Ibanez, Jackson, Suhr, Caparison, Carvin, Parker, ESP?

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
Jeries

Re: Ibanez, Jackson, Suhr, Caparison, Carvin, Parker, ESP?

#16 Post by Jeries » Sun Nov 15, 2009 9:28 am

boswell wrote:
Jeries wrote:dude i'm in the same shitty predicament...

i want a new nice guitar... but they all suck...
A custom build by a local guitar maker is the way forward then...... and will probably work out cheaper than all those over priced signature models that everyones so fond of! :wink:
yeah- a few notable musicians use them 2 of the guys from transsiberian orchestra and jeff scott soto (journey singer at one time) among others....

i have a nice endorsement deal for acoustic guitars so i got that covered... its just about the right elec guitar
Big Bad Bill wrote:
boswell wrote:Whats different about them?
They substituted with cheaper components so the electrics are prone to failure, the pick ups aren't voiced as nicely as the originals, the general workmanship/carpentry is of a lower standard, just like the rest of present-day Gibson guitars. They just tried to maximise their profit but it had a noticeable impact on the Parker's.
about the present day Gibson comment... totally true compared to their older work (although they are very particular of the quality they release)
everything they make not up to standard is destroyed (once a month by smashing at a company party)

they used to sell their blem stuff for half off they told me some time in the mid/late 80s-90s or something and they sold more blem guitars than new ones so stopped doing that- took useable parts off of them and broke them in half. and after everythings broken its put into a chipper so no one can go dumpsterdiving for guitar necks (which i'd probly do)

everything made by epiphone now is made in china which is kind of a rip off for the $800 zakk wylde...

Big Bad Bill

#17 Post by Big Bad Bill » Mon Nov 16, 2009 3:16 am

Jeries wrote:about the present day Gibson comment... totally true compared to their older work (although they are very particular of the quality they release)
everything they make not up to standard is destroyed (once a month by smashing at a company party)
I had an acquaintance who owned a guitar shop (in the UK) and he suggested he had to hire a luthier to come when his Gibson stock was delivered, to not just set up Gibson's guitars, but often to carry out remedial work to make them of merchantable quality. He even suggested that he'd had to send half a delivery back to Gibson from time-to-time because there was nothing that could be done to make the guitars playable. Fender was somewhat similar.

Its hearsay I know, but...

boswell

#18 Post by boswell » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:03 am

Have a read of this posted by an ex Gibson retailer:

http://www.guitars.co.uk/forum/ubbthrea ... 72&fpart=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jeries

#19 Post by Jeries » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:18 pm

Big Bad Bill wrote:
Jeries wrote:about the present day Gibson comment... totally true compared to their older work (although they are very particular of the quality they release)
I had an acquaintance who owned a guitar shop (in the UK) and he suggested he had to hire a luthier to come when his Gibson stock was delivered, to not just set up Gibson's guitars, but often to carry out remedial work to make them of merchantable quality. He even suggested that he'd had to send half a delivery back to Gibson from time-to-time because there was nothing that could be done to make the guitars playable. Fender was somewhat similar.

Its hearsay I know, but...
i worked at guitar center and after gretch was bought by fender they weren't down...
guitars would come out of boxes new with cracks in the necks and be just garbage... and were talking a guitar thats street price is $3000.

Big Bad Bill

#20 Post by Big Bad Bill » Tue Nov 17, 2009 12:50 am

Jeries wrote:i worked at guitar center and after gretch was bought by fender they weren't down...
guitars would come out of boxes new with cracks in the necks and be just garbage... and were talking a guitar thats street price is $3000.
Its just incredible, isn't it? How can it be profitable to have such sloppy workmanship/skill and then quality control? Surely making guitars isn't a 'black' art any more that fine cabinet making is. Perhaps the skill just doesn't exist anymore in these companies? Perhaps, due to customer demand, they're sticking to designs that are 50 years old complete with their flaws. Its discombobulating!

boswell

#21 Post by boswell » Tue Nov 17, 2009 1:02 am

Thats mass production for you!
Also makes me laugh how you yanks turn your nose up at guitars made in Korea, Japan, China etc. when Gibson and Fender turn out such rubbish in the US
:D

Jeries

#22 Post by Jeries » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:30 pm

good point above
gibson may be all hand made but its still mass production

Stephen Brown

#23 Post by Stephen Brown » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:36 pm

Japanese craftsmanship is second to none. If you think in terms of sword craftsmanship where the Japanese craft was passed from generation to generation & then turn that pashion to wood, well....

xIPiZzAIx
Newcomer

#24 Post by xIPiZzAIx » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:40 am

Stephen Brown wrote:Japanese craftsmanship is second to none. If you think in terms of sword craftsmanship where the Japanese craft was passed from generation to generation & then turn that pashion to wood, well....
my jackson was made in japan and i love it. it may be a post fender guitar. but i think it fits the bill just fine :) have yet to have a problem!! the only thing i have done is tightened the volume knob and changed the strings!! i love it. idc what anyone says its a quality instrumend. its also a 1300 hundred dollar guitar but i got it for 400 cause of a paint nick hehe i was proud of myself

Dyens

#25 Post by Dyens » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:21 pm

Let me just say that anyone dissing Suhr guitars is not the person to talk to about nice instruments.

aaronm
Banned

#26 Post by aaronm » Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:04 pm

interesting posts here it never hurts to buy a nice guitar then make it your own give it a re wire [with better wiring] after market pick ups set it up the way you like it and ya da ya da ya da

better volume and tone pots if its a shit trem replace it with a better one and so on then the axe becomes yours its more satisfying then.

you know its rare for a good fussy player to take a new guitar straight out of the box play it , love it with out making adjustments .
As for Gibson never did like them ....but wouldnt mind a flying V to put on my wall .

kyle am I

#27 Post by kyle am I » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:13 pm

ha, that's about all their good for :)
aaronm wrote:interesting posts here it never hurts to buy a nice guitar then make it your own give it a re wire [with better wiring] after market pick ups set it up the way you like it and ya da ya da ya da

better volume and tone pots if its a shit trem replace it with a better one and so on then the axe becomes yours its more satisfying then.

you know its rare for a good fussy player to take a new guitar straight out of the box play it , love it with out making adjustments .
As for Gibson never did like them ....but wouldnt mind a flying V to put on my wall .

aaronm
Banned

#28 Post by aaronm » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:47 pm

yeah a bit of history on the wall....

ZeyerGTR

#29 Post by ZeyerGTR » Mon May 21, 2012 2:22 pm

I've played some really, really amazing Suhrs. Like Carvin, you can get stainless frets standard, but they also go further with choices of nut width, neck profile and size, pickup options (and their pickups are amazing), chambering, any wood combo... tons of options to get something custom built to your specs. However, if you want one "off the shelf" it's going to be extremely high quality.

tk777

#30 Post by tk777 » Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:18 am

I’ve owned many guitars over the years. Fender, Gibson, Jackson, Ibanez, Gretsch, PRS, EB Musicman and Suhr. And I’ve played lots of different brands too. But I’ve never owned a guitar that was as well built as the Suhr Modern I had. I wish I’d never have traded it in. It was effortless to play, sounded mega both clean and distorted, looked stunning and the craftsmanship was just incredible. Expensive guitars but worth in my opinion.

Not knocking the other guitars (well maybe some of them!) but the Suhr wiped the floor with any guitar I’ve ever played.