Edge Zero Tremolo

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
TheOtnip

Hey, I was thinking about buying an Ibanez RG2550Z with the new Edge Zero and Zero Point System. I have no idea what this tremolo is like and I'm wondering if anyone does and could give me insight on how it works, if its flexible, how well the guitar stays in tune with it, etc. Thanks
Desert_Runner

I think it's just an upgrade on the edge III trem which means you don't have to cut the balls off new strings when you string them. If you're not familiar with the edge III, it's a floyd rose style bridge with a fat whammy bar. The locking nut means the guitar hardly ever goes out of tune, meaning you can wreak havoc with whammy acrobatics. But if it does, there are fine tuners on the bridge for small adjustments.

It takes a bit of getting used to, as the bridge is very sensitive to string tension, for example if you bend a note, this will cause all the other strings to slacken. It can be confusing when tuning as changing one string actually makes effects on every string because of the way the bridge is anchored. It's worth it though for the rare quality of staying in tune after going whammying like crazy. :headbang

I think the edge zero is an upgrade of that, however I might be wrong.
llamahead

and with the new spring system the problems previously stated are gone, for the most part

also i heard you can stop the bridge if you want
Desert_Runner

Very nice guitar btw, congrats if you get it.
GuitarBizarre

oh christ....

Misinformation abounds.

The 'Zero' part of that trem's name is there because of one very simple modification made to the design of the Edge tremolo it is replacing:

They have put in the same extra 2 springs that are present on the ZR trem, and they have changed the saddles so that intonation is adjusted differently.

Full details of the changes can be found here:

http://www.ibanezrules.com/namm/2008/hardware.htm

Edit: And this trem system has absolutely nothing to do with the Edge III. The Edge III is a low end version of the edge tremolo made from inferior materials and used on budget model guitars. its not as reliable and has flaws that are negated on the Edge Pro and Edge Zero.
Logic

The Zero Trem I played wasn't nearly as active as a normal Floyd Rose type bridge. You really need to play one before you decide.
TheOtnip

Logic wrote:The Zero Trem I played wasn't nearly as active as a normal Floyd Rose type bridge. You really need to play one before you decide.
Active, you say? I'm just looking for a reliable floating trem that will keep my guitar in tune. I wish I could but my local stores suck and none of them carry any high end Ibanezes...

Could you elaborate on the active part, however? The more information I know the smarter purchase I can make...
Logic

Mr. TheOtnip,
Indeed I can. When you divebomb a Floyd Rose it goes to the basement. The zero didn't. If you put the whammy bar all the way to the wood with a Floyd Rose the strings would be flopping around. The Zero to the wood it wouldn't , no pun intended, product as low a note. How can I say this? Move the Floyd Rose bar a little and get a lot. Move the Zero bar a lot and get a little.
By the way, I have a Lo Trs, which many will argue is junk. I have had it since 2002 and have abused it accordingly and it is still perfect. Never goes out of tune and behaves as well as any trem I have used. I must qualify however that I am something of a techno geek and know how to fix-make things work. So, in all fairness I did have to work the bridge over to get the desired results. It can Be done!! By the way again, I do have an original Edge with all the bells and whistles for when the Lo Trs does fail. If it fails.. I hoped this helped.

P.S. Play before you buy. you may like the Zero. Thats all that really matters.