Jem 7V setup

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
ricdiggle
Newcomer

Hi all,

I've just returned to Ibanez after a ten year affair with a Parker Fly Delux (don't even ask - I almost stopped playing completely!) Anyway, due my disposable income being a bit higher nowadays I bought myself the dream and went for the Jem 7V WH. I'm loving the guitar so far but I'm disappointed in the setup from the factory. I've read a very clear article (somewhere) about how to set it all up but I'm not prepared to do it myself for fear of ruining it.

Does anyone in the UK have any great recommendations for a place to take it to get a pro to set it up? I'm based in West Yorkshire but will travel a bit for the right man.

Many thanks,

Richard
danijgc
Newcomer

Guitar setup is not a difficult issue, it's probably that the factory setup does not match your style and playing, ok, but with a little on experience, information and common sense, everything is easy and you can do it by yourself. There are a lot of guitar techs and luthiers, but I think that you are the best tech for your needs, taste, etc. A good guitar tech can do a good job and get the guitar well intonated, clear, etc. in a general way but every guitar player is different and each one must know set the guitar up for take the best from her, these little differences make a good setup a perfect setup (or almost).

Good luck!!
tony2500ie

Yes there is a guy called Max Cottam who is by far the best Ibanez man in the UK...

I have got a good bit of stuff from him and he is great to deal with....

where is is site

http://www.cottamguitars.co.uk/
ricdiggle
Newcomer

Many thanks to you both.

Much as I'd love to be able to do it myself I've sent Cottam an email.

Thanks again,

Richard
ricdiggle
Newcomer

Just as an update to this:

I went to visit Max Cottam on Friday and he's setup both my 7v and my PGM500CA to perfection.

The Jem needed a neck shim to get the height up enough to allow low action - which frankly I think is very poor for a guitar of this calibre to come out of the factory this way. The PGM has had a full fret dress and setup and both play like a dream.

His swirl jem bodies also look stunning and I can see myself investing in one at some point.

Many thanks indeed for the recommendation - he was indeed all you said he'd be. Bloody nice chap too.
tony2500ie

Yeah ....

Max is the MAN !!!

T