Musician's Friend and Guitar Center vs. the #1 350dxguy

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
Ultraviolet

I play the rg350dx currently
i feel Steve in the brain when I play, When I see him play I feel him,
when I don't see him I don't feel him
I always feel Randy and Madonna
Love you Steve :guitar :headbang :peace
Last edited by Ultraviolet on Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brentm

I'm not sure I follow you on this one.

The price for the guitar on Musician's Friend's website is 399.99.

Anytime I've shopped Guitar Center and found the prices higher than their website or a competitor, they've always matched it. That's business. If they're selling for higher than the others (and other instrument retailers are selling it for 399 also), then the product won't move off the shelf.

The market is designed to be self correcting, I wouldn't put too much energy into a mismarked guitar.
Matheau

Ultraviolet wrote:I have given M.F. an ultimatum of an additional 24hrs from today before I go to Hoshino with this problem and I'm sure they don't want to be selling Ibanez to companies that are overcharging people and ruining the reputation if Hoshino.
Hoshino wouldn't do anything about it. They would still be charging less than their MSRP. Probably just mis-marked, it happens.

These places get two prices, the MSRP (which no one charges, even Carvin who sells directly their own products doesn't charge their own MSRP) and the lowest price they are allowed to advertise. Virtually everything on Musician's Friend and Guitar Center are going to be the second price because they price match (that is why it specifically says "advertised price," if someone advertises lower, that company is usually breaching their contract and they can call it in and get their price raised back to the lowest allowed advertised price, or they usually face pretty nasty penalties).

It is actually worse for Hoshino for people to undercharge than to overcharge, actually, because then people think that price is the real one and want to pay less.
Ultraviolet

yeah dude
Last edited by Ultraviolet on Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ultraviolet

problem solved I'm a lunatic,

I'm the mind of the Devil in an Angel's temple
with Randy's heart.
Last edited by Ultraviolet on Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:07 am, edited 4 times in total.
notavirtuoso

They can sell it for whatever they want and whatever they think people will pay. They aren't bound, legally or otherwise to sell it as cheap as everyone else does if they don't want to. Maybe I'm misreading you but it seems to me that you're reacting as if they were charging $106 over Ibanez's suggested retail instead of "the going price everyone else is charging". If someone bought one at the inflated price they should have shopped around first.
brentm

Ultraviolet wrote:for the last 5 days,..my friends and I have been monitoring for a change like every hour,....and it was still 505,....I asked them to read back to me on THEIR screens how much it was,..they said 505,......I called Guitar Center in Attleboro Boston,..and they said 505 on their wall

This morning at 8:30 when I logged in,..and had my friends log in as well,...the problem had not yet been corrected yet.
Today at 8:45 am eastern standard time,... I gave the ultimatum,.....2 :15pm here eastern standard,.. and now it's fixed.
What a coincidence.......yeah sure
how don't you follow?

IT worked. that still doesn't get them off the hook for the ? number of people who purchased it for the 505 now does it?
Well, I don't follow because I never saw that price. It was probably a mistake on the keyboard somewhere at corporate or a strategic reason (low stock?) behind the price difference....

I'm sure Hoshino and Chesbro check these super retailers prices on a regular basis. And as the previous poster said, 505 is still lower than the MSRP so they're well within their right to sell the guitar for any price between the ceiling and the floor prices.

The bottom line is the market won't bear this guitar at 505. I'm sure a few kids came in with their parents and bought one at that price. But in the end, if the buyer and seller is happy, there shouldn't be a problem. And if you can buy it for 399 down the street, why would someone buy it for 505? If that happened, they could take the guitar back and get a price adjustment/refund for the difference.

Anyway, I'm not trying to dampen your feeling of accomplishment here... just giving you my perspective. It's always good to fight for a cause. I used to comb eBay and try to get all the counterfeit Ibanez auctions pulled.
brentm

Ultraviolet wrote:first of all
I don't know how you can say t's fixed, go to Musician's Friend right now. Guitars,
Solid body
Ibanez
Page 3
rg350dx =504.99

Call Guitar Center and ask how much an Ibanezrg350dx is,..and don't say anything about the problem
see what they reply to you
still think it's just mismarked?
Still think it's fixed?
and to think I took someone's word before I checked it out personally
I see it now. It's 399 at ZZSounds and SameDayMusic. I think they got the list price and the 25 percent discount mixed up. The list price on ZZSounds is 533.32 with the 25 percent discount for the street price of 399.95. The list price and the discount amount is wrong on MF's..
Jeries

it could be a mistake...it could be supply and demand...it could be popularity...shit happens... i've noticed the price change too

guitar center and musiciansfriend arent the same company any more..
in fact within the last 4 yrs or so guitar center isnt even the same company anymore

it has been purchased by investors who didnt like how it was ran before..which sucks for us musicians.

i have bought 3 rg350s... from guitar center... i paid with dax $315 for all of them, i think one i paid $280 for.

You can negotiate at guitar center just like a car dealership... i'd suggest you get to know on a personal level the employees and only deal with one particular person in each department- ususally a sales manager that still just gets paid on commission...they're the best to deal with...
Svelt Pen

Why do you care so much? Do you want to buy it? Buy the cheaper one....Does all this wasted effort really matter that much? Move on with your life...
Ultraviolet

you people are unbelievable
Last edited by Ultraviolet on Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ultraviolet

fuk you :twisted:
except Steve, he is neutrally as anyone wishes to perceive him ;)
my balrog is entertained by watching him entertain the Mind of the temple my heart is in.
Last edited by Ultraviolet on Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:11 am, edited 3 times in total.
brentm

Ultraviolet wrote:Frank Zappa wouldn't stand for this kind of trash, as a musician, as an artist, as a human being. conspiracy's, dirt under the rug, don't ask and you won't be told, just gimme all your money.
nonsense

this is an Ultra World,
and I am just trying to keep it that way
Steve will agree, that it's good to be Ultra Real, and by looking out for the wallets of every musician who get's 9 an hour, and has to work an extra month to be able to cover the overpricing alone, i am being so Ultra Real :)
They likely increased their price because of stock shortage. The black Ibanez 350 is 399. That price is probably a nice way to say "Hey, go somewhere else". Economic models have shown that people will buy the lowest priced items first.

Besides, demanding that they change their prices goes against the grain of a free market society. In a free market society, there should be no price fixing and the market sets the price.

Don't get so worked up over this. I'm more concerned about the rising cost of gasoline and groceries to care about how much GC is charging for an Ibanez guitar.
Last edited by brentm on Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ultraviolet

what people
life don't matter to opinionated coniving
fuks
Last edited by Ultraviolet on Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brentm

Ultraviolet wrote:obviously you don't care

I do that's the difference between you and i
I am not worked up, I am proud of the fact that I have spent the last week losing sleep, being hungry, and looking out for every other musician on the planet. It matters because it should matter to me. Society needs people like me
politicians need people like you
that is the difference. Gas is up,
because of hollow oblivious people like you who are ok with being pushed around.
You need to chill brother. If I was in the market for that guitar, I would not blindly purchase it at that price... and I suspect about 99 percent of the rest of the world would do the same (shop around for the best price).

And gas is not up because of the reasons you stated.
Last edited by brentm on Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.