transparent paintjobs

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
BenHeath

I am wondering if it is at all possible to create a transparent paintjob using spraypaint cans and the like? Just stuff I can pick up from Home Depot on the way home.
jemgirl

i think you can.
however...its better to do the job by a proff.painter.
RAI

What exactly is a "transparent paint job"?
Show us what you want to achieve......
Last edited by RAI on Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guyver_dio

erm...a paint that makes things transparent? :shock:

to make a transparent body, you need to get acrylic resin and mold it to a guitar shape.
Bababoey

like those b.c. rich guitars???
RAI

Of course....
I should have known.
"Those B.C. Rich" guitars.......
:lol:
BenHeath

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/vie ... &members=1

I want to paint the neck of that guitar (currently maple with satin finish) the same color as the outer ring of the body, which is a transparent orange-red.
guyver_dio

It's not a transparent paint, it's just the way it's applied.

http://www.reranch.com/gibson_sunburst.htm

That gives you an idea how one can be done. It can be done with spraypaint but the method they use is done with wood dye. I'm not sure how you'd get that transparent effect on the neck of the guitar, but it'd probably be the same method if you were doing it with paint in a spray gun, and that is tape over the fretboard edges and top so no paint gets on the parts you don't want paint, make a cutout of the neck shape but smaller so it stops the paint from spraying evenly across the whole neck, place the cutout sitting just off the neck and spray so the edges are dark but gets lighter as it moves over the cutout. This is what has been written on other tutorials, I've never tried this myself.

The type and colour you should use goes past my training as a furniture salesman. :P
Last edited by guyver_dio on Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RAI

There are ususally two ways to achieve a finish like that.
Staining the wood directly, or tinting the clear.
That guitar is probably stained for the base, and then a tinted clear for the burst.

For a cheap, DIY way, you would stain, and then clear.
Your neck has a clear coat on it of some sort. That needs to be removed 100%. Then you need to find a stain that matches the body.
That will be tricky....

For the finer details, head on over to projectguitar.com, and read through the tutorials, and message boards.
IbanezGRX
Banned

Lol guyver_dio He means a paint where its color.. but you can still see the wood grain behind it.. Like a low Opacity color.
VaiEvo

You'd need to remove all the parts, sand the woods you'll be painting, and then paint it/stain it so that the grain and pores soak up the paint/stain. Then, you'd want to clear coat it.

If you're seriously considering this, check out www.projectguitar.com ; they're awesome and have a LOT of helpful tutorials and pointers.