Laguna Electric Guitar

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
Logic

You know, I suggest you just go out and play every guitar you can get your hands on. To focus on brands isn't going to serve you as well as one might think. The only reason I landed on an Ibanez is desire to have a 24 fret HSH Floyd Rose equipped guitar. In fact I didn't even learn of our hero Mr. Vai until after I bought a white RG and a guy at the music shop said, Hey thats a Vai signature! I went HUH???!?! Cause I did not wanting a signature guitar at all! The only real sigature guitars I would think of getting are Les Pauls or a Jem 7V or floral. I learned on a Les Paul and the design of the Jem is second to none. Most funtional those JEMs.
glydian
Newcomer

I just bought one from the Guitar Center in Fountain Valley, Ca. I'm a GC employee and I figure for the price I might as well pick one up. I have a Vigier Bumblefoot model and I would pretty much say this is a direct copy of it including the headstock and neck contour. Its a little brighter than my Bumblefoot, but it still sounds great. Mine came with an original floyd not the licensed copy. I've just dropped a Tone Zone and a Chopper in it and it plays and sounds pretty damn good. Is it better than my Vigier, Jems, or E.S.P.'s.... Not the Vigier BBF, or half my old Jem's, but the new Jem's and the E.S.P.'s, Yes. It's a well built guitar for a decent price.
dwayneb
Newcomer

I played this bass a couple of days ago at GC, and I couldn't put it down.
great bass for the money, MM pickups r nicely spaced apart, lightweight, and very playable, I plan on get me one.
well balanced instrument! on a scale on 5-I give it a 4-
for the money it blows alot of top-end bass out!
compared to a $3,000 bass.
hastx
Newcomer

They are good machines. They play well but are also feature packed for the money. There was another thread about this here http://www.vai.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php ... ght=laguna There are some informative videos on youtube also.
Lucky

I've ordered an LE 524 which is the model with the floyd/ HH combination. It's supposed to come in tomorrow and if you all like I can post a review.
fretboardmagic

I suppose my guitar center simply doesn't take as much time to make sure their guitars are in working order, because all the Lagunas I've played have been just a step above a Squire Strat of the Hello Kitty variety. I know that if I took one home and set it up properly, it'd be a damn-fine guitar to play, so I guess my point is, don't judge a Laguna by how it feels in the store.
Lucky

Well I got the LE524 last night. First impressions are it's a well-built instrument with a decent tone and the playability is good. It's also quite comfortable to play. Some niggles...the pickups are a tad hot for my taste and the high end can be a bit much, although it's easily rectified by turning down the treble on the amp a little bit. I have some spare DiMarzios so later I'll prolly install my Tone Zone and something else to go along with it in the neck position. I do like the coil tap option and it's surprisingly quiet when engaged.

The bridge is the typical licensed floyd copy and it has a stiff feel...no biggie as I have a spare OFR in black. 8) The fretwork is a little rough on the edges in the upper register and the body has a little run/glob where they apparently sprayed a bit too much laquer in one spot.

That's all I can think of at the moment but all in all it seeme like a good platform for modding. As it stands, stock, it's a decent guitar that can be made a lot better. I'll put up some pics later.
teokiatuan

mas wrote:

I hear you. I would love to try it out when it's available myself. I know if Greg puts his stamp of approval on it then it's going to be pretty sweet. Signature models are going to be more expensive because the Pros only want the best of the best. Take a look at Steve Vai's signature Ibanez model (JEM77V). That baby is going for over $2000.00 GC price and it plays and sounds incredible.

well yeah its what the pros use, but alot of times we are paying more for the artiste's name on it then anything else, don't you agree? :mrgreen: