New guitar... pics to follow

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
Post Reply
Jimi182
Member
Member
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:34 am

Well,
I just collected my new guitar yesterday, an Ibanez RG 370dx.

Very nice, in blue.

What does everybody think of these guitars?

Jimi182
IbanezGRX
Banned
Posts: 268
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:30 pm

I have an Ibanez RG350DX which is the exact same guitar, but with a pickguard. I love it alot, I put in DiMarzio EVO's though. The stock Infinity pickups are alright, but EVO's rock. The Edge III isnt BAD but the knife edges wear down quick. Nice guitar. Can you post pictures?
Jimi182
Member
Member
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:34 am

Here are some pics I just quickly shot just now.

I have also posted a pic of my new Tokai No Name Strat, fitted with Kent Armstrong pickups!

Excuse the red strap on the RG! Its only temporary until I get to the guitar store and buy a black strap :twisted:

It rocks!!

http://img230.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 0dxwt2.jpg

http://img232.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... eupyv4.jpg

http://img232.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... ronke9.jpg

Thanks,

Jimi182
Fender868
Newcomer
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2007 2:40 am

These are good for the money. Ibanez lovers will talk bad about them, but that's because they only think of them in the context of their own. Compare these beauties to say a B.C. Rich or a Jackson of the same price and it won't compare. The RG350 just out performs them. However, that said, Jackson's Pro Series is a good bang for the buck too, but isn't in the same price range as the RG3xx.

I own an RGT42dx 2003 model and i love it dearly. I own waaay more expensive guitars, but the neck-thru body is just amazing. I am no fool as i've played my share of IBZ's before to, but mine is just special :).

Congratulations friend! The edge 3 is a fine tremolo. The knife edges may wear out, but they should sustain you long enough until you're ready to move onto a better guitar. Of course this tremolo does not compare to it's more expensive Japanese brethren (Edge pro etc), but among all the cheaper tremolo's ibanez have made over the year, this one is the best of them. It's nice and massive which gives you great tone and sustain, has a low profile, flutters quite nicely and returns to pitch. I've never had any trouble with mine!

Take good care of her!
Jimi182
Member
Member
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:34 am

Cheers friend!!
I will take good care of her!!

What do you think of the Strat? :D
ears1991
Member
Member
Posts: 122
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:42 pm

I have the 350EX, and its an awesome guitar, but could someone explain in basic terms what the knife edges wearing down is and how it happens, i know its part of the edge bridge but ive no idea what bit :lol:
Jimi182
Member
Member
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2007 2:34 am

I second that!

What does it mean. This is my first guitar with a locking trem :roll:

Jimi182
ears1991
Member
Member
Posts: 122
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:42 pm

Jimi182 wrote:I second that!

What does it mean. This is my first guitar with a locking trem :roll:

Jimi182
What does a locking trem mean while we are at it lol
IbanezGRX
Banned
Posts: 268
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:30 pm

ears1991 wrote:
Jimi182 wrote:I second that!

What does it mean. This is my first guitar with a locking trem :roll:

Jimi182
What does a locking trem mean while we are at it lol

'Locking Trem' is when you can lock the tremolo unit down so It doesnt move causing unstable tuning. It just stays in a locked position.


And


ears1991 wrote:I have the 350EX, and its an awesome guitar, but could someone explain in basic terms what the knife edges wearing down is and how it happens, i know its part of the edge bridge but ive no idea what bit :lol:

If you look right at your trem. You will see 2 screws on both sides of the trem. Those are called 'poles' and the trem has Knife edges which kind of bisect them. When you use your whammy bar it rubs on the Poles and if your guitar isnt lubed up (lol) then your knife edges wear down fast. Especially on the Edge III because it is a cheaper version of the Edge PRO and its metals arent as good. Causing unstable tuning.
ears1991
Member
Member
Posts: 122
Joined: Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:42 pm

Thanks for explaining :) That helped alot
but with this locking trem thing, does that mean you can stop the bridge from raising or lowering during tuning? And if so, how do you "lock" the trem?

Thanks in advance
IbanezGRX
Banned
Posts: 268
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:30 pm

Yes the locking holds the bridge locks inplace so when you tune it. The only tension you will have is in the strings, instead of the sprins AND strings. and Im not sure how you lock a trem. I own an EDGE III which I can lock by putting a sock or a peice of wood (or my Ipod) inbetween the Trem and the body.
User avatar
joshua202020
Member
Member
Posts: 440
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:15 am

IbanezGRX wrote:Yes the locking holds the bridge locks inplace so when you tune it. The only tension you will have is in the strings, instead of the sprins AND strings. and Im not sure how you lock a trem. I own an EDGE III which I can lock by putting a sock or a peice of wood (or my Ipod) inbetween the Trem and the body.
You own the Ipod factory?? :lol:
IbanezGRX
Banned
Posts: 268
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 2:30 pm

joshua202020 wrote:
IbanezGRX wrote:Yes the locking holds the bridge locks inplace so when you tune it. The only tension you will have is in the strings, instead of the sprins AND strings. and Im not sure how you lock a trem. I own an EDGE III which I can lock by putting a sock or a peice of wood (or my Ipod) inbetween the Trem and the body.
You own the Ipod factory?? :lol:
Lol one day ill scan my Ipod and show you all the scratches on it. Ive had it for like 3 years. It went through the washer once and still works lol.
Post Reply