RG series full neck scallop

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
llamahead

does anybody know where i can get a neck for an RG350DX that's already fully scalloped? if not a replacement neck in case i mess up
Zeds.Ded

try Ebay to get a replacement neck, doubt youll ever get one already scalloped. or maybe send your neck to a professional so theres no chance of messing up
Becker Ola

I'm not entirely sure if it'll work, but I know Warmoth makes some pretty good scalloped necks. I know they make ones that work for Strat style guitars, I'm sure they can make a 24 fret one for an RG.
j.arledge

warmoth wont do ibanez style necks , but i belive you can send it to them to have it scalloped .

have you ever played a scalloped neck ? just wondering , i personally dont like it at all .

scallops shouldn't be very deep at all and you can actaully achive a scalloped feel with jumbo frets i belive 6000 gauge .

Last edited by j.arledge on Thu May 03, 2007 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zeds.Ded

you can play so much lighter with scalloped necks, making you more accurate, fast and clean, but as said, some just dont like the feel of them
Toxicity!
Newcomer

u can scallop the fretboard urself, its not that difficult i have 2 scalloped rg boards, one from a RG520 and one from a RG320. =)
Zeds.Ded

yeh its actually not that hard, you just gotta keep away from the fret wire, other than that its handy!
vaiisagoodguitarplayer

does anyone know if a scalloped neck affects tone at all?
Zeds.Ded

less wood less sustain, but there wont really be enough to make a difference with the scallops i doubt
VaiEvo

Fully scalloped necks are annoying, you can't to much with them chord-wise, so (to me at least) it's only logical to scallop above the twelfth AT MOST, I say top four or five should be scalloped, solely because it makes soloing easier.
notavirtuoso

Scalloped neck + Me = guitar thrown into nearest body of water. I just can't play them. My touch is nowhere near delicate enough to play them. I have a very heavy handed, sloppy style that just doesn't mix with scalloped necks. Of course this isn't the neck's fault, it's mine. But I'm not going to let a silly little thing like who's right and who's wrong decide who gets thrown into the water.
VaiEvo

notavirtuoso wrote:Scalloped neck + Me = guitar thrown into nearest body of water. I just can't play them. My touch is nowhere near delicate enough to play them. I have a very heavy handed, sloppy style that just doesn't mix with scalloped necks. Of course this isn't the neck's fault, it's mine. But I'm not going to let a silly little thing like who's right and who's wrong decide who gets thrown into the water.
I know what you mean. When it comes to chording, I like pressing down really hard. My action's pretty high, and the only reason I like lower actions is for during solos. Other than that, I like having to press down, there's something about the feeling.
llamahead

notavirtuoso wrote:Scalloped neck + Me = guitar thrown into nearest body of water. I just can't play them. My touch is nowhere near delicate enough to play them. I have a very heavy handed, sloppy style that just doesn't mix with scalloped necks. Of course this isn't the neck's fault, it's mine. But I'm not going to let a silly little thing like who's right and who's wrong decide who gets thrown into the water.
i have that same problem so that's part of the reason i want to scallop it. also so i can go fast YNGWIE OR VAI FAST!!! :twisted:
MichaelThomas

I've never played a fully scalloped neck but it seems to me that fretting chords would be a pain in the balls.