a question for you guitartechs...

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
NOT!!!

a question for you guitartechs...

#1 Post by NOT!!! » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:33 pm

Hi!

When I switch from 0.10-0.46 to 0.09-0.42 stringgauge...do I have to tighten the neckscrew?

al

#2 Post by al » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:51 pm

truss rod... nah not really its a pretty minor adjustment.... but just make adjustments to the trem if u have one im sure it will be ok check the intonation and what not..

j.arledge

#3 Post by j.arledge » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:17 pm

brother al wrote:truss rod... nah not really its a pretty minor adjustment.... but just make adjustments to the trem if u have one im sure it will be ok check the intonation and what not..
one of my guitars came setup with 9s and i changed to 10-13-17-36-46-56 gauge strings and didn't have to adjust the truss rod .

if guitars are sujected to pressure tempurature or humidity changes rapidly the necks can bow up . i went to both the local music shops and it had just gotten really cold and both shops had three or 4 guitars that needed truss rod adjustments .

so it is something to sorta keep in mind but i wouldn't worry about it too much

jemgirl

Re: a question for you guitartechs...

#4 Post by jemgirl » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:54 am

NOT!!! wrote:Hi!

When I switch from 0.10-0.46 to 0.09-0.42 stringgauge...do I have to tighten the neckscrew?
just replace the strings and see what going on.
maybe you need to bow youre neck a little.
goodluck!

Ant711UK

#5 Post by Ant711UK » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:42 pm

No! I've drop tuned two of mine to D with 10's and I didn't touch the truss rods and they both sound and play fine.

I don't think you'd need to adjust it for a simple string gauge change unless you had a problem anyway.

On a similar note about pitch set ups etc, I'm not too convinced about fretwave or buzz fieten tuning systems either as the guitar is slightly in and out of tune all over the neck when you play anyway because of different fingertip pressures and because it's basically moving.

I think an experienced players ears work these minute differences out during solo's etc and they just know how to keep the notes in tune in much the same way as a sax player does.

Tony