whats will all the strat haters out there?

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
Shade

#46 Post by Shade » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:45 pm

theollieb wrote:
NantucketSleighrider wrote:

Big Bad Bill wrote:The necks only have 21 frets-there goes many of the solos I play!
Only old strats and reissue strats have 21 fret necks. Most modern Fenders have 22 fret necks.

Nantucket haha is that even worth adding to your arguement? 22 frets is still so limited.
Really? Tell that to Joe Satriani :? .

Good points have been made on both sides. And no one is really wrong here..because everything boils down to personal experience and preference.

A lot of people have talked about strats having problems staying tune, while others say they haven't had any trouble. Who is right?

Both.

There aren't any rules when it comes to guitar playing, but there does seem to be a lot of stereotypes.

joebot

#47 Post by joebot » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:57 pm

Shade wrote:
theollieb wrote:
NantucketSleighrider wrote:

Only old strats and reissue strats have 21 fret necks. Most modern Fenders have 22 fret necks.

Nantucket haha is that even worth adding to your arguement? 22 frets is still so limited.
Really? Tell that to Joe Satriani :? .

Good points have been made on both sides. And no one is really wrong here..because everything boils down to personal experience and preference.

A lot of people have talked about strats having problems staying tune, while others say they haven't had any trouble. Who is right?

Both.

There aren't any rules when it comes to guitar playing, but there does seem to be a lot of stereotypes.
22 frets is only as limited as your imagination!!!!!!.

I prefer 24 frets but I use 22 because of subtle pickup placement issues. I do use 24 fret guitars when I need them but generally for the sake of tone I go without!.

Everything is a compromise with guitars!

Big Bad Bill

#48 Post by Big Bad Bill » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:53 am

joebot wrote:22 frets is only as limited as your imagination!!!!!!.
Sounds like you've been reading too many Fender adverts! :lol: :wink:
joebot wrote:Everything is a compromise with guitars!
Yes indeed , but when does compromise become an inadequacy? When it's a Fender Strat!

Booligan

#49 Post by Booligan » Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:12 am

I like the mexican strats - the american strats have this log typeish neck that just doesn´t fit into my hand at all. they all sound pretty cool tho, Yngwie´s lead tone is one of the best in the world.

Big Bad Bill

#50 Post by Big Bad Bill » Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:57 am

Booligan wrote:, Yngwie´s lead tone is one of the best in the world.
Yeah it is pretty nice-sort of clean and distorted at the same time. But again, I wonder how much of this is down to amp, FX and single coil rather than amp, FX, strat. Actually, doesn't he use stacked humbuckers?

Booligan

#51 Post by Booligan » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:08 am

in the bridge position, yes. but i believe the neck pickup is just a high output DiMarzio single coil.

I don´t think yngwie uses that many FX, at least his rack is nothing like The Overlords (Petruccis). there is a lot of delay tho.

Big Bad Bill

#52 Post by Big Bad Bill » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:14 am

Booligan wrote:in the bridge position, yes. but i believe the neck pickup is just a high output DiMarzio single coil.
But since the pick up is the heart of a guitar and he's replaced it with a higher output version, can one really say he plays a Strat or is he playing a Strat-shaped guitar?

Overlord! I like that!

Shade

#53 Post by Shade » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:37 am

Big Bad Bill wrote:
Booligan wrote:in the bridge position, yes. but i believe the neck pickup is just a high output DiMarzio single coil.
But since the pick up is the heart of a guitar and he's replaced it with a higher output version, can one really say he plays a Strat or is he playing a Strat-shaped guitar?

Overlord! I like that!
http://youtube.com/watch?v=AbTnnjcIt7M

Zeds.Ded

#54 Post by Zeds.Ded » Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:48 am

i heard somewere that Yngwie screws his pick ups down low and lets the amp do most of the work

resha

#55 Post by resha » Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:31 am

bancika wrote:
resha wrote: But it sounds so much better!
:lol:
Did you try to take one non-nitro guitar, strip it, refinish in nitro and notice the difference? C'mon man, there are dozens of other stuff that influence much more than that. Do you really notice it's better? If you like EJ you must be into that, he can tell two different brands of batteries apart :)
Nope but nitro finish leaves the wood more freedom to resonate :wink:

bancika

#56 Post by bancika » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:13 am

That's such a cliche :D Without scientific evidence and blind test I'm not buying that.
Again, even if it does something it's minimal, to me what matters (from paint) is to be sturdy. JS chrome boy has thick "chrome" coating, but you can't say it doesn't resonate. FP JEMs have fabric all over them, still never heard someone complain when compared to other JEMs (which are not nitro and still resonate :))
Cheers!

Zeds.Ded

#57 Post by Zeds.Ded » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:21 am

when i was at the after show of this tour, Steve was talking about how his favorite sounding Jem was the FP, because of the way the body resonates with the fabric. pretty cool to here him talk about that stuff :D

joebot

#58 Post by joebot » Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:56 am

Big Bad Bill wrote:
joebot wrote:22 frets is only as limited as your imagination!!!!!!.
Sounds like you've been reading too many Fender adverts! :lol: :wink:
joebot wrote:Everything is a compromise with guitars!
Yes indeed , but when does compromise become an inadequacy? When it's a Fender Strat!
no, it doesn't. If it isn't the guitar fort you then it isn't but to hate what is clearly a design classic is pretty daft!.

Proof positive that strats rock!!

http://www.box.net/shared/skjyxkibo1

joebot

#59 Post by joebot » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:00 am

malmsteen uses his signature pickups in the neck and middle and a dimarzio stacked hum in the bridge.

That neck watery fluidic tone is definitely something you can only get from single coils, hums have a thicker more linear sound!.

A single in the bridge is either something you will love or hate, personally I have never tried a dimarzio HS3 (stacked hum) but if I did I have no doubt that I would then have to get my self one and a mini hum, have the single at the top of the bridge position and have the hum at the bottom, I would then have a 1 hum, 4 singles arraignment (one of the singles being a stacked hum) :lol:

joebot

#60 Post by joebot » Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:02 am

bancika wrote:That's such a cliche :D Without scientific evidence and blind test I'm not buying that.
Again, even if it does something it's minimal, to me what matters (from paint) is to be sturdy. JS chrome boy has thick "chrome" coating, but you can't say it doesn't resonate. FP JEMs have fabric all over them, still never heard someone complain when compared to other JEMs (which are not nitro and still resonate :))
Cheers!
I have to say that every finish that has had a waxed coating and a satin finish has had a much better middy warmth to the tone!.

These acrylic/polyester lacquer finishes always sound bassyer and to think!.