what pickups to use Evo or Breed

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
jiimyjam1
Newcomer

For neck and middle and bridge,Evo or Breed. I just bought a RG and want to upgrade the pickup. Input please!!!
I love the sound that steve vai gets but I can't play like him maybe someday. :shock:
Last edited by jiimyjam1 on Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Petie

Depends on what you wanna sound like. They're both powerful pickups. The Evo is especially good for bands with only one guitarist, because they tend to dominate the sound, and if you use one in a 2-guitar band you can overpower the other guitarist.

To my ears, the best examples of the Evo bridge tone are "Bad Horsie" and "Love Blood." For the neck pickup, think of "K'm-Pee-Du-Wee."

The Breed sounds warmer and thicker, and it sits more comfortably in a mix, whereas the Evo is great if you really need to stand out.

One thing about the Evo, you'd better be confident about your playing, because they emphasize everything you do, and it can be kind of intimidating at first, hearing every little note and phrasing choice so clearly.
llamahead

but the EVOs are rude if you got the chops!! :twisted:

i have a breed in the neck position and an EVO in the bridge position

the breed is nice and smooth with some edge

the EVO is rude and punchy

i like the sound
Splish

It depends what sound your after. Ideally, you could do with trying the JEM 7V and then the reissued VBK. The 7V has EVO's in, whilst the VBK has Breeds. Personally, I much prefer the Evo's over the Breeds. When I was playing the VBK, I was unimpressed by it's p/ups, and prefer the bight you get from Evo's.

But as far as I'm concerned, it's a very personal choice, and asking for advice for it should only be taken as guidance :)
j.arledge

the evolution and evo 2 both have shrill highs and tight bass in my experience. If you have muddy or bass heavy amp, or are willing to use 250 k pots the evo is ok, it is unforgiving as far as misakes, so if your not extermly confident in what you play or are looking to hear yourself better and improve your skills the evo isn't so bad.

i dont like the evolution pickups, although i play lead i like a thick full sound that gets chunck in the rythem and can smooth out.

the breed bridge wasn't to my liking either. It didn't have enough power for my tastes, it was ok but it was too far from the evolution, it was too flubby.

Now pickups are just one peice of your total setup and some pickups are much better then others as far as working with your amp to get you the sound you want. Everything that you plug in makes a difference in your sound, so finding the right combination is hard long and probably going to be expensive. I know for me it has been, the best way to figure out what you like is simply trial and error.
pagliai

what kind of wood is your RG man?
matic22

What about Super Distortion or PAF Pro?
pagliai

about superdistortion,well everything is in the name,paf pro is a really good pickup.it is really nice at the neck or bridge,a really warm pickup with a natural grain and balls.
Really good also like single coil splittin,he can go with all of woods.
sonnny
Newcomer

Petie wrote:Depends on what you wanna sound like. They're both powerful pickups. The Evo is especially good for bands with only one guitarist, because they tend to dominate the sound, and if you use one in a 2-guitar band you can overpower the other guitarist.

To my ears, the best examples of the Evo bridge tone are "Bad Horsie" and "Love Blood." For the neck pickup, think of "K'm-Pee-Du-Wee."

The Breed sounds warmer and thicker, and it sits more comfortably in a mix, whereas the Evo is great if you really need to stand out.

One thing about the Evo, you'd better be confident about your playing, because they emphasize everything you do, and it can be kind of intimidating at first, hearing every little note and phrasing choice so clearly.
Bad horsie is recorded with breeds
Desert_Runner

I thought since it was recorded for Alien Love Secrets, it would have evos. Aren't breeds pretty new?