If not JEM then What???

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
mettlus
Newcomer

I really want to sound like VAI (Harmonics/whammy/dive) ...I dont have money for the JEM so I was wondering if you guys can suggest which will be the closest guitar which can sound like JEM (under $600)

Appreciate your inputs!!!

TIA
guitar88

An used Japanese RG ;)
the_1570

Yup. Look for an old RG550 on eBay and replace the pickups with evolutions.
t0M0733
Newcomer

Yeah Ibanez RG is as close as you will get seeing as it was bassed on the JEM in the first place.

Just get a nice one with a good trem on it and a H-S-H pick up config.

Then redo the picups with your choice of Vai's 3 DiMarzio signature pic ups, Evo, Evo 2 or Breed,

Just remeber though that Vai's tone is in his fingers even more so than his gear.
Paitent Monkey

A Kramer Baretta w/ Floyd Rose Tremolo is a Beast Still,- you'll probably need "Hot" Pick-Ups! :arrow: :peace
seljer

a used Ibanez RG (Prestige if possible), add some Dimarzio Evolutions and you're prettymuch there (or PAF Pros for the older tone)

out of their current lineup the RG1570 is their cheapest Japanese RG (if you can save up a bit you can evem get a new one) or the older 570 or 570 is prettymuch equal.
They're all good, the only thing you have to watch out for is the bridge, make sure its got an Edge for the bridge and not a Lo TRS...i think thats means practically all the RGs with a model number above 500, also watch out for the newer Edge IIIs as they're not that great compared to the older ones either (though apparently they're 'fixing' that this year)
The_Illusionist

Any guitar equipped with humbuckers/single coil pickups and a whammy...
Listen... the Vai sound doesn't come from the guitar, it comes from his fingers, amp/gear settings and the way they mix and master the cd/dvd/concert!
Any guitar, a lot of practising and even more imagination when it comes to getting the right sound out of that amp will get you pretty close though...
llamahead

The_Illusionist wrote:Any guitar equipped with humbuckers/single coil pickups and a whammy...
Listen... the Vai sound doesn't come from the guitar, it comes from his fingers, amp/gear settings and the way they mix and master the cd/dvd/concert!
Any guitar, a lot of practising and even more imagination when it comes to getting the right sound out of that amp will get you pretty close though...
true, there are plenty of pics of steve with a VERY modified strat
Mr. Bluesman

Yeah, that's right. I'd say 80% of the sound depends on the amp and / or pedals (if there's such like distortion pedals etc.)

Get a guitar with a HSH or HH pickup setup (DiMarzio will get you even closer) and a Floyd Rose.

That's a good start.
mettlus
Newcomer

Partially agree that sound comes from slick of ur hand.....yes u are right but...unless u have a high end guitar and a nice rack u can't do the DIVE and harmonics like Vai style...
Finally picked up the Jackson DK2 with the SD pick ups!!!!

Thanks for all inputs!!!
pagliai

1570 is right!!!
rg570 with evolution or breed or paf pro
you can buy it on ebay there are some shop there where you can buy the parts cheaper
music_man_2008
Newcomer

Yeah definatley grab a RG1570 thats what i use until i get some more cash. I've changed the pickups to DiMarzio Evo's. i actually have the first prestige series that came out of the 1570, and this neck is thinner than steve's, a little more comfortable too.
pagliai

Jim Donohue Edan ;)
StevieRayVai

RG350dxwh- Same pickguard, color, body-style, just replace the PU's with EVO's and possibly an EVO2 bridge and you're all set to go.
Matheau

StevieRayVai wrote:RG350dxwh- Same pickguard, color, body-style, just replace the PU's with EVO's and possibly an EVO2 bridge and you're all set to go.
For the price of doing that, he could get a better used Ibanez anyways.