First Act Lola

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
Azrael

I never really thought of First Act guitars as a serious option for pro level players, but then I spied James of Underoath using a Les-Paul shaped guitar that had enough differences to make it interesting and was eye-catching. At first the headstock shape made me wonder whether it could be a Hagstrom, but then I did a little research and found out that it was a First Act Lola.

http://www.firstact.com/Products/Limite ... /Lola.aspx

The specs are pretty impressive. You can also create a custom version here.

http://www.firstact.com/upload/flash/gu ... ilder.html

When I did it using all of the high-end materials, it came out to abut $3,000. You could get a modern Les Paul of decent quality for about the same, but I have to say this guitar is pretty wild. It's gorgeous while walking a simpler aesthetic between the Les Paul and a more decorated theme than an SG.

I'm hoping to get involved in a metalcore-ish band (we have some taste, so no eye-rolling please) and if my RG4EX1 won't do for some of the brighter tones needed, I would love to get one of these.
teokiatuan

sorta looks like top half lp, bottom half SG..looks kinda okay i guess.
Petie

I reviewed a First Act Lola for a magazine and it was incredible. I sounds just like you'd imagine: part SG, part Les Paul. Extremely well built guitar, and it screamed pinch harmonics like crazy.
Azrael

Petie wrote:I reviewed a First Act Lola for a magazine and it was incredible. I sounds just like you'd imagine: part SG, part Les Paul. Extremely well built guitar, and it screamed pinch harmonics like crazy.
That's enough to tempt me. It also explained why Tim and James from Underoath have been using them. They've expanded from their Metalcore roots and added some Avant-Garde style noises (like feedback of harmonics) to their music in aesthetic ways and have been using e-bows to great effect.

It looks like a relatively versatile guitar with a decent look and some killer tone. The pickups sound like they're bright enough to deliver some nice harmonics and sweet sustain, but deep enough to offer a nice distorted tone.
nato101010

The name reminds me of a song, anyways, looks pretty!
Azrael

nato101010 wrote:The name reminds me of a song, anyways, looks pretty!
It does. Is the song perhaps Layla, by Eric Clapton?
lastmohican

Lola, The Kinks.

BTW Nice guitar

:wink:
Desert_Runner

Yay. My two least favourite guitars in one.

It does look pretty, though. But not as pretty as an actual Les Paul.