ton of Bad horsies, Flo's and other various assorted axes, this is *by far* the best one I've ever seen.

Nice going :)
J

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:14 pm 

some other pics