Fitting a new pickup..is it easy to do??

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
ultra

Hi Guys,
I have an RG350DX and im looking at putting a Dimarzio FRED in the bridge or an EVO...not decide yet. Is it easy to change a pickup? as i know this would mean removing the scratchplate etc....not being a master welder, is it somethin the average guy can do...any thoughts at all would be awesome....i bow to your font of knowledge..lol!!
Ultra
Booligan

You basically unscrew a few screws and then melt the metal from the wires. I thought it´d be difficult but it turned out to be a fairly simple process. Just don´t rush it.
seljer

if you can use a screwdriver and a soldering iron its nothing hard at all :)
ultra

Thanks guys im feeling a little more confident now...do i have to unscrew the bridge humbucker and the single coil to remove the scratchplate too??
j.arledge

what i would do to make it as easy as possible is take the tremolo out .

what you do is unscrew the back plate and pop all the tremolo springs off . now when you do this have the guitar's tremolo resting on you leg and use both hands. use a pair of needle nose pliers to help you pop the springs out . use the other free hand to make sure you dont hit the guitar when the spring actaully pops outs.

once you have all the springs off you can ease the tremolo out of the top side of the guitar with the strings still attached .

now you can un-screw the entire pickguard and it gives you a lot more room to work with and there is less of a chance you'll ding anything .

as far as actaul pickup installation goes i'll walk you through it if you need help . i know that it can be a little confusing at first espeically if your new to guitar wiring but it really isn't all that hard .
another virtuoso

i would get some wire and practice a time or two putting ends together - just to make sure you can do it before you go messing with the actual pickups.