Grain direction

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
sunai

can someone please tell me how to see which direction the grain has or how to read which direction it is in

here's an example (a pic taken from ibanez rules)
NOT!!!

well, you see, the little holes in the wood are parallel to the neck, right?
sunai

so is it left to right or the other way round???

askin coz there's a string change coming up and i found some cool stuff on ibanez rules, i don't wanna screw up my guitar!!!!
seljer

its both left and right

just not up and down
bancika

whatever you do with it the orientation doesn't matter, direction matters and it's horizontal.
sunai

k thanx

askin coz i heard if u run the steel wool against the grain it screws up the board!!!!!
quiksilver98

Well thats the last time I bring my Peavey to my guitar tech, he does it up and down with the wool, Thank god i set my JEM up myself.
sunai

quiksilver98 wrote:Well thats the last time I bring my Peavey to my guitar tech, he does it up and down with the wool, Thank god i set my JEM up myself.
that's the reason i never allow any one else to change the setup of my guitar
though i dont know how to set up the truss rod and that im never gonna do probably coz im never gonna change string gauges
VaiEvo

sunai0804 wrote:k thanx

askin coz i heard if u run the steel wool against the grain it screws up the board!!!!!
"against the grain" just means that you move in the opposite direction, in the case of the picture up and down. It doesn't matter if it's right to left or left to right. The grain is parallel with the strings, that's all that really matters.
resha

bancika wrote:whatever you do with it the orientation doesn't matter, direction matters and it's horizontal.
Yup!

Just go perpendicual to the frets :wink: