VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:27 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: My Custom JEM
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:53 am 
Offline
Member
Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:19 pm
Posts: 864
Location: New Jersey
oh, and just bought an edge from the ibanez store the other day. first step in a lot of work.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My Custom JEM
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:06 am 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:18 am
Posts: 1442
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
bring it back and buy a real genuine FLOYD ROSE

if you're starting from scratch and buying one by one
get a floyd

the best edge is worse than the worst floyd


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My Custom JEM
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:37 am 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:14 pm
Posts: 257
Location: Slovenia
kyle am I wrote:
oh, and just bought an edge from the ibanez store the other day. first step in a lot of work.


Which color is it?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My Custom JEM
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:31 pm 
Offline
Newcomer

Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:26 pm
Posts: 10
Would love to get a Fernandes sustained installed here in England.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My Custom JEM
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:59 pm 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:16 pm
Posts: 167
Location: reading,england
Jeries wrote:
bring it back and buy a real genuine FLOYD ROSE

if you're starting from scratch and buying one by one
get a floyd

the best edge is worse than the worst floyd


i must have missed something because every genuine floyd i every used was stiff,clunky and pretty useless,every edge and low pro i have owned has been superior in every department,flutters,drop down,pull up and always stays in tune,the lo pro imo is perfection in a floating trem.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My Custom JEM
PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:57 pm 
Offline
Member
Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:19 pm
Posts: 864
Location: New Jersey
the color is silver, i think they call it cosmo or something. Image
@paul123 i wanted to buy the lo pro, but its a good hundred extra. plus steve uses the edge on evo, so that should count for something ;)

@jeries i always seem to disagree with you :mrgreen: what is your reasoning? ive used the edge and a floyd rose (the original, special, even fernandes' version). i didnt like the original floyd rose because- it felt very clunky. it was not smooth, even divebombing. the arm sucks, its too angled and its a screw in, which i hate. Also, though its just personal preference, most of the floyds are small, except for the pro and speedloader. i like big trems, or else my right hand feels too... limited, its hard to explain. the edge is the latter of all those things. i dont know about tuning, but all i know with ibanez is that as long as your set up and your knife edges are good, springs new and nut locked down, there are no tuning problems.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My Custom JEM
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:01 am 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 12:14 pm
Posts: 257
Location: Slovenia
kyle am I wrote:
the color is silver, i think they call it cosmo or something. Image
@paul123 i wanted to buy the lo pro, but its a good hundred extra. plus steve uses the edge on evo, so that should count for something ;)

@jeries i always seem to disagree with you :mrgreen: what is your reasoning? ive used the edge and a floyd rose (the original, special, even fernandes' version). i didnt like the original floyd rose because- it felt very clunky. it was not smooth, even divebombing. the arm sucks, its too angled and its a screw in, which i hate. Also, though its just personal preference, most of the floyds are small, except for the pro and speedloader. i like big trems, or else my right hand feels too... limited, its hard to explain. the edge is the latter of all those things. i dont know about tuning, but all i know with ibanez is that as long as your set up and your knife edges are good, springs new and nut locked down, there are no tuning problems.


I prefer Edge and Edge Lo-Pro over the Floyd Rose too, because they just fell too stiff for me. The arm is too high and all that stuff that you mentioned.....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My Custom JEM
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:36 am 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:18 am
Posts: 1442
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
edges are a toy

floyds are well built
best metals best quality
will last forever


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My Custom JEM
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:12 pm 
Offline
Member
Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:19 pm
Posts: 864
Location: New Jersey
WELL, FLOS BACK!!! GO LOOK AT THE THING EYE POSTED. SHE STILL HAS HER TRUE TEMPERMENT NECK, WHICH STEVE DOSENT USE THAT MUCH ANYMORE! AHAH!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My Custom JEM
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:34 pm 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:09 pm
Posts: 114
ok i stand corrected ,..I am a bit old school and gear is so varst these days the switching thing sounds pretty cool kyle

cheers t


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My Custom JEM
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:56 pm 
Offline
Member
Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:19 pm
Posts: 864
Location: New Jersey
well, i got my edge. it came in the mail with the trem box damaged, but all the parts a ok. now what i want to know, (i have the correct trem size cavity) can my edge be put on edge iii studs?
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My Custom JEM
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:20 pm 
Offline
Member
Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:19 pm
Posts: 864
Location: New Jersey
never mind... it dosent :)
Image
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My Custom JEM
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:41 am 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Wed Apr 23, 2003 12:22 pm
Posts: 350
if your worried about that one little trem tuner overlaping the cavity......

grab yourself a laminate trimmer (small handheld router) and dig out the trem cavity more. Its an easy job if you have a steady hand.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My Custom JEM
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:25 am 
Offline
Member
Member
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:19 pm
Posts: 864
Location: New Jersey
oh i was going to, but this trem isnt permanent to be here. i just wanted to see if it would fit. :)

~Kyle


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: My Custom JEM
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:26 am 
Offline
Member
Member

Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:16 pm
Posts: 167
Location: reading,england
check the intonation on the g string first,the saddle may need to come forward.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group