JEM problems

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
guyver_dio

what the hell is a ringy sound?, Do you mean fret buzz?, I have absolutely no idea what ringy sound refers to, it could mean practically anything. Come on dude you gotta explain things a bit more clearly otherwise people are just gonna take pot shots at what it could possibly be and get you fuckin no-where. Also with the bridge on an angle problem as you described it, can you get a picture of what you're seeing, if we can see what you mean we'd be able to give you the correct advice you need to fix these problems.

I agree with brentm about the trem returning to neutral. Without any modifications, I think I haven't played a single floating trem guitar that returns to perfect pitch everytime. I know for a fact that my jem is set up correctly and even it doesn't return perfectly everytime, but I wouldn't worry about it, it's to small for anyone to notice with their ears, and it's been a well known fact since day dot floating bridge guitars need to be tuned more frequently then a fixed bridge. It's just the way it is.
quiksilver98

I know, the ringy sound is like, if you play an open E, the sound sounds straight, but on my jem it's like a fast fluttering, this is on all the strings.
If you ever listen to florescent light, thats the sound I get except it's at the pitch of the string.

It's not fret buzz.
guyver_dio

Sounds like sensitive springs. The edge pro's are sensitive by nature and you can actually physically see the trem move if you strike a string hard, so I wouldn't be surprised if the trem is slightly vibrating when a string is being struck and causing you to get that fluctuating effect. Since your jem is brand new, I'd probably put up with it just for a little while, use the heck out of the trem system, and see if the springs settle after time. Also another option, if you feel the springs are quite stretched, you can look into replacing the springs for a longer spring set, the more closed a spring is the more force it will need to make them open so a simple vibration of a string won't be enough to make them move. Another alternative to cutting down spring noise that might benefit this problem is pack foam around the springs so the foam hugs the springs, this will cut down any minor unwanted vibrations.
quiksilver98

I held a bunched up cloth to the spring while playing and still got the same thing.

Before I changed the strings last night, it was mostly the high E string that had the problem because I had to change that the night before that.

Also, the trem looks like it's like pivoted to the right (looking at the trem down to down the neck), as the strings leave the trem, they curve to fit the guitar.
aaron555

can you post pics Im not shure wat you are saying
quiksilver98

I turned my cam on and the lense came half way out and then cracked yesterday.
quiksilver98

Heres a thing every guitar setup pro should know, TURN OFF ANY NEARBY FANS! This was the cause of the ringy sound!!!!!!

I took it to my tech and he said everything is fine, the music also said the same.

MY JEM IS PERFECT!
quiksilver98

MY three G's are passed.

Good Quality, Good Playability, Good looks
quiksilver98

Broke high E again, it broke right over the insert that is right as the string leave the saddle. I'm going to sand it with some 400GRIT W/D Sandpaper.
Lucky

If you play 09-42, try these. http://store.juststrings.net/ghs-le-gbxl.html
quiksilver98

I play 10's but, it's not the strings, theres a burr on insert, I can't see it but I know it's there.
fyrie

In my experience 10s hold up very well to whammy usage, so yes, there must be a burr.
quiksilver98

I've salvaged the string, put loob on the insert and tomorrow i'm going to loosen the string and sand it out.
Mr. Wiggles

quiksilver98 wrote:I've salvaged the string, put loob on the insert and tomorrow i'm going to loosen the string and sand it out.

Make sure you only do it lightly. I mean LIGHTLY. Only maybe 2 or 3 strokes will do. Had the same problem on my Edge 3.
quiksilver98

I used 400, did about 40 stroke, light ones.