New IBANEZ JEM 70V Premium

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
Bryceybhoy

Re: New IBANEZ JEM 70V Premium

#16 Post by Bryceybhoy » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:31 am

Jeries wrote:get a super expensive amp first before you get an expensive guitar

none of my guitars are over $500
but any one of my amps (and a few processors) cost more than a JEM

decent guitar+dimarzio pickups+expensive amp > expensive guitar+ $100 amp

Legacy's are good amps for the money- but I'm talking about amps 2-3-4x the price of a legacy
Four times the price of a Legacy? Let's see, the RRP on a Legacy in the UK is around £1,200.....so you're talking about an amp that is neatly £5,000? What amp is £5,000?!

And what would be the difference between the two? I often think people spend too much money on things like that when they don't play in a band. If you're like me and just turn it up when the wife is out, you don't need any of the flashy stuff. You just need to sound good. I can't imagine a £5,000 is going to sound better than a Legacy. I could be wrong though. I usually am.

Jeries

#17 Post by Jeries » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:57 pm

I bought a Carvin Legacy head used for $400 New they were like $800

My current head costs with tax $3000 new (Mesa Boogie Road King)

Pape

#18 Post by Pape » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:12 am

I for one will be buying this. I think the SFG is classy. Love this color, so much better than the last 3 black ones....what ever happened to the fixed bridge anyways? Indo or not, Premium or Prestige, still as far as specs goes there is a .30mm neck radius difference. Chrome Hardware, and no scallops, and some would say a better fret dressing, which all can be matched by a skilled local luthier for $200 or less, at a $1300 decrease in street price, this is the best deal I've seen from Ibanez camp in a long time.

b2

#19 Post by b2 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:01 am

When will the new Jem70v be aVAIable for order? I live in Norway :mrgreen:

A bit funny, on http://www.ibanez.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; they have a spelling error:
URL: http://www.ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/Series-jem" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

- ...short list of payers...

well, I don't know if Mr. Vai pay for his guitars or not. But I guess it should say players.
I could not find email adress for ibanez so Mr. Vai can maybe tell them about this himself :wink:
well, just a spelling error.
Ehh... Mr. Vai, if you call Ibanez can you please ask when Jem70v will be available?
I think I read something about spring 2012? ...
Looks to be a nice guitar for the price so I can't wait to test one and maybe buy one.

b2

#20 Post by b2 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:45 pm

I got an answer from a seller today.
Can't trust the answers 100% but what I got was:

1. The Jem70V should be listed in 1-2 weeks.
2. The price will be around 1100 EURO (€)

By "listed in 1-2 weeks" I don't know if that means just listed at the web-shop
or in stock. Time will tell.

The price is close to what I guessed here in Europe.

I would love to have a Jem with maple fretboard.
What about a Jem70V with maple fretboard and pyramid inlays?
I guess it would look nice :)

b2

#21 Post by b2 » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:02 am

A quick and raw Photoshop edit gave me this result:

Well... maple neck or not to maple neck...
I must admit the Jem70V looks better with dark rosewood fretboard.
Maybe with a bit darker maple and the "tree of life" in sea foam green as the Jem70V got.
Or maybe not...

Well, can't wait to get my hands on a Jem70V! :mrgreen:

Edit: I just updated the image with a new Jem70V, now with "tree of life" in sort of sea foam green.
Well... I like it! The rosewood fretboard looks very nice also. I am not sure what I prefer, both are nice.
Should be able to buy an extra neck, so one could switch now and then.
Rosewood in summerdays and maple in dark winterdays.

kyle am I

#22 Post by kyle am I » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:21 pm

I'm glad they didn't put the stupid edge poo... er, I mean pro into this guitar I absolutely hate that trem with all my heart better than an original FR but it just isn't as solid or reliable. Its a really annoying part of ibanez history.

Jeries

#23 Post by Jeries » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:19 pm

real FLOYD ROSE
esp the made in Germany stuff
but real floyd rose (not licensed real FR) are the best trems you can buy

kyle am I

#24 Post by kyle am I » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:53 pm

I hate original floyds. They hardly stay in tune, look terrible and handle like a thousand pound rhino on a see saw... Imo of course :)

kyle am I

#25 Post by kyle am I » Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:58 pm

And maple fret boards are my fav, but on this guitar it looks wrong.

Imo most guitars with a maple fretboard have to have black hardware for me to really like it, or have a dark paint scheme going on.

I think this jem looks great with the rosewood, but though I like the sound of maple better, the guitar dosent "match" properly with the maple.

and also, SFG is a great way to go for a classier look to a jem guitar.

Hard to read, huh? X)

aaronm
Banned

#26 Post by aaronm » Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:31 pm

kyle am I wrote: I hate original floyds. They hardly stay in tune, look terrible and handle like a thousand pound rhino on a see saw... Imo of course :)
I have a floyd rose on my Hamer californian it stays in tune I have no problems with it I have owned this axe since 1980.

ocxcxd

#27 Post by ocxcxd » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:37 am

kyle am I wrote:I'm glad they didn't put the stupid edge poo... er, I mean pro into this guitar I absolutely hate that trem with all my heart better than an original FR but it just isn't as solid or reliable. Its a really annoying part of ibanez history.

They stopped putting EDGE PRO trems with model year 2010.

kyle am I

#28 Post by kyle am I » Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:45 pm

its just how I feel about them. They feel really clunky, thick and in the way. Not at all as streamlined as the ibanez ones, even the original edge.

Regarding the edge pro, this is a premium guitar, not a Prestige JEM. Usually, with their premiums, ibanez enhances the quality of the woods, frets, pickups, whatever. Usually though, they put a cheaper trem in it to keep it not as, well, prestige as a prestige. You can still buy the edge pro on the ibanez store, so their still being somewhat manufactured. Ibanez probably would have put the edge pro in this, and kept the better original edge for the full out prestige jems. That's just how they work. But for better, they have decided to put the original edge in, which makes me very happy. I am a fan of the older models, not the new ones. But I don't know why the lo pro isn't stock on jems and prestiges alike. I think it is the best ibanez tremolo ever manufactured, and most people love it more than any other ibanez. I guess it was too expensive, which is annoying.

ocxcxd

#29 Post by ocxcxd » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:07 am

They wouldn't put EDGE Pro in this model. EDGE Pro is an older design, so if they would put something cheapy there, that would be an EDGE Zero II. Well, you can buy an EDGE or Lo-Pro EDGE in the Ibanez Store too, so that's nothing special, they're spare parts..... I like the idea of putting original EDGE trem in this JEM, also I think that if not prestige (cause they put EDGE Zero's in them, excluding signature series), premium guitars would deserve EDGE or Lo-PRO tremolos. I have it in one of my guitars, and to me, it's waaaaay better (with the Lo-PRO), than any EDGE Zero, EDGE III, EDGE Pro or FR.
Last edited by ocxcxd on Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

EyE

#30 Post by EyE » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:46 am

btw, Steve is using a Jem70V during the current G3 tour and it has a sustainer in it.