New IBANEZ JEM 70V Premium

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
kyle am I

Re: New IBANEZ JEM 70V Premium

#46 Post by kyle am I » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:14 pm

wow, thanks for clearing that up. Well, the tech was endorsed in the ninteies, the the time difference may mean different rules. But it sounds like ibanez and the other companies have gotten cheap. I mean, for all the rgs and jems and other things sold, it sounds like you have to be a Steve vai for it to truly be worth it. I always imagened that being endorsed by ibanez was as easy as Steve made it sound. " I asked them them if they could make a jem with the fabric on it, and they said sure thing Mr. Steve." If I was endorsed, and ya know, as big as I can only dream to be, I would tell them how it will be, and they can either take it or stick it ;)

Jeries

#47 Post by Jeries » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:27 pm

Mesa Boogie for example in 30-40 years has NEVER ONCE given away a piece of gear for free

Prince, Paul McCartney, John Petrucci, Metallica, Carlos Santana- have all paid for everything Mesa Boogie they own/use/endorse

There's 3 levels of endorsements also- 50% off, 25% off, and NOTHING

I think some people like Prince, and Paul McCartney just pay for them outright... and have no contact with them

Prince for example- i think buys all the gear he uses- he doesn't talk to any companies or endorse anything- just buys what he wants and doesn't really endorse anything.

In the case of John Petrucci or someone with Mesa Boogie- if he's doing a clinic or something- Mesa will ship an amp out for him to use... they also 'loan' a ton of gear to people here and there for demos/clinics/performances/tours and stuff- but even if Metallica bought a Mesa Road Kind they'd pay over $1500

kyle am I

#48 Post by kyle am I » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:50 pm

though I may not understand the whole industry and shit, I think its kind of a bullshit thing for artists to have to pay for the gear they endorse. You have to talk good about your company at your best, a d recommend them to other people. So much effort, yet the company has little/ no regard for the artists monetary needs. I mean, of. Of course metallica has moderatley wealthy members, and tours they hold pay for themselves es, but really. I wonder what its like with Carvin. I have never once seen ibanez thank Steve (who made ibanez big hands down) ir Joe (whim Steve introduced ibanez to) or show credit to the design Steve and Joe made. Maybe ill go Van Halen and make my own damn guitars.

Jeries

#49 Post by Jeries » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:32 pm

kyle am I wrote:though I may not understand the whole industry and shit, I think its kind of a bullshit thing for artists to have to pay for the gear they endorse. You have to talk good about your company at your best, a d recommend them to other people. So much effort, yet the company has little/ no regard for the artists monetary needs. I mean, of. Of course metallica has moderatley wealthy members, and tours they hold pay for themselves es, but really. I wonder what its like with Carvin. I have never once seen ibanez thank Steve (who made ibanez big hands down) ir Joe (whim Steve introduced ibanez to) or show credit to the design Steve and Joe made. Maybe ill go Van Halen and make my own damn guitars.
No you're totally wrong...
whats bullshit isn't making artists pay--
what's bullshit is people getting paid to endorse garbage and crap even they don't use...
i think its the most respectable that a company like Boogie treats their artists like customers... just like everyone else...
and they make such a good product everyone buys them up...
i think Korg doesn't give away anything free either...
to me its commenable- when people pay for what they use... rather than get paid or get it for free- pose with it and then use something else...

and with mesa they do give some benefits if you need stuff shipped... they also loan demos and stuff to people... and give big artists new unreleased stuff to try...

When i see a guitar player on tv mix matching mesa stuff (a mesa cab with a marshall head or a mesa head with a marshall cab) it tells me 'hey this stuff is really the best' becaues in most cases they bought the mesa gear themselves...

Example- Peavey JSX amp... endorsed the hell out of them- got paid by them...never used them

EVH puts his name on 'fender made' guitars but he also puts his name on other stuff- for example a dunlop wah pedal- and i can't recall any VH song with wah wah really. (i should be quiet i'm friends with the guy that runs the entire part of the company/dept)

Two more examples-

Richie Sambora for example has had signature guitars and endorsement deals with: jackson, charvel, hamer, gibson, kramer, fender, floyd rose guitars, ovation, Taylor, Martin, Zematis, WHAT THE FUCK

Scott Ian- same shit... Jackson/Charvel, BC Rich, Washburn, ESP, Gibson

look at Kiss- Paul Stanley endorsed Ibanez/washburn-- and gene simmons- now uses CORT basses- and there's two models a $450 version and a $5000 version
cort is cheap made in korea or china (i have a cort bass and love it) but those things cost $200 to make at most.. and he's charging $5000 for a $200 bass- cort is so bad that outside namm they had all day protests against them and their business practices...

Vai isn't bad about anything- he uses everything he endorses and he endorses good stuff he uses...

Satriani doesn't even use the pedals he invented/endorsed... and the marshall/peavey thing is BULLLLLSHIT defined.

but there are a ton of examples.

So Mesa not giving away anything is a good thing...

it means something in todays music industry.

Mesa boogie doesn't make Metallica/Petrucci talk about their gear positively- they're allowed to say 'this sucks' they don't get paid to preach their greatness- but they both have long relationships with the companies
it took metallica 2 albums until they could afford Mesa amps...

i wouldn't say metallica is 'moderatly wealthy' either... combined the members probably have a net worth close to a billion- lars/james are in the 200+ million each range... thats a lot of money

out of everyone i've ever met in my life- i think the two riches people i've met were lars/james

you can tell what brands desperately give stuff away because you see them on craigslist all the time... like

Metallica has used ESP guitars since the mid 80s other than a few gibsons they used to use...
Asshole Dave Mustaine... in the last 5 yrs... BC Rich/Jackson/Dean-- and he does it cuz they pay him not because he likes 'em

I take great respect in the companies that endorse me...especially at this level of my career. their support really means a lot to me and i appreciate it.

Zakk Wylde told me if he didn't have an endorsement deal with Gibson - he couldn't afford his own guitars...
i know another guy who had a big endorsement with a big gutiar company and his custom shop gutiars he had to pay for- and pay a shit ton of money for them

and to close with another example- Kirk Hammett endorses garbage randall amps now- and he knows they suck...so he gets paid by them to throw his name on crap... puts a few in racks with him on tour- and then uses Mesa Boogie Rectifier preamps for everything

kyle am I

#50 Post by kyle am I » Thu Aug 23, 2012 6:04 am

Jeries wrote:
kyle am I wrote:though I may not understand the whole industry and shit, I think its kind of a bullshit thing for artists to have to pay for the gear they endorse. You have to talk good about your company at your best, a d recommend them to other people. So much effort, yet the company has little/ no regard for the artists monetary needs. I mean, of. Of course metallica has moderatley wealthy members, and tours they hold pay for themselves es, but really. I wonder what its like with Carvin. I have never once seen ibanez thank Steve (who made ibanez big hands down) ir Joe (whim Steve introduced ibanez to) or show credit to the design Steve and Joe made. Maybe ill go Van Halen and make my own damn guitars.
No you're totally wrong...
whats bullshit isn't making artists pay--
what's bullshit is people getting paid to endorse garbage and crap even they don't use...
i think its the most respectable that a company like Boogie treats their artists like customers... just like everyone else...
and they make such a good product everyone buys them up...
i think Korg doesn't give away anything free either...
to me its commenable- when people pay for what they use... rather than get paid or get it for free- pose with it and then use something else...

and with mesa they do give some benefits if you need stuff shipped... they also loan demos and stuff to people... and give big artists new unreleased stuff to try...

When i see a guitar player on tv mix matching mesa stuff (a mesa cab with a marshall head or a mesa head with a marshall cab) it tells me 'hey this stuff is really the best' becaues in most cases they bought the mesa gear themselves...

Example- Peavey JSX amp... endorsed the hell out of them- got paid by them...never used them

EVH puts his name on 'fender made' guitars but he also puts his name on other stuff- for example a dunlop wah pedal- and i can't recall any VH song with wah wah really. (i should be quiet i'm friends with the guy that runs the entire part of the company/dept)

Two more examples-

Richie Sambora for example has had signature guitars and endorsement deals with: jackson, charvel, hamer, gibson, kramer, fender, floyd rose guitars, ovation, Taylor, Martin, Zematis, WHAT THE FUCK

Scott Ian- same shit... Jackson/Charvel, BC Rich, Washburn, ESP, Gibson

look at Kiss- Paul Stanley endorsed Ibanez/washburn-- and gene simmons- now uses CORT basses- and there's two models a $450 version and a $5000 version
cort is cheap made in korea or china (i have a cort bass and love it) but those things cost $200 to make at most.. and he's charging $5000 for a $200 bass- cort is so bad that outside namm they had all day protests against them and their business practices...

Vai isn't bad about anything- he uses everything he endorses and he endorses good stuff he uses...

Satriani doesn't even use the pedals he invented/endorsed... and the marshall/peavey thing is BULLLLLSHIT defined.

but there are a ton of examples.

So Mesa not giving away anything is a good thing...

it means something in todays music industry.

Mesa boogie doesn't make Metallica/Petrucci talk about their gear positively- they're allowed to say 'this sucks' they don't get paid to preach their greatness- but they both have long relationships with the companies
it took metallica 2 albums until they could afford Mesa amps...

i wouldn't say metallica is 'moderatly wealthy' either... combined the members probably have a net worth close to a billion- lars/james are in the 200+ million each range... thats a lot of money

out of everyone i've ever met in my life- i think the two riches people i've met were lars/james

you can tell what brands desperately give stuff away because you see them on craigslist all the time... like

Metallica has used ESP guitars since the mid 80s other than a few gibsons they used to use...
Asshole Dave Mustaine... in the last 5 yrs... BC Rich/Jackson/Dean-- and he does it cuz they pay him not because he likes 'em

I take great respect in the companies that endorse me...especially at this level of my career. their support really means a lot to me and i appreciate it.

Zakk Wylde told me if he didn't have an endorsement deal with Gibson - he couldn't afford his own guitars...
i know another guy who had a big endorsement with a big gutiar company and his custom shop gutiars he had to pay for- and pay a shit ton of money for them

and to close with another example- Kirk Hammett endorses garbage randall amps now- and he knows they suck...so he gets paid by them to throw his name on crap... puts a few in racks with him on tour- and then uses Mesa Boogie Rectifier preamps for everything
well, i didnt say the poeople who get free products dont abuse their power, but if i was endorsed, i sure as hell wouldnt put my name on anything that or endorse any company that i dont have a relationship with (not that it isnt better for other people). Its just i would need the satasfaction of being able to rely on a company no matter what (= relationship in my book). Steve is pretty good with his endorsments. he only uses legacies (exept for the extra fender on the 2007 tour), uses Ibanez guitars, uses dimarzio pickups, uses his little alligator (though it will be absent for this tour with his axe fx), rarley these days his bad horsie (in the WTWTR dvd it was hooked up to the fender amp, not the legacies) though it is on his board for the Gear Interview (which will probably be taken off eventually during the tour- steve never uses it, in the clinics, in his last tour, or any other event ive seen his wah in, like the experience hendrix tour), etc. but steve has to talk good about ibanez, you can see him glance sometimes to someone off screen in ibanez interviews when something negative might come up, then he changes it (like on the ibanez evo video, he was about to say "sort of evo replicas, but not perfect" , becauses theyre not, but he saw someone off camera and quickly changed subject)

Jeries

#51 Post by Jeries » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:59 am

There's also a big difference your missing

There's a difference between endorsements... free or discounted gear to use and say good things about...

and... getting paid by companies to use stuff/be seen with stuff-- or have products that you design/endorse/put your name on...

Vai has more of a business relationship with Ibanez than a simple endorsement deal.

There's a huge difference between getting a free this or that- verses getting paid and putting your name on products they sell.

I know a big company that is owned 50% by one of their biggest endorsers (technically his estate owns it because he passed away a few years ago)

Yngwie left dimarzio- they took his name off everything and called it something else- YJM pickups became HS-4 or something

I think when Vai went to Morley he wanted a pedal- and still uses it

However...when Vox and Satriani get together and make 15 pedals i've never seen him used...

kyle am I

#52 Post by kyle am I » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:44 am

well i bought a vox the other day, original, and im not too pleased with it. its too microphonic, every time i click it or move it, i hear it through my amp. and on top of that, it sucks tone (what little tone i do have). im not too suprised with satriani not using vox wahs if the same issues are present on all models (but i know the Vox original is almost the exact same as the crybaby original, i watched the whole history of wah thing on youtube from dunlop). but his distortions, i think i see him using those. i could be wrong, im not a hughe satriani guy.

Edit: Used Vox (i bought), from a friend (who is serious about pedals, keeps everything in the same condition as when its new). Its not the pot that sucks, its just the pedal. im... satisfied. but for $10, what can i expect?

Jeries

#53 Post by Jeries » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:31 am

vox and the low low end dunlops kill tone- sound like crap
bypassed or activated

i think even high end dunlops sound like crap too and even the 535q (satch used it for decades) kills tone also

even true bypassed ones

the only wah i'd ever use is a Morley Bad Horsie

I've owned dozens of wah pedals- trying to emulate the Kirk Hammett sound- at the time (long before the kirk wah) the Morley was the closest.

Satriani doesn't use ANY distortion from the amp
99% of the time he uses the clean channel of a Marshall and uses a Boss DS-1 for distortion

lately he's been using the most god awful amp ever made the Marshall JVM

He has had the two shitty distortion channels modified to sound less horrible

and i think they're released the JVM with his mods as his own signature
he uses the distortion of the JVM

but almost everything you hear is clean marshall + disortion pedals

tommyd48

#54 Post by tommyd48 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:48 pm

looks like the feds have seen it too lol.
R1FSR wrote:http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JYSPRCJ0

2012 ibanez catalogue

tommyd48

#55 Post by tommyd48 » Sun Aug 26, 2012 4:52 pm

interesting reading jeries,..really .

Bryceybhoy

#56 Post by Bryceybhoy » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:49 am

Jeries wrote:
Satriani doesn't use ANY distortion from the amp
99% of the time he uses the clean channel of a Marshall and uses a Boss DS-1 for distortion
Can you back this up? It's a pretty bold statement to make. I'm not picking a fight with you, but to say something like that you'd really have to back it up. I have seen a load of vids of Satch going through his rig and there's absolutely nothing to suggest he isn't using the drive channel.

You could easily criticise every artist for their endorsement endeavors. Vai releases the Carvin Legacy III and says it's the best amp he's ever had and that it's so good you don't need a distortion pedal.....months later he goes on tour and brings with him a Legacy 1....and a distortion pedal.

You could pick holes in every endorsement. Vai is a target too. Believe me, if Ibanez weren't paying him a fortune in the early 90s, he wouldn't be playing an Ibanez today. Money talks.

Nuno Bettencourt has NEVER endorsed an amp that he has recorded with. Strange, no?

Interesting stuff.

paulh123

#57 Post by paulh123 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:24 am

theres a great rig run through with satch on you tube(joe satriani talks about his live rig) where he clearly states that he used to use just the clean channel and a ds1 and later the satchurator pedal.
joe also states on the latest tour with the jvm410 he gets all the gain/distortion from the amp/s.

paulh123

#58 Post by paulh123 » Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:28 am

you also say jeries that joe never uses any pedals he endorses/designs,well there seems to be a few on his pedal board.

kyle am I

#59 Post by kyle am I » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:58 am

but I agree with Jeries, the JMV is he worst sounding alms I think I have ever heard PROFESSIONALLY played. I saw a G3 video and I almost went through 20 G3 jams to see what was wrong with Joe's sound. Now I know its just the amp.

Jeries

#60 Post by Jeries » Mon Aug 27, 2012 12:31 pm

Let’s see there’s a lot up there to reply to…
First- about the Clean+DS-1 sound…
First let me say Satriani has a great tone and you could give him anything and it will sound great- and with a clean marshall and a distortion pedal outplays me any day with a Road King and a Triaxis+290 (Combined 32 tubes).
Up until a year or two or three ago- he’s used his entire professional career a clean marshall amp with a boss ds-1…sometimes stock/modded/vintage… but that’s where most of his distortion has always come from- its in numerous videos/interviews/answers/posts/forums/its out there.
And as I said above- up until recently – he’s finally started using distortion from an amp- he uses 2 of the distortion channels on the JVM- he also had them modded/tweaked to be more to his tasting- Marshall is actually issuing a JVM with satch’s mods/specs to the two distortion channels as a signature jvm.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifie ... r-amp-head" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I’m not complaing about Joe’s tone- he sounds fine with it… from my own use/experience and almost blowing a shit ton of money on one- it was horrible and by far the worst money I ever spent. And they don’t have their value- new the amp I was trying was $2800 it was mint/perfect used at guitar center- I passed on it at $900 used. It was awful
Everyone has room to be critized in this area- I don’t beat Vai up about it- because he’s not that bad.
And are the pedals on his board there for use? Or for show?
I’ve seen him have turned off peavey amps with on marshalls behind them or on the side of the stage
Maybe he has recently- but I’ve never seen him use the Icebox OD or Delay- and I’ve seen him use other Wahs since his own….and with all guitar players you never know what is there just for show.