Scarf joint?

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
DEVIL82

dose that have a volute'd neck LMAO :D
Big Bad Bill

DEVIL82 wrote:i just think that the back of the neck flat with no volute just looks better.ill probably buy a new jem anyway...lifes to short not to :D
Don't spend vast amounts of money on something you don't like just because Steve designed it-that's just...just...shallow! I hate those bits of cheap plastic (scratch plates) people slap on front of a gorgeous guitar, often hiding a nice piece of timber and that alone was sufficient for me to not buy a Jem. I looked around and bought an Ibanez Japanese Custom which was more in keeping with my aesthetics. So have a good look around since there's bound to be a guitar out there without your hated volute that has everything else you like.
Stephen Brown

Desert_Runner wrote:Image
I think this looks a lot better. But I'd rather have a standard jem7vwh, because it's real. Looks can be deceiving.

Don't worry too much though. It's your guitar, not mine.
Nice colour scheme
Desert_Runner

Thanks. There's more where that came from here: http://vai.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14334
boswell

Chop off the headstock then no volute required! 8)

Last edited by boswell on Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Desert_Runner

My eyes just exploded!
calos

Desert_Runner wrote:My eyes just exploded!
Do you think it needs more "zap" ?

lol

;)

peace
cal
Big Bad Bill

Isn't it a beautiful guitar. I'd love a paint job like that.
DEVIL82

Ok i realy need to know...

Is the volute on the back of the headstock steve's idea or ibanez stepping in?
IMHO, it may play just the same as any other ibanez neck (dont quote me)... (i know everyone is different) but to me no volute looks so much better.

To me if Steve has said to put it on, he probably has his reasons, and i hope that he can sway ibanez to change back to no volute....
If ibanez have stepped in and just stuck it on...grrrrrrr shame on you.

To me and IMHO.... i think that ibanez should fetch back the 93 7vwh (fingers x'd)
nato101010

Hey DEVIL82, you are picky! Lol
teokiatuan

dude don't worry about the volute you'll barely notice it
dtrax
Newcomer

A volute is strickly for adding strength to the neck/headstock joint. It's standard practice for many companies that make angled headstocks. Warmoth, for example, uses both a scarf joint and a volute.

Who knows, and more importantly, who cares if Steve requested it or not. Personally, I had my old Ibanez EX (going back about 15 years) snap right at the locking nut - sure wished it had a volute!

IMO you shouldn't be so picky about a feature that's entirely useful, and desired by many experienced guitarists. It does not affect playability, so I fail to see your problem with it.
Big Bad Bill

I think he should be picky if he wishes to be, but he should also be more flexible in the guitars he tries out. If the guitar he generally likes has something he doesn't like, look elsewhere.

Steve designed his guitar for himself and thought that some other people might like his ideas and find the guitar suits them. But it won't suit everybody. Don't buy something for the sake of hero-worship as you are bound to be disappointed!