Wylde strings his guitars wierd

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
another virtuoso

http://www.zakkwylde.com/forums/viewtop ... b22e5a0c36

i was trying to figure out why he does this and found myself in his message board. What do you guys think - anyone tried it? i wonder if it could effect sustain in anyway.
could it have any other possible advantages/disadvantages?
j.arledge

zakk says it helps decrease the angel from the tail peice to the bridge helping prolong strings life and cutting down on breaks , also suppose to help increase sustain , i have only owned one fixed bridge guitar like that so can't say .
resha

Nothing new.

The first Gibson did not have the complete Tune-o-matic bridge as we know it, they only had the tailpiece so you were obliged to wrap the strings around it (so its called wraparound) or their action would have been too low to play... :)

Here you can find pics of them http://www.gibson.com/press/gear/
the_1570

Meh, my friend tried it on his guitar, it didn't really do much.
The_Illusionist

zakk also has another use for the "wraparound", in some songs they (zakk and nick catanese) play the strings down there, (play is perhaps overkill, "striking" is probably more correct :P) and when using the wraparound technique the strings aren't muted as much and therefore sound a lot louder when played!
I'll try to find the names for some of the songs, so you guys can check it out...
Ace628

yeah..thanks for sharein this :D

Bls is my fav. band..lol..and i guess now i know how to get more of the heavy sound :D
seljer

he's not the first either :wink:

Jimmy Page wad doing it 3 decades ago, as well as Duane Allman
Mr. Supertron

The answer to this subject was actually in an issue of Guitar World a few years ago. No point in telling you what already has been said.
TheArchitect

Top wrapping the stoptail is pretty common and often discussed on the Les Paul Forum
slash89

I've tried it on my Gibson Les Paul Classic. I didn't know that Zakk Wylde strings his axes like this.. I can't really say that I heard/felt any difference :oops: