Evo2 vs Breed

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
lydian7

I'm looking to swap my Steve's Special out of the bridge of my Ibanez Prestige S and exchange it for either a Breed or an Evo2. In the past I've tried an Evo for this guitar but I found it too trebly, though I did like some aspects of the tone. I tried a Fred too which was lacking in bass, and the Steve's Special was too thin sounding. I will be playing through a Mesa Boogie Mark IV combo btw.

Has anyone A/b's the Evo2/Evo/Breed pups? and what songs from Real Illusions does Steve record with the Evo2?
HughesJB4
Newcomer

I do know the EVO is the brightest of the 3, while the EVO 2 has slightly reduced output and is a little less bright and I believe a little more mids too and many say this is what the EVO should have sounded like in the first place
The Breed I don't really know a lot about.
As for what he used on Real Illusions, even though the EVO 2 is the newer pickup, many people still believe he still actually uses the EVO a lot more.
For Building The Church and Dying for Your Love, he used the Breed. For the rest of the 6 string songs, would just be either the EVO or EVO 2.
For Under It All, which uses a 7 string, my guess is the Blaze 7 string pickups.
pagliai

i think you need the breed
lydian7

HughesJB4 wrote: As for what he used on Real Illusions, even though the EVO 2 is the newer pickup, many people still believe he still actually uses the EVO a lot more.
Yes, I'm aware of that, which is why I'm a little apprehensive about purchasing the Evo2. Does anyone actually use it? I would be handy to hear some examples.
pagliai wrote: The Breed was actually my first choice before I foolish went with the Steve's Special. I asked Steve blucher at Dimarzio which I should go for and he said the Breed and Tone Zone would be too bassy, which surprised me (especially about the Breed). He recommended the D Sonic, Evo2 or the Mo Joe.

I'm kind of fluctuating between the The Breed and the Evo2 at the moment.
lydian7

pagliai wrote:i think you need the breed
Just to let you know, I went for the Breed in the end since a lot of people have been recommending them to me. I also believe Greg Howe used them at one point so they can't be that bad, can they.

I'll let you know how it sounds through the Mark IV when I get it.
pagliai

I can understand completely the reasons 'cause of Steve at Di Marzio told you to go for those pickups.

He is right the tone zone is so boomy also if it is a really good pickup in construction,i told you breed 'cause it is alnico and it is so warm and it is cut on the high ,sound like ....just like a evo with more warm and punch on basses and cut on the high.

The evo 2 (i love it) sound like a paf pro with more gain and more punch on the mid but i feel it wide on high so if the high frequencies are your problems ,well evo 2 maybe it is not a good choise in my opinion.

You can buy both of them and record 2 tracks 1 with breed and 1 with evo2 and choose what you like then you can put the other pickup on another guitar or sell it.

My Advice is :
Give a try to,you can't imagine how much money i spent in pickups following advices of people,at the end a pickup is just like a girl .... and the best way to save money .....is.....spent them and give a try to something following your personal taste and ear.

For example (now you 'll think i am mad),i weigh the guitar ,if it is light i wanna put a thicker paint and a heavy pickup on it ,this is a thing Jim Donahue did teach me,and it is correct.
If you need a warmer tone maybe you wanna go with alnico pickups,if you wanna go with more metal you can go with great output pickups,if you wanna go with a tone more tight 'cause your amp plays huge like a ship maybe you can go with ceramic things......but don't forget a pickup is like a girl so you can like a girl more lydian ;) i can like a girl more dorian :D

Well this thing sound like so so lydian anyway ......

Let me know i am curious
lydian7

Well, I installed the Breed pup in the bridge of my Ibanez after taking it for a service, and I have to say that after giving her a thorough test drive I am thoroughly impressed! The Breed pup absolutely makes my Mark IV come alive; the harmonics spray off my guitar like a fountain of sparks! The rhythm tone is far superior to the Steve Special I replaced it with, and the lead tone is sumptuous and pliable. I really expected a lot of bass from the breed, but I think the balance is actually just right. The harmonics and overtones I'm getting when wailing with this pup is far and beyond my expectations, and I feel it has even more impressive overtones than the Evo.

One thing I noticed though, the pickup is slightly microphonic. The tone is so perfect for me though I'm wondering whether to just leave it and cope with the slightly noisy body sounds. This really is my holy grail of tones. If I'd have gone with the breed in my 2027 in the beginning then I would have saved heaps of money on imported pickups.
pagliai

tadà
Ultraviolet

no clue,
get what you like because you like it,..if that happens to be the one's from the REAL ILLUSIONS...and you are trying to emmulate HIS sound kiddo,...

.then you need to get EVERYTHING he IS PLAYING THROUGH,...including the CARVIN LEGACY STACK, or MIC the combo,....otherwise you won't have NEAR the same dynamics for a comarison basis to even start with.

also your prestige is a SWEET guitar,....but will sound no where near Flo or Evo,.because the prestige isn't a hollow cavity guitar first of all,..your pickups are mounted to WOOD not a plastic pickguard.....you NEED THE JEM as well, for the unique dynamics that it poseses to get STEVE's SOUND.

Close but no cigar kid......you need his stuff to get his sound,....and I'm sorry but that's just how it is with ALL music. That's why there are differences in every artists sound. THEIR EQUIPMENT, and their STLYLE
otherwise you are gonna be CLOSE at best dude.

Good luck to you either way,..and I too are trying to get his sound,...Money lacks though. You want his sound?,...you need to get the SAME EQUIPMENT,...guitar(Jem), pickups(Dimarzio Evo's), strings(Ernie Super slinkys), cables(Whirlwind?), rack modulation(?), and Heads(Carvin Legacy), and Cabinets(Legacy), and then use a similar Mic as well.

Peace and Love
Ultraviolet

Best of luck in your pursuit :)
TheOtnip

Ultraviolet wrote:no clue,
get what you like because you like it,..if that happens to be the one's from the REAL ILLUSIONS...and you are trying to emmulate HIS sound kiddo,...

.then you need to get EVERYTHING he IS PLAYING THROUGH,...including the CARVIN LEGACY STACK, or MIC the combo,....otherwise you won't have NEAR the same dynamics for a comarison basis to even start with.

also your prestige is a SWEET guitar,....but will sound no where near Flo or Evo,.because the prestige isn't a hollow cavity guitar first of all,..your pickups are mounted to WOOD not a plastic pickguard.....you NEED THE JEM as well, for the unique dynamics that it poseses to get STEVE's SOUND.

Close but no cigar kid......you need his stuff to get his sound,....and I'm sorry but that's just how it is with ALL music. That's why there are differences in every artists sound. THEIR EQUIPMENT, and their STLYLE

Good luck to you either way,..and I too are trying to get his sound,...Money lacks though. You want his sound?,...you need to get the SAME EQUIPMENT,...guitar(Jem), pickups(Dimarzio Evo's), strings(Ernie Super slinkys), cables(Whirlwind?), rack modulation(?), and Heads(Carvin Legacy), and Cabinets(Legacy), and then use a similar Mic as well.

Peace and Love
Ultraviolet

Best of luck in your pursuit :)
It's mostly to do with the fact that your brain and fingers function differently than Steve's, so you can't achieve his sound completely, ever.

Tone is in the fingers and head too, ya know :wink:
Ultraviolet

indeed brother,...well said, He's magic

but you and i both know,..if we had his strings, his axe, his cables,..and his CARVIN rig,...
even if we pluck ONE random note,....we would jizz lol

because that would be like when I put my autograpged dime333 through Darrel's OWN Randall head that he gave to my friend Denny, (who wrote the end riff to I'm Broken b.t.w).... it was REALLY the FAR BEYOND SOUND MAN!!!
still the coolest moment of my life, that, and the time i got to try that guitar through 2 Marshall full stacks at once,...turned up so hard from the 280rms RACK MOSS VALVE AMP, that when my back was to the rig,... in drop D, it felt like my clothes were gonna rip off from the back to the front!!!

but yes, definately the Magic in the Artist all the way,..
but IDENTICAL TONE HELPS ;)
lydian7

Ultraviolet wrote:no clue,

Firstly, I'm not a kid, I'm 29 years old. Secondly I don't want Steve's tone, nor have I ever wished to pursue it. I play through a Mesa/Boogie Mark IV which I feel offers me a lot more tonal diversity than the Legacy, and I use sm57s to mic up.

The Breed worked great in my Prestige by the way, and thanks for the all the input guys. It has a very warm and harmonically complex tone and is a very nice balance for the S body of my Prestige.
Stephen Brown

By chance.......
Anyone have a bridge breed in a normal scale & 25th scale? Tonal differences?