Why is Ibanez discontinuing selling quality parts?

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
Message
Author
Patill
Member
Member
Posts: 1096
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:54 am
Location: right in front of my screen...

Why is Ibanez discontinuing selling quality parts?

#1 Post by Patill » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:06 am

Hey!

I´ve been asking myself for a long time. Why doesn´t Ibanez sell their parts like the Edge trems seperately any more? I mean they are good quality parts and I know plenty of people who would like to have one in a cutom built guitar or so...

So it is with the Ibanez Backstop. I mean those little things could really help you out and I don´t think they would sell bad. You know with this tremsetter stuff you have to drill holes into your guitars etc, the back stop is just screwed in, boom. One of their best parts to keep guitars in tune. Discontinued.

Why didn´t it work out? I mean did just nobody tell them or what 8)?

tom1325
Member
Member
Posts: 93
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:44 am

Re: Why is Ibanez discontinuing selling quality parts?

#2 Post by tom1325 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:36 am

the ibanez backstop got discontinued because of something to do with the licensing i think

j.arledge
Member
Member
Posts: 1494
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:38 am
Location: S.A. texas

Re: Why is Ibanez discontinuing selling quality parts?

#3 Post by j.arledge » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:33 pm

they quit selling the trem because they had to pay for using the floyd rose design. i think it was something like $11 or $12 per trem made. The license contract or patent for the base design of i belive the original edge ran out so that is why they switched from the edge 2 to the edge 3 so quickly. Now these aren't great trems but the ZR is significantly better than previous models.

either way i think it had a lot of do with cost of production more then anything else

Jeries
Member
Member
Posts: 1545
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:18 am
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Contact:

Re: Why is Ibanez discontinuing selling quality parts?

#4 Post by Jeries » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:19 pm

my edge is garbage
i had to get the guitar blocked because it was unusable

Patill
Member
Member
Posts: 1096
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:54 am
Location: right in front of my screen...

Re: Why is Ibanez discontinuing selling quality parts?

#5 Post by Patill » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:31 am

Jeries wrote:my edge is garbage
i had to get the guitar blocked because it was unusable
seems to need a good setup ;).

Jeries
Member
Member
Posts: 1545
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:18 am
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Contact:

Re: Why is Ibanez discontinuing selling quality parts?

#6 Post by Jeries » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:53 am

i had a $100 fret dress/setup and 2 $60 set ups buy the best guy in town in the last year.

I just got the guitar back yesterday and the floating tremolo still has issues.

DEAR IBANEZ- PLEASE CURE YOUR WOOD -Jeries

where its at is the best it is going to be without buying a late 90s edge lopro-

j.arledge
Member
Member
Posts: 1494
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:38 am
Location: S.A. texas

Re: Why is Ibanez discontinuing selling quality parts?

#7 Post by j.arledge » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:55 am

well if it didn't setup right then there could be a few reasons why .

First off the original edge is a little more difficult then even a normal floyd because you can't see the base plate to get it close to neutral.

second he may not have the time/ability to set it up right. Most floyds i can setup in 30 minuets to an hour, ibanez floyds are always over an hour for me to setup right.

third. the knife edge could be worn dirty or corroded. I always pull the floyd out of the guitar and clean the posts and edges then use some lube, like wd40 or gt85 .

either way i doubt that it is the trem's design that is preventing it from setting up right.

Patill
Member
Member
Posts: 1096
Joined: Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:54 am
Location: right in front of my screen...

Re: Why is Ibanez discontinuing selling quality parts?

#8 Post by Patill » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:12 am

Jeries wrote:i had a $100 fret dress/setup and 2 $60 set ups buy the best guy in town in the last year.

I just got the guitar back yesterday and the floating tremolo still has issues.

DEAR IBANEZ- PLEASE CURE YOUR WOOD -Jeries

where its at is the best it is going to be without buying a late 90s edge lopro-
did you ever look at ibanezrules for a proper setup? You should do this yourself, it´s easy and necessary in the future if you want to save money and keep your guitar where it belongs (in your hands). Actually I could thnk about making a shop myself :lol:. It´s so easy to do those things yourself and in the end you know what has been done!!!

You can also set the edge trem right if you look at the knifes on the side. Everything is written on ibanezrules and they have some small tricks to get it good.

User avatar
Ekim
Member
Member
Posts: 471
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2003 3:34 pm
Location: Indianapolis, IN, USA

Re: Why is Ibanez discontinuing selling quality parts?

#9 Post by Ekim » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:01 pm

8 years ago I paid $75 at what is probably Indianapolis' "most pro" store for my UV to be set up. It wasn't even in tune when I got it home.

There are a LOT of very lousy setup guys out there. I'm about ready to give up on finding a good one.

j.arledge
Member
Member
Posts: 1494
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:38 am
Location: S.A. texas

Re: Why is Ibanez discontinuing selling quality parts?

#10 Post by j.arledge » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:54 pm

i am the guitar tech for my local music shop. I do the best i can but i know that i am not the greatest out there. Some guitars are hard to setup for whatever reason, and i dont always have a couple of hours to spend on every guitar. It isn't a matter of me not being able to do.

If i know that i didn't get it 100% then i dont charge them or charge them very little. A floyd restring is $40 because i typically have to do a setup on it. If i know it doesn't need a setup then they get charged $12 which is the standard price for stringing 4-7 string, 8 and up is $24.

either way it is hard to do/get a good setup on certain guitars, yours may be one of the difficult ones but if you got charged that much he better damn well have spent a few hours on it.

User avatar
Hub
Member
Member
Posts: 165
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:02 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: Why is Ibanez discontinuing selling quality parts?

#11 Post by Hub » Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:39 am

Patill wrote:
Jeries wrote:i had a $100 fret dress/setup and 2 $60 set ups buy the best guy in town in the last year.

I just got the guitar back yesterday and the floating tremolo still has issues.

DEAR IBANEZ- PLEASE CURE YOUR WOOD -Jeries

where its at is the best it is going to be without buying a late 90s edge lopro-
did you ever look at ibanezrules for a proper setup? You should do this yourself, it´s easy and necessary in the future if you want to save money and keep your guitar where it belongs (in your hands). Actually I could thnk about making a shop myself :lol:. It´s so easy to do those things yourself and in the end you know what has been done!!!

You can also set the edge trem right if you look at the knifes on the side. Everything is written on ibanezrules and they have some small tricks to get it good.
+10000000... Insert endless amount of zeros here

We seem to have the same idea about most things Patill, nice! :)

Jeries, it's not your original Edge that has problems, it's your tech

User avatar
Breeder
Member
Member
Posts: 632
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 10:12 am
Location: Zagreb, Croatia

Re: Why is Ibanez discontinuing selling quality parts?

#12 Post by Breeder » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:10 pm

jeries, buy schaller <3 <3 <3

but yea, patill and hub are right...it`s pretty simple and best results are made by you, cause let`s face it...you will play it, not your tech...you know exactly what you want (best example would be with intonation...everybody plays things differently)

setting up a guitar is not nuclear science...it is simple mechanics guided by simple laws :P

dayday
Newcomer
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Dec 28, 2013 10:40 pm

Re: Why is Ibanez discontinuing selling quality parts?

#13 Post by dayday » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:05 pm

I know this thread is old from 2009 but I found it by looking at the google for why the backstops were discontinued and figured I would answer... For about 380 bucks you can buy a brand new in box original Edge Trem from Ibanez on their parts support page. I just ordered one should have it in about a week or so.

check the link
http://shop.ibanez.com/p/2ed1r31pc-edge ... osmo?pp=24" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

however what is missing from their parts pages is the backstop which leads me here :(

Im sure its been answered many times here and on JEMsite and I shall continue my search
in the end the few I saw on the Bay were in shite condition missing the rubber stoppers and the springs were worn out or the tension thumb wheels were gunked up to the point of unusability.

Jeries
Member
Member
Posts: 1545
Joined: Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:18 am
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Contact:

Re: Why is Ibanez discontinuing selling quality parts?

#14 Post by Jeries » Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:30 pm

dayday wrote:I know this thread is old from 2009 but I found it by looking at the google for why the backstops were discontinued and figured I would answer... For about 380 bucks you can buy a brand new in box original Edge Trem from Ibanez on their parts support page. I just ordered one should have it in about a week or so.

check the link
http://shop.ibanez.com/p/2ed1r31pc-edge ... osmo?pp=24" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

however what is missing from their parts pages is the backstop which leads me here :(

Im sure its been answered many times here and on JEMsite and I shall continue my search
in the end the few I saw on the Bay were in shite condition missing the rubber stoppers and the springs were worn out or the tension thumb wheels were gunked up to the point of unusability.
you could buy TWO guitars with that bridge for the price of that bridge alone.
and second... when it comes to parts- there's also a 50% chance the part doesn't exist and the order gets cancelled/never shows up

User avatar
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 2618
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:34 am
Contact:

Re: Why is Ibanez discontinuing selling quality parts?

#15 Post by Jeroen » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:11 am

You certainly can't buy two new guitars with an Edge for that price,
And where did you get this about non existing parts and this 50% canceled orders or not showing up?
Because that's pretty much bullshit.....

j


Jeries wrote: you could buy TWO guitars with that bridge for the price of that bridge alone.
and second... when it comes to parts- there's also a 50% chance the part doesn't exist and the order gets cancelled/never shows up

Post Reply