JEM problems

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
quiksilver98

Hey guys, i'm having some serious problems with my JEM.

Two days after I got it, I decided to put Ernie Ball 9's on because the stock strings suck. They went through a good stretch, i set the whole guitar up and then when I was playing that night, my high E string broke and I wasn't even bending or Vibrato.

Then I decided to put 10's on because that all I had left (Ernie Ball), I set the guitar up for the strings and stretched the string all night long and then this morning it was staying in tune quite well except it would half a bar flat after a song and all I would have to do is touch the whamy bar in the back position and it would knock back into perfect pitch, I then played FTLOG and the high E broke again!!!

So basically, theres seems to be somthing wrong witht he pivot points that it goes flat and all i have to do is touch the whammy bar in the back postion and it knocks back in. Also, there seem to be something wrong that my string keeps breaking......

HELP!
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

You just need to break it in a bit. Use the whammy a lot just to get the system used to movement. With a bit of playing it will reach equilibrium.

Mikey
vai.com
quiksilver98

Thanks Mikey, but my high E keeps breaking, it seems to be right in the saddle.

I've been playing it a lot since I got it on thursday.....
TonyMacalpine

there could be a burr on the contact point of the string and saddle. it happens on my strats all the time. You can take a little bit of cocktail straw and use it as a barrier between the string and the saddle (idk how that would work out on a jem though...I've never really even held one). You could look into string savers too, the graphite saddles. IDK if they make one for the Jem bridge, but if they do, it would be a good move for you to go ahead and replace the whole set so you don't have to worry about this happening. Or you could just replace the saddle with another stock one.
Lucky

I've had this issue on every Ibanez guitar I've ever owned ('98 RG 570, '93 RG 550, '00 RG 570, 02 JEM DBK) except for my old Iceman, hehehe. I can bend fearlessly with .009s on any Jackson I've yet owned (stock bridge *or* OFR modded, didn't matter) but with my Ibanez Edge-equipped guitars, even if they were brand new strings you bend too far and forget about it...snap, crackle and pop right at the saddle! :lol:
dohnut

Sounds like a problem I had with a Gibson SG I used to own many moons ago. Guy in a guitar store suggested trying to gently file the saddle with a fine file or something like that. I can't remember what I actually used but it did the trick. I have assumed the string is breaking at the saddle.
fyrie

It sounds like you have two problems. 1) The breaking is most likely due to a spur as previously indicated, and 2) Your floyd is having tuning stability problems. See this page: http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/t ... bility.htm. Try the chapstick tip in #11 before worrying about dull knife edges.

Also, if your jem is brand new, Mikey might have a point as far as break in goes. Sometimes the springs need to be broken in, but I've never personally experienced this, even with brand new replacement springs. This is covered however on Ibanezrules.
miker

Breaking the E... you do this pulling up on the bar? If you do it could be an improper trem adjustment. If you can pull up till you snap strings, your trem isn't level with the top of your guitar -- the bridge is pulling forward (towards the headstock, not the heel of the guitar -- the springs aren't adjusted tight enough to pull it level)... high E's gonna be the first one to go putting all under equal pressure. If the bridge is level with the top of the guitar... i.e., basically a good set up... the trem should bottom out on wood before a string breaks.

If it doesn't happen when you pull up on the bar... maybe what's already been written could apply.

Good luck. Hope you fix your guitar soon (you will eventually I'm sure).
quiksilver98

The second time it broke was the bar pull up part on FTLOG near the end. I've checked ibanez rules for ttrem angle and mine is dead center.
miker

Well... come to think of it. When I first got my Jem in 2004... I was starting to get tired of changing the high E string. I broke a lot of them... and then it got better. I figured it was me and forgot about it.

Might be a combination of me getting used to it (first floating bridge with a lion's claw to allow pull-up)... and breaking the trem in. Dunno.

I had to order extra first strings from a music store I went through so many of them.

Keep us posted what happens.
quiksilver98

Well, I have Floyds on most of my guitars but it's probably because of the large cavity and the second was probably because I tightened the saddle to hard and it crushed the string.

It's staying in tune now excepting the pitch return, after I play I have to touch the whammy bar in the back position (pushing down make it sharp) to knock it back to perfect pitch.
aaron555

maybe you also need to stretch your springs
http://jemsite.com/tech/2mods.htm#breakin
quiksilver98

Thanks a lot! She seems to be hold tune now, the worst she's gotten is half on 440 and half on flat/sharp.
quiksilver98

How much should I have to tune my JEM? After how many FTLOG's?
quiksilver98

Tuning is still going flat, and also when I pluck some of my strings, it doesnt sound normal, it has wavery kind of ring.