curved frets

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
eledance

curved frets

#1 Post by eledance » Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:28 pm

Hi, just saw the video with Steve about these curved frets, ok if Steve says so, it stays in tune!!
But what about "bending a note" :?
If the fret is moving closer to or further from the bridge, doesn't that change the length of vibrating string, thereby raising or lowering the pitch?

I'm confused :cry:

Rob.
Last edited by eledance on Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

al

#2 Post by al » Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:05 pm

Who cares lets get drunk and bend all the ntoes in the world WOOHOO"

calos

#3 Post by calos » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:10 pm

brother al wrote:Who cares lets get drunk and bend all the ntoes in the world WOOHOO"
I'm with Al !

he he

peace
cal

Shade

Re: curved frets

#4 Post by Shade » Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:21 pm

eledance wrote:Hi, just saw the video with Steve about these curved frets, ok if Steve says so, it stays in tune!!
But what about "bending a note" :?
If the fret is moving closer to or further from the bridge, doesn't that change the length of vibrating string, thereby raising or lowering the pitch?

I'm confused :cry:
Yes, changing the length of a string is what raises and lowers the pitch.

You know when you fret a note, you're supposed to press directly behind the fret to get the cleanest/most accurate tone? Well, now play the same note but press down directly in the center between the frets. You'll have to press harder but you can get the note to ring out. However, it'll be slightly sharp. Keyword on slightly.

Basically the bent frets, or "true temperament system", on Steve's new guitars have the frets adjusted forward or back for each note that you can play so that it is perfectly in tune when you press directly behind the fret.

It won't noticeably change the individual notes, but it will slightly raise or lower the pitch, but it's only to make it more true to what that note is actually supposed to be. Hope this helps.

joshua202020

#5 Post by joshua202020 » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:00 am

And Steve says it also increases sustain because of the perfect resonation of each note with each other.

Devon8822
Newcomer

#6 Post by Devon8822 » Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:44 am

What I am wondering is, that when you bend a note... noramally you would bend it along a non-curved surface. Hear, you would bend it and you would reach a point wher ethe fret is curved for the string above it, therfore taking the bend wayyy out of tune. So the aspect of bending with this neck makes no sense to me...

calos

#7 Post by calos » Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:38 am

Devon8822 wrote:What I am wondering is, that when you bend a note... noramally you would bend it along a non-curved surface. Hear, you would bend it and you would reach a point wher ethe fret is curved for the string above it, therfore taking the bend wayyy out of tune. So the aspect of bending with this neck makes no sense to me...
Well that depends if you bend by ear or by "feel" but I do understand what you mean a sudden shift in pitch when your not expecting it, could be interesting, but if you look at this link:
http://www.truetemperament.com/images/m ... _1_mna.wmv

This is the temperment Steve has chosen and you can see it doesn't seem to affect bending at all, the frets are not that far from straight, a regular bend is usually a whole tone wich is a lot lot more laterak distance than the frets are bent by.

peace
cal

Breeder

#8 Post by Breeder » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:55 pm

While bending you raise the tension of string so that`s the reason why pitch goes up -my guess is that these frets do not take much time to get used to them

epi-phoney

#9 Post by epi-phoney » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:02 pm

joshua202020 wrote:And Steve says it also increases sustain because of the perfect resonation of each note with each other.
That doesn't make sense to me. Maybe 2 notes are more in phase with each other, and the overall volume would be louder. He only plays one note in the young guitar video anyway. I think there's some other reason for the better sustain.

Stephen Brown

#10 Post by Stephen Brown » Sun Aug 31, 2008 9:28 pm

epi-phoney wrote: I think there's some other reason for the better sustain.
The system makes the circle 5th's equal by making it come back into line. Really helps with voices of chords. Not just in 1st & 2nd postion but all over the neck. In that, the voicings are improved & an outward working of it is increased sustain. Fact not fiction. A kind of note harmonic alignment/ reinforcement, takes place.

The notes that Steve played were just an example of two note voicing & giving us a chance to hear....Pick.....riiiiiiing....

Great stuff.
^
If the system had one of these on it & you compared the result from guitar that didn't have the fret system, you would have two different results. A visual aspect of comparison.

Everyone's in tune but to be able to do it, you have to compromise.

Steve doesn't.

Do you need the system to play guitar?
No but you do make a scientific compromise. Nothing to worry about. Everyone's done it since the dawn of time.

Should guitars be built like this now as a standard?
Yes. We live in hope.

epi-phoney

#11 Post by epi-phoney » Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:37 pm

The circle of 5ths is actually the compromise. If a 5th were perfectly in tune, there wouldn't be a circle. But a 5th is pretty close. It's the 3rds & 6ths that are the problem. We actually agree on this stuff. But I think sustain is a different issue.

Stephen Brown

#12 Post by Stephen Brown » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:27 am

epi-phoney wrote: But I think sustain is a different issue.
What do you think it is?

epi-phoney

#13 Post by epi-phoney » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:32 am

Heavier neck or some other difference in construction? *shrug*

Stephen Brown

#14 Post by Stephen Brown » Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:51 pm

epi-phoney wrote:Heavier neck or some other difference in construction? *shrug*
All construction dimensions are the same as a commercially available product.

epi-phoney

#15 Post by epi-phoney » Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:00 pm

You can downtune the B string 15 cents with ap-tuner and get a just major chord on the 2nd-4th strings. (Van Halen did it.) It doesn't give it magical sustaining powers.