VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: My Custom JEM
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:44 am 

i actually did what steve did... i took a hammer and a screwdriver and whacked the wood out of the way of three poles, the g, a, and d poles. im having trouble though. the bridge works fine on edge III studs, but the trem bar itself wobbles when i put it in., the snap in part in the bridge itself- the arm holder, wobbles slightly when i use it. i just dont like it. i tried re adjusting everything_ the screws, the bolt behind... etc. any way to fix this???

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:24 pm 

bring your guitars to a professional and don't wack at them with hammers into wood

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:56 pm 

Jeries wrote:
bring your guitars to a professional and don't wack at them with hammers into wood

the trem wasnt in it when whacked it lol its the trem itself

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:26 pm 

ok self doing the sustainer. Everything is figured out, just going to test route a piece of wood and the soldering and installation will commence. One thing though- where can I find a fernandea to dimarzio color code? The bridge wiring colors are off lol I know it's a common problem, but I just can't find an adequate one :/

Ps how much could I get if I wanted to sell the white driver

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:37 pm 

Hmmm, that white driver would look better than the black one in my Jem 7vwh. I don't really know how hard it is to swap it out though. Not much of a guitar tech other than restringing and bridge setup..

Take off back cover, unplug black one, remove the two screws out holding driver, plug white one in, replace screws holding the driver and back cover? Does this sound correct?

How did you come to possess a white one if you don't mind me asking??

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:47 pm 

steve gave it to me...

Naah just kidding lol. You sound right on in the swapping process. It was actually an accident I found it. I was at a local guitar shop looking at guitars with sustainers about a year ago, and decided I just didn't like the fernandea guitars but loved the sustainer. I don't remember exactly how, but the tech guy showed me a sustainer kit (I think I just asked) and he pulled one out that didn't look like it had been out of a box in ten years. It's $200. So I leave, thinking about how I'll install it if I buy it, and on the car ride home nearly had a heart attack. I realized that the guy was selling a new sustainer in white, a coveted never to be found white sustainer. So I bought it. It really was a steal. I waited until after I bought it to even tell the guy how valuable and rare it was. He himself was sponsored by fernandea, and and said if I ever needed a white one again to just ask and hell get fernandea so ship one out again (yeah, they never did stop making them, they just stock up on a ton for their guitars, and when their gone make some more, etc. so I could probably get quite a few sustainers In white. If I was to sell one, how much would it be worth?
guitars911 wrote:
Hmmm, that white driver would look better than the black one in my Jem 7vwh. I don't really know how hard it is to swap it out though. Not much of a guitar tech other than restringing and bridge setup..

Take off back cover, unplug black one, remove the two screws out holding driver, plug white one in, replace screws holding the driver and back cover? Does this sound correct?

How did you come to possess a white one if you don't mind me asking??

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:21 pm 

kyle, you have my intrest in the white driver. Do you have a need for a black one? I would trade + cash if so... I have not searched for just what the driver alone costs new. I think if we talk we can work something out new or trade +. Let me know. thx

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:57 pm 

i pmd you
guitars911 wrote:
kyle, you have my intrest in the white driver. Do you have a need for a black one? I would trade + cash if so... I have not searched for just what the driver alone costs new. I think if we talk we can work something out new or trade +. Let me know. thx

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:58 pm 

just for future reference, I'm not looking to sell my sustainer. Just wondering how much it would be worth.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:23 am 

I think you need to let me test it out for a few years so I can get a true appraisal figure on it for you. :lol: