Scarf joint?

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
DEVIL82

I just want to know if anyone knows if a brand new Ibanez Jem7vwh comes with that horrible raised lip thing on the back of the neck near the head? (i think its called a scarf joint) or if theres a new 7vwh without it.
As you can probably tell i dont want to buy a new jem with that lip/thing/monstrosity on it....i hope you can buy one without.
If anyone knows ill be grateful.
DEVIL82

Sorry ive just found out that its not called a scarf joint....but, do the new Jem 7vwh's come with this raised bit on the back of the neck? (in the red box)

If anyone knows id be very grateful.
pagliai

Well ,i tell you the truth this terrible things like you say helps the sound of the neck a lot ............
llamahead

i find it very comfortable
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's called a 'volute' and all the new Jems have one. They add mass to the neck, and strength to the part where the nut is mounted. It doesn't interfere with playing, it's very much out of the way.
Big Bad Bill

You call that a volute? Pah! This is the volute on my Ibanez RG5 J Custom:

In this case it isn't a joint-the neck and headstock are carves from a single piece of timber-but it does add mass and makes this thin area, which is liable to snapping is the guitar topples over, much stronger. Its a technique derived from lute making apparently and it sits really comfortably against the web of the thumb and first finger.
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

It's exactly the same as the new jems, with the same dimensions, the only difference is that the locking nut is mounted on top on your rg, while the nuts on the Jems still are mounted from the back.
The newer jem necks don't have a joint anymore either.
sunai

weird, but i love this part of the neck, it looks so curvY!!!!!! :D :D
DEVIL82

i dont like it, i think it spoils the look of the neck...dose Steve use one?
ill be looking for an older model without one on :cry: shame i realy wanted a new one.
calos

That "lump" as you call it is on every jem neck including my 88' FP and completely doesn't get in the way, to the point I didn't know what you ment till I saw the pick, it just feels like the neck curve continuing as normal it doesn't feel like it't there at all when you playing.

Trust me on this I've had one for 15 years.

peace
cal
Stephen Brown

It's there for tech reasons. + It's great.

People were complaining about that section of the neck so something was done about it.

The Petrucci forum had a long thread about it. People saying warp this & warp that. I'm not sure how they come to that conclusion as my axe hasn't given me any grief in that area, at all. Still....
DEVIL82

well...they do say dont knock it till you try it dont they, ive always had a strait neck so to speak with no volute. ive seen Steves guitars dont have one, then i saw the new one with the volute and i thought hmm not for me...ill find an old one without it.
Desert_Runner

I've played a guitar with a volute. I can honestly say it makes no difference to the feel of the neck, people here are saying it helps the sound too. Don't go through the hassle of finding a jem without one just because you're superstitious. I promise you won't notice the volute when you play. How often do you play with your hand behind the headstock anyway?
DEVIL82

yeah but...
i just think that the back of the neck flat with no volute just looks better.
ill probably buy a new jem anyway...lifes to short not to :D
Desert_Runner

I think this looks a lot better. But I'd rather have a standard jem7vwh, because it's real. Looks can be deceiving.

Don't worry too much though. It's your guitar, not mine.