New RG prestige :)

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
Shade

New RG prestige :)

#1 Post by Shade » Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:07 pm

Scored myself an RGA121 with a natural finish from guitar center the other day for 450 bucks. I had been playing this guitar on and off for like 2-3 years but just couldn't justify spending 900 on it because of the plain, but subtlety elegant appearance. But saw it on clearance for 450 and boom, they had a deal lol.

The stock pickups are surprisingly not muddy-sounding to me. But I just don't like their over-all tonal character. Kind of...think cardboard in audible form. And I was wondering if yall had any recommendations as to what pickups would go well with this guitar. I think it has a mahogany body with a maple top, and I know wood isn't the end-all of factors when it comes to guitar tone, but I've never had a mahogany guitar before so...

The tone I'm looking for needs to be thick, but clear. I play heavy but I don't really go for a super saturated-distorted tone, so I like to be able to hear the notes in a chord and not have it sound like mush. As I mentioned before the stock pickups give me that, but I just don't really like the dynamics/feel/overall sound of them. I've played dimarzios before in my 7 string(Evo 7 and PAF-7) and really liked them, but there are so many choices and from the descriptions there seems to be a lot of pickups that deliver what I'm describing, just wanted to get some opinions.

Thanks in advance!!!

PS: Sorry for the 4269087542th "which pickup thread lol!"

NaturalJEM

#2 Post by NaturalJEM » Thu Jan 10, 2008 3:51 pm

450! Great grab!

I got an RGA121 a while back. I put an Evo in the bridge and a PAF Pro in the neck, couldn't be happier! However I've seen a lot of people that recommend tone zone or air norton. Either way, I think a nice Dimarzio upgrade is the way to go, just look into how hot, sharp, soft, warm or whatever you want your tone to be.

Shade

#3 Post by Shade » Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:40 pm

Yeah I'm pretty set on a TZ bridge/Breed Neck combination, I can't wait to see and hear how it turns out.

I've had sometime to spend with the guitar just stock and and I'm really not displeased at all by anything. And in actuality could get by with it as is for quite some time.

But being the gear nut I am, i just can't help but tinker and change things lol.