Does it matter to you who made your guitar......

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
boswell

.....and which country it was made in?

I've been following a thread on another forum were a retailer has been exposing where guitars are made and that companys other than the brand name actually own the factory.

Does it matter as long as you love the guitar?

Would it matter to you if you found out your guitar wasn't made by who you think made it?
notavirtuoso

It could, depending on what guitar. Information like that could potentially destroy the value of the guitar and possibly skew my opinion of the company. Depends which one and where though. If my Custom Shop Gibson was actually made in Korea, yeah, I'd be pissed. If my cheapie RG was built in Korea instead of China (or vice versa, can't remember where it was made) it would have no effect on my opinion at all.
boswell

notavirtuoso wrote:If my Custom Shop Gibson was actually made in Korea, yeah, I'd be pissed. If my cheapie RG was built in Korea instead of China (or vice versa, can't remember where it was made) it would have no effect on my opinion at all.
Why would it be a problem if the Custom Shop was made in a Korean "Custom Shop"?
Azrael

boswell wrote:
notavirtuoso wrote:If my Custom Shop Gibson was actually made in Korea, yeah, I'd be pissed. If my cheapie RG was built in Korea instead of China (or vice versa, can't remember where it was made) it would have no effect on my opinion at all.
Why would it be a problem if the Custom Shop was made in a Korean "Custom Shop"?
It would bug me. I'm a Jackson fanboy who is an Ibanez admirer since that's currently my best guitar. When I buy a Jackson America custom shop, I'm clearly expecting it to be custom made by American luthiers with quality control. I try not to support outsourcing too much.
boswell

Azrael wrote:It would bug me. I'm a Jackson fanboy who is an Ibanez admirer since that's currently my best guitar. When I buy a Jackson America custom shop, I'm clearly expecting it to be custom made by American luthiers with quality control. I try not to support outsourcing too much.
Even if the Korean quality control is better than the American?
GYiakoumi

I used to think like this but I soon changed my view on this:

Let your ears do the judging and not your mind on the brands.
boswell

Ears and hands, if it plays well and sounds well alls well.

Quote from Steve:

I remember I wanted to buy an old strat for this song because I thought I should own one. I had never really spent a lot on a guitar as I’m not really interested in collecting vintage instruments, so I saved up and had like $20 grand to lay down on an old Strat. I had every music store on Sunset Blvd. bring me their best Strats and I settled on a $500 Japanese made Strat because it sounded and played the best. That’s what was used on this track. Go figure.
Full story here http://www.vai.com/SightsSounds/video_vault/index.html under “The Boy From Seattle” 8)

I once played almost every guitar in a shop ignoring the Brand, Colour and Style predudices we tend to have fostered on us, it made for an interesting experiment.

The finish/quality on some high end US models was appalling compared to some "cheap" Far Eastern rivals.
Stephen Brown

Does it matter to you who made your guitar......

Yes....I'm a snob. Not just that. Sure if a low end guitar sound better then a huge priced one then...o.k.

That's few & far between though dude.

A squire for example over a J-cust....never. Two different worlds of guitar making.

That goes for all guitar makes. Their old factories & new one all have different methods.

USA strat<(A Trade Mark of it's own really which is a guarantee) & the others.....well.

Gibo's, Ibanez, Jackson, Dean's, Washburns...etc

The sum all all parts of where/when/whom comes into effect the more experience you gain as a player.

Year 2, one is not going to care to much where mr axe came from. Year 15 & it could have crossed your mind why your parting with a 1000 +.
:D

AAA
^
An Epiphone is not a Gibson.
j.arledge

not so much for me. I have brands I prefer but i play whatever i like. As a matter of fact i refuse to pay 1500 or over. There is no reason for me to. I could buy a couple of very very nice imports that have all the options i want.
notavirtuoso

boswell wrote:
Because it said it was made in the Nashville Custom Shop specifically. If I knew before I bought, I wouldn't necessarily walk away from it. Just truth in advertising is what would piss me off. The Korean and Chinese guitar manufacturers are putting out some damn fine product, don't get me wrong. I thought you were asking how I'd react if I bought something under the wrong impression.
Jeries

i will never buy another guitar made in Indonesia again
ClarkyNZ

boswell wrote:Ears and hands, if it plays well and sounds well alls well.

Quote from Steve:

I remember I wanted to buy an old strat for this song because I thought I should own one. I had never really spent a lot on a guitar as I’m not really interested in collecting vintage instruments, so I saved up and had like $20 grand to lay down on an old Strat. I had every music store on Sunset Blvd. bring me their best Strats and I settled on a $500 Japanese made Strat because it sounded and played the best. That’s what was used on this track. Go figure.
Full story here http://www.vai.com/SightsSounds/video_vault/index.html under “The Boy From Seattle” 8)

I once played almost every guitar in a shop ignoring the Brand, Colour and Style predudices we tend to have fostered on us, it made for an interesting experiment.

The finish/quality on some high end US models was appalling compared to some "cheap" Far Eastern rivals.
My two favourite guitars are my '97 JEM, and my '87 E-Series Japanese Squire that I got for $150. Man that guitar is so sweet. With a soft pick chords just drip like honey from her. :)
boswell

Heres some stuff from the who makes your guitar? crusader, a retailer in the UK who seems to be likening the guitar market to the DVD player market ie only a handfull of manufacturers make most the products which are rebranded.

PRS = World Musical Instruments Ltd

Ibanez = World Musical Instruments Ltd + Cort

Far Eastern Shecter = Cort

Fernandes = Tokai

Cort make: Ibanez, Parkwood, Schecter, G&L plus many other small brands

Big Bad Bill

Its all just branding I suppose and the assumption that a guitar made by a certain company will have the qualities you are looking for, consistently. I once moved away from the major brands in my desire to be different and tried a bespoke, handmade instrument from a British luthier and had my fingers severely burned so came running back to Ibanez, albeit the Custom shop (which could be Cort anyway!).

Branding doesn't really matter to me but I have to admit that exclusivity is alluring. The next guitar I have my eye on is a Brian Moore!
Stephen Brown

Well....Why doesn't the S have pups mounted in the body? :roll:
Image]
= sustain.