Bought the wrong size(gauge) strings - what should I do?

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
BigBadMoFoGangsta

I have a very old Fernandes Revolver Pro with built-in sustainer. I think they sell the same guitar now but its been rebranded as the Fernandes Revolver Pro 81. Maybe thats the first year it came out or something. Anyway...on with my problem.

It had been about 3 years since I changed the strings so I decided to do it myself instead of having the local music store do it for me. I bought a set of strings off Amazon and changed them myself.

I bought some Ernie Ball Regular Slinky Strings for this guitar which are 10-46 gauge. Looking back at old string packages I had bought I see that I was using smaller gauges. Basically 9-42's. Which coincides with Ernie Ball's Super Light Slinky set.

So, I guess the more advanced guitar people know my problem already at this point without me having said so. The guitar will not stay in tune, as the tension on the strings is too tight. I have looked everywhere for the truss rod on this guitar to loosen it up. I believe the neck has to be removed on this guitar to adjust the truss rod. But even if I adjust the truss rod will using the heavier gauge strings ever sound right? Does anyone have any experience with this particular guitar?

Im thinking I might be better off to just scrap the heavier gauge strings(I lose $4 of my hard earned money) and just buy the correct gauge strings. Or I can try adjusting the truss rod myself or, failing that, take it to my local music dealer and have them adjust it.

Thanks for any advice.
Jeries

The guitar you mentioned has a floyd/locking trem...

whenever you change gauges the guitar needs to be set up...

DON'T FUCK WITH THE TRUSS ROD YOURSELF

If anything needs to fixed it's the springs loosened to adjust to the heavier tension BUT DON'T TOUCH THAT EITHER...

Your cheapest bet is buying a new pack of lighter strings and changing them one by one- with 6 strings on the guitar at all times-
$1 says you already messed it up and you'll need a set up after the lighter strings are on it anyway

Your best bet is figuring out the strings you want and getting the guitar professionally set up- it needs a set up and a fret dress.

Given its been 3 yrs- it needs a pro set up
paulh123

best to just put another set of 9-42 strings on.
if you keep the 10s on the trem springs will need screwing in(tightening)not loosening.
kyle am I

Delete
Last edited by kyle am I on Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BigBadMoFoGangsta

Thanks for all the replies.

I just decided to replace the bottom 36 and 46 strings with a 32 and a 42. They are some really old GHS strings I still had from years ago.

I noticed that at the bottom of the strings(or maybe it was intended to be the top years ago), there is about 2 inches of unwound area(bare string). Should I cut this off when I put the string on? If I leave it as is will it effect the tuning?

Thanks for the help.

**** EDIT ****
Okay, I went ahead and cut the end of the string off without any acknowledgement that it was the right thing to do(said as I wipe tears away from my eyes). I just assumed it was. It seems to sound better now but the guitar still won't stay in tune. I haven't tightened the lock nut screws at the top of the strings but still it shouldn't go out of tune in 5 minutes of playing.
kyle am I

Delete
Last edited by kyle am I on Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeries

Yeah I would strongly suggest stop messing with it...

Don't ever just changed 2 strings- change all 6
Don't ever mix gauges like that- unless you plan to always do it that way and the guitars been set up for that by a professional

Go to a music store they'll show you how to change the strings

don't ever keep strings on a guitar for a year

stop messing around with it- get a setup pay whatever it costs to get done right- its worth it- learn how to change strings and never have more than one string missing at once.
kyle am I

Delete
Last edited by kyle am I on Sun Apr 19, 2015 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aaronm
Banned

trial and error mmmmmm
Jeries

kyle am I wrote:If you don't have a local shop, buy some strings (I suggest buying 4-5 packs at a time)
I walked into a stores musical instrument department... (Best Buy has a huge musical instrument depts in select stores- like a small guitar center)
I walked to the guy in the counter "Do you sell a lot of strings"
him... "no not really, just a few packs once in a while- this isn't my department"
me.. "oh ok... I want to buy some strings"
him "ok what did you need"
me... "ALL OF THEM... I'll take all of those all of those all of those..." and bought literally every pack of strings they have...

Still have my receipt...that wasn't that long ago either... ironically I'm actually running low after that (got plenty of .008's but need more packs of 9's)

I can't wait til they do buy 2 get the third free at $3.49 a pack
kyle am I

Delete
Jeries

you're "supposed" to wipe down the strings after every time you play
kyle am I

Delete
aaronm
Banned

strings seem to be rather cheap where you guys are from
Jeries

Average is $5 a pack

I buy strings at best buy for usually $3.99 a pack

Best Buy had Ernie ball 8's for $3.99 and 9's for $3.49 a pack PLUS buy 2 get 1 free--
so i bought every pack they had in the store

I still have 20 packs of .008's but i'm all out of 9s