The new JS20th

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
boswell

#16 Post by boswell » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:42 am

It's the sort of guitar nastiness thats made to hang on the wall of collectors and the Hard Rock Cafe!

al

#17 Post by al » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:49 pm

its nice man but dont think about ot to much its js20th, its just there to be admired not played amazingly ya know

its awsome but dont diss it

Guitarmiester

#18 Post by Guitarmiester » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:39 pm

I was disappointed when I first saw the JS20th. It's nice and all, just not what I was expecting for his 20th Ann. guitar.

Shade

#19 Post by Shade » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:53 pm

It looks like something you'd find in one of those toy starter packs at walmart...

:?

TongueNGroove

#20 Post by TongueNGroove » Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:54 am

Whats up with Joe and 22 frets? 24 frets is pretty standard and I wouldn't own a guitar that only had 22 frets.

Also, what's up with him only using plain old round fret markers? I hate plain fret markers!

Pretty plain jane for a 20th. Nice paint job though and I assume the silver guy is inlayed and not just paint...that's how it looks anyway.

Svelt Pen

#21 Post by Svelt Pen » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:14 am

TongueNGroove wrote:Whats up with Joe and 22 frets? 24 frets is pretty standard and I wouldn't own a guitar that only had 22 frets.

Also, what's up with him only using plain old round fret markers? I hate plain fret markers!

Pretty plain jane for a 20th. Nice paint job though and I assume the silver guy is inlayed and not just paint...that's how it looks anyway.
Lots of players have 22 fret guitars...usually because they prefer the tone and playability differences. I would disagree that 24 fret guitars are "the standard". Just because YOU wouldn't own a guitar with 22 frets, and YOU hate plain fret markers, doesn't make YOU right, and it certainly doesn't mean everyone should follow what YOU like...Who died and made you the Guitar King? It's all subjective...You have no reason to judge anyone for their personal preference.

TongueNGroove

#22 Post by TongueNGroove » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:25 am

There's no real tone difference between a 22 or 24 fret guitar, but there is a huge playability difference, I will agree there. You see with 22 frets you are much more limited in your playing and creativity. While people like Satch and Yngwie and Nuno are very creative, imagine what they could do with 2 more frets! haha.

And you can't tell me that you or anyone really likes plain old round fret markers in the standard 1 dot then 2 on the 12th look. On an old strat or something fine, that's great, nice vintage look. But on something modern it just looks played out and boring. Well, maybe you do like it, I dunno, but I just can't see how it would excite you...

BTW, I am right, I wouldn't own a guitar with 22 frets and I hate plain fret markers...how could I not be right about that?

Svelt Pen

#23 Post by Svelt Pen » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:33 pm

TongueNGroove wrote:There's no real tone difference between a 22 or 24 fret guitar, but there is a huge playability difference, I will agree there. You see with 22 frets you are much more limited in your playing and creativity. While people like Satch and Yngwie and Nuno are very creative, imagine what they could do with 2 more frets! haha.

And you can't tell me that you or anyone really likes plain old round fret markers in the standard 1 dot then 2 on the 12th look. On an old strat or something fine, that's great, nice vintage look. But on something modern it just looks played out and boring. Well, maybe you do like it, I dunno, but I just can't see how it would excite you...

BTW, I am right, I wouldn't own a guitar with 22 frets and I hate plain fret markers...how could I not be right about that?
I can and will tell you that I really don't mind the fret markers...I could really care less what they look like...I really don't get excited about tiny details...I mean, if you want to get anal and complain about it, then that's your choice, but I prefer to play my guitar rather than look at it. To say you are limited in your creativity with 22 frets is ignorant at best...Hasn't hindered the creativity of Satch, Yngwie, Nuno or the thousands and thousands of guitar players who play 22 fretters in any way..If it did, then why are they still playing 22 fret guitars? I really don't think they need your guidance. I take it you only listen to players who play 24 fret guitars, because they are somehow more 'creatively empowered'. There is a difference in tone and playability, so I think that's more important in the guitar acquisition process, rather than worrying about a couple of notes you might touch on every once and a while on the high E and B strings. :roll:

GuitarBizarre

#24 Post by GuitarBizarre » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:21 pm

TongueNGroove wrote:There's no real tone difference between a 22 or 24 fret guitar, but there is a huge playability difference, I will agree there. You see with 22 frets you are much more limited in your playing and creativity. While people like Satch and Yngwie and Nuno are very creative, imagine what they could do with 2 more frets! haha.

1 - Uh...yes there is. When you add frets you push the neck pickup closer to the bridge, which makes it harsher and less smooth.

2 - I know exactly 2 songs or riffs where the 24th fret would be useful. The rest of the time 22 is plenty enough. Not all of us think 'the higher a solo is played the better'. Having owned 21, 22, and 24 fret guitars, I have never really cared about the different numbers of frets, since if you can't be creative with 22, how can you be creative with 24?

3 - I guess my S2170 with no inlays whatsoever except 3 dots on the 12th fret is boring to you? I guess you'd rather slide your fingers over plastic feeling inlay material, and sacrifice the feel of wood under your fingers?

Both are extreme cases, but lets be honest, no-one in the audience cares about your fret markers that much, and if you're busy looking at them yourself, how the hell are you gonna play a good show?

4 - There are far more important things to worry about that having a super high E and som plastic in the neck. In the words of zappa, shut up and PLAY yer guitar.

mayuka

#25 Post by mayuka » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:41 pm

I think its cool, but ive never cared for the JS series

Guitaruss

#26 Post by Guitaruss » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:26 am

I think it looks cheap and tacky...bloody awful infact :cry: