whats will all the strat haters out there?

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
joebot

whats will all the strat haters out there?

#1 Post by joebot » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:34 am

I don't get it, I love my strat and I can shred with the best of em, humbucker in the neck though. Why do so many ppl hate strat's who shred?

I used to hate them till I purchased an American from the 90's plugged it in and flicked to the neck, my god, the sound was awesome.

Please explain why so many ppl hate strats?

Zeds.Ded

#2 Post by Zeds.Ded » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:47 am

probably because they are as common as muck, absolutely everybody has one, i used to hate them too, i just got over the fact that they were common and realized that they are such a beautiful looking instrument with such a brilliant sound. probably why they are so common :wink:

joebot

#3 Post by joebot » Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:11 am

Zeds.Ded wrote:probably because they are as common as muck, absolutely everybody has one, i used to hate them too, i just got over the fact that they were common and realized that they are such a beautiful looking instrument with such a brilliant sound. probably why they are so common :wink:
yup!

hey are great, so versatile, mines pretty damn versatile, I have seymour Duncan pearly gates in the neck, a middle pickup from my Yamaha pacifica 604, the lower neck single coil is the neck pickup from the yammy and the neck is a single out of another strat that I preferred, I have never met anyone that uses a hum and three singles before but it really works :lol:

al

#4 Post by al » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:01 am

everyone should own or take on a strat project its mandatory :)

bancika

#5 Post by bancika » Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:31 am

I don't hate strat, it's probably one of the best guitars but what I really don't like is the way neck is made, construction-wise. Especially maple necks, they are made so badly, they tend to twist, bend and wrap very easily. My fathers gets repair jobs all time with twisted strat necks. Shame. Ibanez (even non-prestige) necks are so better built and more stable.

Big Bad Bill

#6 Post by Big Bad Bill » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:20 pm

I dislike Strats for a few reasons:

They don't stay in tune (my main reason)

The pick ups buzz at the slightest provocation and give it a thin and tinny tone.

The necks only have 21 frets-there goes many of the solos I play!

They are ugly and look like something out of the 1950s-because they are, but they haven't evolved and just look so 'clunky' with that bit-of-plastic scratch plate on a body sprayed with car paint colours!

Fender have hyped the old guitars suggesting magic 'tone woods' and liberal amounts of 'mojo' were employed in their construction, when the history says Leo was really only interested in efficient mass production and maximising profit by using poor quality materials and cutting corners in production.

Modern Strats are over priced because the name Fender is a designer label just like Levis, Coke Cola and as bancika has mentioned I know luthiers who's main income is sorting out brand new Fender (and Gibson) guitars.

So, who would buy a Strat over a guitar that stays in tune, doesn't buzz, is constructed with beautiful, robust timbers and materials and doesn't require major work on it because the factory hasn't done their job properly, and plays smoothly with a nice usable action and well profiled neck? I'll tell you who-somebody who's fallen for the hype and the branding.

There's a very, very crude joke about Strats that I'll repeat here but warn you that it's not for the faint hearted and if you're likely to be offended by anatomical and swear words of Saxon origin, then please do not read the small fonted lines below:

What's the difference between a Fender Strat and a clitoris? Nothing: every c**t's got one!

Zeds.Ded

#7 Post by Zeds.Ded » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:28 pm

ding ding ding! you a winnah haw haw haw! you a winnah haw haw haw!

great joke Bill :D

whats the difference between a BMW and a porcupine?

on a BMW the pricks are inside

prman

#8 Post by prman » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:50 pm

Big Bad Bill wrote:I dislike Strats for a few reasons:

They don't stay in tune (my main reason)

The pick ups buzz at the slightest provocation and give it a thin and tinny tone.

The necks only have 21 frets-there goes many of the solos I play!

They are ugly and look like something out of the 1950s-because they are, but they haven't evolved and just look so 'clunky' with that bit-of-plastic scratch plate on a body sprayed with car paint colours!

Fender have hyped the old guitars suggesting magic 'tone woods' and liberal amounts of 'mojo' were employed in their construction, when the history says Leo was really only interested in efficient mass production and maximising profit by using poor quality materials and cutting corners in production.

Modern Strats are over priced because the name Fender is a designer label just like Levis, Coke Cola and as bancika has mentioned I know luthiers who's main income is sorting out brand new Fender (and Gibson) guitars.

So, who would buy a Strat over a guitar that stays in tune, doesn't buzz, is constructed with beautiful, robust timbers and materials and doesn't require major work on it because the factory hasn't done their job properly, and plays smoothly with a nice usable action and well profiled neck? I'll tell you who-somebody who's fallen for the hype and the branding.

Those are the reasons why I don`t buy Fender, Gibson, Ibanez or any other "big brand" guitar. With the same amount of money you can get a custom handmade guitar build to your specs that will most certainly be better that "the real thing". At the same time I understand all the reasons why some people have to get the original Strat or Les Paul or JEM or whatever. It just ain`t for me.

Big Bad Bill

#9 Post by Big Bad Bill » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:29 pm

prman wrote:Those are the reasons why I don`t buy Fender, Gibson, Ibanez or any other "big brand" guitar. With the same amount of money you can get a custom handmade guitar build to your specs that will most certainly be better that "the real thing". At the same time I understand all the reasons why some people have to get the original Strat or Les Paul or JEM or whatever. It just ain`t for me.
I had my fingers very badly burned by a custom guitar maker which is why I went back with Ibanez!

bancika

#10 Post by bancika » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:33 pm

Big Bad Bill wrote:as bancika has mentioned I know luthiers who's main income is sorting out brand new Fender (and Gibson) guitars.
my father stopped taking maple fender necks for repairs. Doesn't have enough time to do all so he cut the part he hates the most :)

boswell

#11 Post by boswell » Mon Oct 22, 2007 2:05 pm

I love Strats neck pickup tone but hate the harsh bridge pickup (so it would need to be a humbucker) The middle pickup I would blank off like Ritchie Blackmore does because the tone is neither one thing nor the other. I like the look of nice 70's Natural but with black scratch plate.
They don't stay in tune so I'd need to stick a Steinberger bridge on it and head piece on it so I could fit double ball strings...........er ah I remember now why I sold my Strat and bought a Steinberger GR4 stuck a coil tap on the neck SD Hotrail then screwed the middle pickup down to the body.

Stock Strats suck and I have a severe hatred of the Relic nonsense they are making and selling by the shit load

Zeds.Ded

#12 Post by Zeds.Ded » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:07 pm

i agree with you on your views about the relics Boswell, total utter ball cakes.

NantucketSleighrider

#13 Post by NantucketSleighrider » Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:52 pm

As a strat lover, I feel as though I have to defend a few of the points made against strats in this thread!
Big Bad Bill wrote: They don't stay in tune (my main reason)
I have owned mabye 12 strats in my time, and I have never owned one that never stayed in tune. You pay for what you get, any cheap poorly made guitar isn't going to stay in tune. Don't buy a mex/jap strat an *expect it to be as good as an American. You wouldn't but a Jem 555 and expect it to be as good as a 7wh, would you?
Big Bad Bill wrote:The pick ups buzz at the slightest provocation and give it a thin and tinny tone.
Single coils will give a thinner tone and provide less volume than a humbucker, but thats not bad, its just preference. And anyway, its certainly not a "tinny" tone. Some of the fullest and beautiful tones in guitar history have come from strats.
Big Bad Bill wrote:The necks only have 21 frets-there goes many of the solos I play!
Only old strats and reissue strats have 21 fret necks. Most modern Fenders have 22 fret necks.
Big Bad Bill wrote:They are ugly and look like something out of the 1950s-because they are, but they haven't evolved and just look so 'clunky' with that bit-of-plastic scratch plate on a body sprayed with car paint colours!
Again, its preference. I happen to think that strats are one of the most beautiful guitars ever created, artistic perfection. Clunky body, bit of plastic scratchplate, carpaint colours, you could say that about Ibanez too!
Big Bad Bill wrote:Modern Strats are over priced because the name Fender is a designer label just like Levis, Coke Cola and as bancika has mentioned I know luthiers who's main income is sorting out brand new Fender (and Gibson) guitars.
It may be considered a "designer label" amongst guitarists, but that certainly doesn't mean that is is a bad brand, not by a long shot. And the top level modern strats may be overpriced, but can anyone name a guitar company where the top models arent overpriced? *cough20thanniversaryjemcough*

Big Bad Bill wrote:What's the difference between a Fender Strat and a clitoris? Nothing: every c**t's got one!
Good joke tho! :D

guitarbonham

#14 Post by guitarbonham » Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:14 pm

I think strats are very nice, but for the money you pay for them they better be. with my 600$ esp i can get some really nice sounds out of it, it stays in tune perfectly (better than strats have in my experience) and i have never seen an esp for any price come from the factory in crappy condition. now with strats you NEED to play before you buy one because they are very hit and miss. some will play and sound like perfection, but other ones will just be crappy. I played a 1,500$ strat that had a terrible fret job. you could cut yourself sliding up and down the neck. for a 1,500$ guitar i would expect sooo much more than that. i find this true for both fender and gibson and a bit for the other big companies, but not so much. I don't understand why people can buy a fender guitar when you can get guitars almost exactly the same and half the price from any other brand. often times being more solidly built with extra little perks that fender doesn't have( floyd rose, humbuckers, 24 frets stuff like that). it may just be the fact that i have very little money lol but it never made sense to me.

o ya another thing i walk into a guitar center with my guitar and everyones like WHOA sweet! and if i came in with an american made high end fender people are like o ya thats cool... i have an esp H-400. they discontinued my model tho the new ones look kinda lame...

Big Bad Bill

#15 Post by Big Bad Bill » Tue Oct 23, 2007 1:55 am

Maybe that's what its all about really-a lack of consistency. NantucketSleighrider has clearly been very lucky and owned stable, well made Strats, but all the Strat owners I've known have had tuning problems-the trem being the source of the problem. I think its the whole Strat 'concept' that's the problem or rather the fact that is hasn't evolved out its faults. If you look at similarly priced Strat developments like Schecter , Music Man or even the very cheap Yamaha Pacifica, they are much better guitars.

So again, why do people buy Strats over better made and similar looking guitars-because they want to by into the whole dream that Fender's PR department has conjured up over the years.

The aesthetics? Well yes, you're right NantucketSleighrider, it is all about personal taste and it was a cheap shot on my part and I apologise for presenting a flawed argument (but don't get me started on Teles!).