VAI.COM

The Official Steve Vai Website Message Boards.
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: My Custom JEM
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:05 pm 

ok, so my whole sustainer project isnt working out. im absolutley done trying to find someone to instal the sustainer into my guitar. i was ready to spend 200 dollars to have it installed, when my dad and icould just do it (he does computers, woodworking, electronics, etc). so after the fourth "professional" guitar luthier sending my guitar back because they werent comfortable installing it, i had an idea. With the $200 i was going to use to install the sustainer, i buy a sustainer routed jem body from et guitars. then i buy an original edge from ibanez, a black pickguard from amazon, and install the sustainer. I have enough money, i want to use my ibanez rg350mp neck because it feels amazing and is close to my heart. so i can have my dad install the sustainer along with the EVOS i bought a while back, put a pickguard on the back routed guitar, put the rg neck on it, buy an output jack, and stain it. now here is where it gets interesting. the body is pacifiic mahogany, and i love the way the grain looks. so i want to stain it to look like this body (actually, the guitar will be this but with an original edge, maple fretboard, and sustainer)

its such a beautiful color. anyway, does anyone know how i could get this color? does it look stained, painted, etc? And how do you paint a body? do you put a clear primer if it is a solid color, then the color, then a clearcoat? and if it is a stain, will someone be as kind as to run down the process and materials i will need to go through? thanks

Post subject: Re: My Custom JEM
PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:10 pm 

here is what it should look like

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:16 pm 

In my opinion the natural head stock looks much better than the digital version, same goes for the neck.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:32 pm 

GYiakoumi wrote:
In my opinion the natural head stock looks much better than the digital version, same goes for the neck.

well, the neck on my 350 is white with maple, and feels so good. plus, i dont have the money for a custom neck. i agree the natural looks much better. but its better than nothing. anybody forsee any problems, even the smallest ones?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:32 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

That body is lacquered and clear coated which isn't easy to do if you have never done it.

As far as the headstock is concerned, assuming you don't have a bubinga stripe all the way to the tip of the headstock, you can sand off the white front and it will be the same maple color as the one in your example. Get an Ibanez decal from Ebay (google for it) and you're set. Perhaps throw over a few layers of clear once you stuck the decal on it.

Good luck :)
J

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:29 am 

thanks! My dad knows how to do all that stuff. Does anyone know what kind of laquer? And what color does this look like? Regarding the headstock, its a great tip, thanks! But someday I hope to buy a neck made exactly to the one in Steve's collection (with the inlay and scallops) and put the maple neck back on my rg. But all in good time :)
Jeroen wrote:
That body is lacquered and clear coated which isn't easy to do if you have never done it.

As far as the headstock is concerned, assuming you don't have a bubinga stripe all the way to the tip of the headstock, you can sand off the white front and it will be the same maple color as the one in your example. Get an Ibanez decal from Ebay (google for it) and you're set. Perhaps throw over a few layers of clear once you stuck the decal on it.

Good luck :)
J

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:49 am 

just buy a used fernandes guitar with a sustainer for 200-300$

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:49 am 

Jeries wrote:

I have the sustainer kit
I want a jem/rg body
i want the neck i have which only works on ibanez
i want my color combination
i want the ibanez fr style trem
i want a 401 sustainer, not a 101

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:28 am 

and if you don't have $1000-1500 to do so...

get a used fernandes guitar w/sustainer

a good FR trem is going to run you more than a used fernandes.

go on ebay and email a company that makes rg/jem bodies and see if they'll route it

but finishing guitars well isn't cheap- and just installing the the sustainer w/o routing is hundred+

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:22 pm 

Jeries wrote:
and if you don't have $1000-1500 to do so...

get a used fernandes guitar w/sustainer

a good FR trem is going to run you more than a used fernandes.

go on ebay and email a company that makes rg/jem bodies and see if they'll route it

but finishing guitars well isn't cheap- and just installing the the sustainer w/o routing is hundred+

im not sure i understand. et guitars makes a jem body of pacific mahogany backrouted like flos that has the sustainer hole and route already done... just like flos. ill post a link. its $180, with shipping $255 (shipped by air is $75) my dad used to be a carpenter, a good one. he knows wood. he does stains laquers all that stuff. he can do it and said he would. he does electronics and all that stuff too. he installs the sustainer, along with my evos, after we finish it. we put my rg neck on it, install the trem, and my life is thrown into sustained heaven. i can buy stain laquer etc cheap... my dad knows a guy.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:22 am 

With that white sustainer, you can set yourself making a Flo replica (personally I would). I think it doesn't matters if you put RG neck there. If the measures are correct then Evo's neck is similar to the Super Wizard.

Last edited by ocxcxd on Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:12 am 

ocxcxd wrote:
With that white sustainer, you can set yourself making a Flo replica (personally I would). I think it doesn't matters if you put RG neck there. If the measures are correct the Evo's neck is similar to the Super Wizard.

a flo replica? well, i could. i could, after i make this guitar, just switch the sustainer to a flo replica if i ever wanted to. but you know, that could be really hard to do, because WE NEVER SEE THE ORIGINAL FLO ANYMORE. and as much as the replica would be cool, this guitar is supposed to really be mine. I already have 2 white guitars, and someday im going to have a 7vwh, and i dont really need 4 white guitars :) but i found myself staring at Jeroens JEM and drooling ;)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 7:50 pm 

kyle am I wrote:
Jeries wrote:

I have the sustainer kit
I want a jem/rg body
i want the neck i have which only works on ibanez
i want my color combination
i want the ibanez fr style trem
i want a 401 sustainer, not a 101

well you dont want much do you ,...ive just worked out that you Americans call an active pick up a sustainer ,all this time ive been wondering what it is you guys have been on about
.just another thing to find a battery for .

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:56 pm 

no

sustainer means

FERNANDES SUSTAINER SYSTEM

the neck pickup is the DRIVER for the circuit board

it is an active system... but far from active pickups

requires a professional installation and in most cases severe routing and alterations to the guitar to fit the circuit and switches

...and second
i don't use active pickups

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:52 am 

sustainer has the driver, switches to turn it on, and requires a battery. The switches control harmonic abilities, and one is to turn it on and off. when you dont know something just look it up on google. type in FERNANDES SUSTAINER FSK-401 system, and the single coil with wires and switches and circuitboards is it. i just have a white driver (single coil), like steve vai does on his guitairs.