Ibanez Jem7v vs Ernie Ball Music Man John Petrucci

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
tk777

I know this is a Vai forum but please try and help me out. I have always wanted a Jem 7v and I like it a lot but I've tried a Music Man John Petrucci (standard 6 string model, NOT a bfr) and it is just out of this world and I think in terms of playing i'd get a lot more out of it. But i'm a massive Vai fan and It has always been a dream of mine to get a Jem 7v and now I have. But the petrucci is just awesome (mainly because of the trem being nearly impossible to put out of tune, where as my jem goes flat all the time but is set up perfect)

I would trade but I dunno

Please help me out guys.
teokiatuan

well i can tell you that i love my jp6 :mrgreen:

has the piezo etc, and is alot less common than the jem i think
very special guitar <3
i love everything about it
mystic dream color is awesome too, doesn't come on the bfr models sadly

oh and by the way the only difference with the bfr is that different woods are used
they are made on the same production line
yup
and the fancy case of course
too expensive for me

and another thing, ebmm customer service is top notch, just top notch
i sent them an email the other day about the trem pitting just a little bit, not noticeable from playing level
they sent out a replacement part straight away no questions asked
good guys

i would say that if the jp6 feels and sounds better to YOU
go for it bro

jp6 all the way :headbang
Patill

well, if it is like that you should go for the JP6, but only for THAT Jp6 you think is out of this world. Guitars are diffrent you know. Maybe you just got a bad JEM, and there are a lot out there...I´ve never played a better one than mine. Actually I played Evo, that one should be out of discussion ;). But I think very deeply, that Steve would "approve" my guitar as very good ;). I didn´t find a very big difference between Evo and mine except the age, which is a big factor of its own of course.

Music Man builts very good instruments. Adn if your JEM sucks, what holds you back ;). Seems like you found a good guitar, the idea is to grab them.
Last edited by Patill on Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
notavirtuoso

Do what your fingers and ears like best. Steve and John would probably tell you the same thing.
Andreas Holand
Newcomer

Very stupid thing to buy or get a guitar just for the "prestige" of its kind and label.
I like Steve Vai too, but I am writing music that sounds a lot more like John Petrucci.
I'm all into the prog world.
When that is said, I've always played Ibanez.
I would naver trade a perfect guitar for _me_ and _my_ hands, just to play the same instrument as Petrucci.
NOT gonna happen..

If you find a guitar that feels good in your hands... stay with it tills you find something better.

But I have to say... If I had a million bucks, yeah sure.. It would look nice with a jp7 on the wall :wink:
Patill

Andreas Holand wrote: I would naver trade a perfect guitar for _me_ and _my_ hands, just to play the same instrument as Petrucci.
NOT gonna happen..
he wants to trade the JEM for the Petrucci because the Petrucci feels better. That´s what he says. And he should do it if he can.
Andreas Holand
Newcomer

I'm sorry guys.. I read through the thing a little too fast. I'm norwegian, so maybe I should practice my english a little better. Sorry again.
tk777

Another thing is

I know this shouldn't even come into the matter but the EBMM JP is just plain black with small dots and doesn't look nowhere near as good as the jem. And also bare in mind I am 16 and if I was to get rid of the jem I would probably not get one back for a very long time if I wanted another one.

I really love jem 7v's but theres just something about that petrucci
Patill

tk777 wrote: I know this shouldn't even come into the matter but the EBMM JP is just plain black with small dots and doesn't look nowhere near as good as the jem.
well, then just cry a little bit ;).
tk777

Haha, I suppose all of us guitarists get put in these situations all the time.

I'm probably better off sticking with the jem :)
pipowicz

tk777 wrote:
I'm probably better off sticking with the jem :)
I hope so. :peace
Patill

pipowicz wrote: I hope so. :peace

why? Just because it´s a JEM? If mine was a piece of bullshit, I´d kick it out as fast as I could ;). I mean of course his isn´t a piece of bullshit by quote, but he found a better guitar. So you usually should hope he´s going for that one.

For me, the only good JEM I´ve ever played is my own (whell, that´s why she became mine^^). Really, I´ve played some. All of them made my fingers slow because of a bad fretboard or bad action, there was fret buzz as hell in not so low setting areas, it was just horrible. I also don´t think it´s a setup thing, but a matter of wood etc. So you couldn´t get it away by oiling the frertboard. They were well oiled. Those guitars felt just wrong and by sound they were.
pipowicz

Patill wrote:

why? Just because it´s a JEM? If mine was a piece of bullshit, I´d kick it out as fast as I could ;). I mean of course his isn´t a piece of bullshit by quote, but he found a better guitar. So you usually should hope he´s going for that one.

For me, the only good JEM I´ve ever played is my own (whell, that´s why she became mine^^). Really, I´ve played some. All of them made my fingers slow because of a bad fretboard or bad action, there was fret buzz as hell in not so low setting areas, it was just horrible. I also don´t think it´s a setup thing, but a matter of wood etc. So you couldn´t get it away by oiling the frertboard. They were well oiled. Those guitars felt just wrong and by sound they were.
What i only want to say is that i play Jems since 1990 and i can highly recommend these instruments. Well setup Jems are fine players. Don't know anything about this MusicMan.
Patill

pipowicz wrote:
Patill wrote:

What i only want to say is that i play Jems since 1990 and i can highly recommend these instruments. Well setup Jems are fine players. Don't know anything about this MusicMan.

music mans quality diffusion is lower than the one of Ibanez by far. Like I said, I played one good JEM, and there were some ;). I think the only craftsmen that build guitars with even a lower quality diffusion is PRS.

Ibanez is still ok though, not as bad as Gibson and Fender...
prman

The guitars you mentioned are different from each other but both of ´em will propably suit your needs. You don´t need to get a permission for your purchases here. Get what you want.