Ibanez Sparkle Blue Jem

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
Prev

Ibanez Sparkle Blue Jem

#1 Post by Prev » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:34 am

would love to see a reissue of the sparkle blue jem or even another new color model
how do we get Ibanez to make this happen? :D

kyle am I

Re: Ibanez Sparkle Blue Jem

#2 Post by kyle am I » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:19 pm

Simple. Meet steve, move to California, stalk him for a bit (maybe not), hold EVO for ransom, and ask nicely. Do this, and the reissue will be yours lol. I want a reissue for the 777s, especially in pink.

Jeries

#3 Post by Jeries » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:21 pm

honestly- it would be cheaper if you had one custom built or refinished than ibanez issuing some super special one

I almost got a Sparkle Blue RG 517 or 512 or 570 or something like that a few days ago

kyle am I

#4 Post by kyle am I » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:05 pm

Ibanez won't reissue the guitar because it would seem that Ibanez is an all around company with tons of customers and signature artists. What many people don't get, is that to create new guitars by demand, where do they get more luthiers and employees to make them. If every fan from every signature artist wanted a reissue, I ibanez woud have too many products for itself to handle. Steve is not the only artist sponsored and given a series by ibanez, there's Satch and Paul Gilbert and tons others. There are just as many fans of them as there are steve, and some are fans of all. Ibanez describes itself as a small buisness in their warranty card. Read it on a JEM or RG card, and you will see they describe themselves as a small family run buisness. With that said, a prestige sparkle blue jem along with every other signature artist reissue would be in high demand. More demand, more experienced luthiers (that dont even exist, newcomers have little or no experience) more underexperienced/undertrained employees, larger wharehouses, higher prices, will all contribute to bad quality. Ibanez prides itself on having a small, quality controlled, peaceful buisness that almost drifts, never in a rush or a fight to be the best company. The more ibanez has to make, the more quality goes down. They have always managed to keep a watchful eye on quality. This means more time for a prestige guitar to truly be prestige, for more "love" to be used instead of inventory checks and production increases. So see, I would love a reissue of the pink 777, or the LNG. I would also love more original FPs, but that would contribute to a lower industry standard. Not good. Plus, banez has recently released a new JEM. The FP2. But people still want more. Not talking about u guys, u have a simple desire and that's good. That's what keeps companies such as ibanez alive. An interest in their next releases. But ibanez has a scedule and other artists, and must share the luthiers and workers between them. They can't blow off Paul because he hasn't sold 777,777 of his guitars. They can't say to sach take a hike we hve other things to do. Every artist has their turns to release a new product. Not only that, but ibanez has to think about the money aspect of the chain. They can't just make every guitar a prestige or a jem, that would cost more $$$ and would sell for more $$$. Some people ( like me) can't purchase a $2,500 guitar. I'm only 13. Instead, for us children and early musicians, we must rely on our equipment and not dwell on not having a JEM. I would love one, and think I deserve it for already playing out and o. Stages and theatres, but I make due with what I have and have fun with it. Ibanez is not Gibson, everything a prestige kind instrument. Ibanez has low price gutars with good quality ( suchas my moddedrg 350 mp) more reissues would take away from our quality and such. That's not to say ibanez shouldn't or won't reissue it, just they have to thi k things out and plan. They must thi k onthe long run trail like me and find what would be the best course of action. Onne guitar reissue might not be bad, but with money so tight, they must think about the causes and effects of the situation. Every fan wants their own favorite guitar reissued me the fp, u the sparkle blue, and lots more. But ibanez must keep up with demands and quality while balancing even productivity and popularity with each artist and user. They must maintain a helpful buisness and good buisness. Btw spellcheck on my iPod sorry .

kyle am I

#5 Post by kyle am I » Tue Nov 29, 2011 8:11 pm

Wait sorry iwrote 777,777 guitars I ment seventy seven thousand not seven hundred thousand seven hundred seventy seven. Woo, now I think I know why steve likes that number it's fun to say lol! :D :P :lol:

Jeries

#6 Post by Jeries » Tue Nov 29, 2011 10:43 pm

Kyle,
You're giving Ibanez 1000x more credit than they deserve. They're not a small company, they're a huge company- they have a dozen factories make their guitars along with other companies/manufactures (cort/samick etc).

I don't know if you've seen an ibanez past lets say 2005-- put little to no quality in them- esp the ones made in indonesia

There quality has been down hill since 2000, and are constitly downgrading all their parts... esp their trems to save money.

Ibanez makes a TON of guitars... their PRESTIGE guitars i think are now made in Korea... not only japan...

even if ibanez reissues ever guitar they've ever made- i don't think it would lower their standards- only because i don't think they can get any lower...

cheap labor keeps ibanez alive

they can afford to make every guitar a prestige or a JEM... good workmanship should be on everything they make not just $2000+

Gibson is just as bad as any other brand out there... I've toured their factory... met many of the people there (they let me co-run the tour with them because i knew more about Gibson than all the employees did)
Gibsons are MASSED PRODUCED and have been making awful instruments since the late 90s.

You mention Satch/Paul/etc...
there's only one guy at IBANEZ that actually uses an IBANEZ and it's Steve Vai- he uses, MADE IN JAPAN JEMs just like the one's you'd get in a store (obiously many he has in his collection are one offs/prototypes and LACS guitars)

EVERY OTHER ARTIST- doesn't even really use an Ibanez... they use guitars hand made in LA by the best people in the world and they put ibanez on the headstock-- and are NOTHING like the ones they sell for consumers (which is bullshit)

On the other hand, I love the guitars- i have a bunch of them and still use them as my main guitars til this day... i'm contemplating electrical taping over IBANEZ on all the headstocks when i start gigging or touring again... I'm not a fan of where they're going/what they do or how they do business...

kyle am I

#7 Post by kyle am I » Wed Nov 30, 2011 11:38 am

Ok, ibanez is not exactly a charity, they are a buisness who manufacture many guitars, but I will not admit that quality is low. On my RG 350 mp made in indoneisia, there's not a single issue. It's not a JEM, but it's a great guitar. Quality is still in ibanez, the only downgrade in the last 10 years was the introduction if the edge 3 trem, and that's still pretty good. Ibanez has great guitars and great service, and you honestly think ibanez sponsors are going elsewhere? So what, some endorsees may have different guitars but they are still with ibanez. The only person who I know of who left ibanez was the guy from evanescence, and that seems like a personal matter and I don't know why he left but it certainly wasn't quality issues. If steve wasn't with ibanez, where would he be? What manufacturer would he use? A little shop in LA making 77,777 jems. Do u have a jem? Look at the quality and amzing features on jest the neck, even more the body. I don't think u r giving ibanez the credit they deserve. The economy is horrible, so everyone is hurtin'. If ibanez quality goes down even just a little, will you continue to critiscize? They still deliver fantastic instruments at amazing prices and when the econmy lifts, all will b good. Plus, steve wouldn't endorse a company who has bad quality, he proved that when he said "every other manufacturers product sucked!" he said that in an interview once. And if it's great for steve, ibanez is the holy Grail for me. Steve uses them, so let's keep our sanity in check, unless ur not a vai fan and are for some wierd reason on the vai forum! :D

Jeries

#8 Post by Jeries » Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:59 pm

Dave Weiner left ibanez
Carol Kaye left Ibanez
John Petrucci left Ibanez
John 5 left Ibanez
Wes Borland left Ibanez
Chris Broderick (Megadeth) left Ibanez
Jennifer Batten left ibanez and said EVERY ONE OF HER IBANEZ GUITAR NECKS WARPED

I know 100 people that left ibanez...

There are many endorsers that have gone elsewhere... some people have a better deal/relationship with some companies than others... Les Paul got a good amount of money every time a guitar with his name was sold.

And very few Ibanez endorsees actually used guitars made outside of the LA Custom Shop- Steve is one that does use Japan guitars... I respect him greatly for using the guitars he endorses- AND with Carvin for example... using the amps with his name on it- and making them very affordable.

Ibanez doesn't deserve much credit lately where they are heading...

I don't own a JEM today, and don't plan on it- you want to talk about quality cuts- in 2004 they put a cheap bridge in it and used cheaper rosewood instead of ebony AND THEN raised the price $800.

Actually there is many shops that make JEMs
this guy named CHRISTOPHER WOODS makes JEM guitars an Ibanez RG that would blow away anything Ibanez makes

the economy isn't an excuse to make crap- or give them a little slack to make garbage... and these instruments are produced very cheaply overseas... they aren't made by the greatest luthiers in the world- they are mass produced in factories (LA Custom shop guitars, the ones Satriani uses or PG uses are)

I have an RG350 also- in fact I put twice what the guitar was worth into it... and it took 3 set ups to get in tune and from day one the neck pocket began to crack for no reason.

The quality of Ibanez generally down the line today from Japan to Indonesia is low

The quality of Indonesia is LOW- the quality is low
the EDGE trems are horrible (late 1990s/2000 edge low pro are the best bridges ever made- everything today is trash)
And Steve gets sent their best guitars not what they send guitar center to sell for $450

Once again i have MULTIPLE Ibanez guitars

I have an expensive ibanez classical, an nice ibanez acoustic (talman)
and many many many custom RGs 6/7 string

Even this week i was going to buy 2 new PRESTIGEs

DomitianX

#9 Post by DomitianX » Thu Dec 01, 2011 6:40 am

Jem's are a decent quality guitar. Not high quality, not crappy, but decent. I prefer to play late 80s early 90s Ibanez guitars. Back when the neck profiles ruled and the quality was there.

There are lots of other people out there that will build you a high quality Jem copy if you want one, but you are going to pay more for it. Custom guitars by guys like Woods, Sherman, Bernie Rico, etc are not cheap. $3k to $4k+ or so for a top quality guitar.

BTW, Christopher Woods is someone I wouldnt deal with. Just google him and check out the posts on lots of guitar forums about his quality and customer service issues. I would avoid him.

Also, Ibanez doesnt really manufacture anything. They are a design company. They design them, someone else builds them. Their guitars are mostly built by Fujigen.

paulh123

#10 Post by paulh123 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:52 am

fwiw i have owned 2 jems,a 1989 floral 77 and a 2007 jem7vw and to say the quality of there guitars has gone downhill is not really justified,neither guitar had quality issues,sure i preferred the neck profile of the fp but the 7vw looked/sounds amazing and played great.the ebony board looks real nice on the earlier jem7vs but a switch back to rosewood is hardly dropping quality imho.

if you want to mention guitars that are no longer as good as they used to be look at prs,i remember in the 1980`s the custom 24 was an amazing guitar to play,the sustain was incredible and they sounded outstanding.you now have to pay a huge sum of money for a private stock guitar that is similar to the original prs guitars,to me the jem has stayed pretty consistent over the 20+years its been sold and the prices the same.i bought the floral jem in 1989 new and cost me £900,in 1993 i nearly bought a new 7vw and it was £1200 approx and the 07 7vw i paid £1100 second hand so prices have only really kept up with the times and in uk 20% is vat(around £500 on a new jem).for a factory made guitar they are all pretty good(jems)

Jeries

#11 Post by Jeries » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:06 am

I agree with both you guys...

My comments were never really targeted specifically at the JEM, just almost every other model they make- I have no big complaints about the JEM and Ibanez made some of the greatest instruments made from the late 80s til late 90s.

PRS has gone down- along with Gibson and most brands- it keeps my guitar tech flourishing

I think early 80s PRS are going to be the 1959 les paul of today

I've known Christopher Woods for a year or two now- I've never used/bought his guitars but I think he's a good guy- and makes incredible instruments.

kyle am I

#12 Post by kyle am I » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:13 pm

Ibanez quality hasn't gone down too much. Rosewood is not a downgrade, more like an upgrade in my opinion. And the only issue was the edge 3, def not my favorite trem. The original Floyd rose beats that crap. What in saying is that ibanez is not a bad company and for some people like me (only 13 years old only make like $500 a year) I can't move from NJ to LA or just as much spend $4000-5000 on a guitar. But it's an opinion and opinions are what make the world different. If everyone was the same, there would be no JEM. If there was no opinion, steve never would have developed his style. Without opinion...without opinion... The would be no For The Love Of God!!! Aaaaa! Anyway, ibanez is good for me and prob everyone who owns one. U sed urself u have and was going to buy a new one... 2 in fact . So maybe we should keep our posts relevant to the original topic... everyone for a sparkle blue jem, say I. IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILOVEIBANEZIIIIIIII IIII :D

bennyvx78

#13 Post by bennyvx78 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 2:14 pm

Re-issue'ing old Jem guitars? Not a good idea. Especially the Jem777LNG. That guitar should remain
rare,unique and a highly sought ever collectors item. I would be pretty lame, to be able to finally find one,
and then find out it some lame re-issue. We still want the real thing, and some ...remake right?

kyle am I

#14 Post by kyle am I » Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:09 am

Yes, I agree with you. But the new 25 anniversary RGs are going to.be the exact same color schemes, which.aorta bothers.me. if ibanez will do that its not exactly.the same but it seems like a knock off. They should make a 35 anniversary acrylic bodied hem, but not swirled, just in solid clear Colors.

Jeries

#15 Post by Jeries » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:59 am

they make chinese knockoff completely clear/acrylic jems...

i have a knockoff gibson SG it's amazing

also- even if ibanez reissued something someone in here wants- it would probably be the same price if not cheaper to just have your own custom built from scratch