I chipped the paint - how should I fix?

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
Dragonfly777

Well, I chipped the paint on the edge of my RG2550EGK. :(

Aesthetically, its not like a major problem for me, but it's right where my hand usually rests when I'm playing sitting down, so it's sometimes uncomfortable. This is also causing more paint to peel off, and I'd like to try to fix it before more damage is done.

I was wondering how I should go about fixing this.

My dad suggested using some car touch up paint to fill it in.
Would that do that trick? or is there a special paint that will work better.
jemgirl

give a try with black nailpolish.
thats what i did with one of my axes. nailpolish is thick.
leigh01

why not just add a small laquer and vaneer to that little ding, because it doesn't matter about the paint look it matters more about it peeling off, but you can use nearly any type of paint as long as it's going to be laquered on top, I would recommened trying to get a hold of some guitar paint but it can be incredibly expensive, flammable and difficult to ship in. depending on where you live also if you don't have those skill's do as jemgirl said. :wink: :lol:
mr_vai777

leave it

chips look nice, it makes the guitar look well used. mine's covered in chips and it isn't like it bothered SRV or Rory Gallagher :P
Tommy

Just use black nailpolish.
Dragonfly777

thanks
brentm

If you want it to stop chipping, but not look like a cover up... use some clear nail polish.
Warchild
Newcomer

when i chipped my guitar i was suicidal so i paid the cash to get it sorted by a french polisher. you cant see that it was chipped.
BlindVision48

I chipped the same guitar in the same spot. :shock:
al

i like chips

but they only count when u do it by accident or normal wear and tear

oh use a marker or somethin nail plolish whatever has a similer colour
Zeds.Ded

Warchild wrote:when i chipped my guitar i was suicidal so i paid the cash to get it sorted by a french polisher. you cant see that it was chipped.
does he have to be French? :lol:
Jem22

I had a chip in my red guitar and my guitar teacher suggested car paint (more specifically a Honda-make cherry colour :P) and said I could get it at any hardware store. I haven't fixed it yet, but it's just a small chip - nothing like yours!
VaiEvo

As the saying goes, "a little spit and glue goes a long way."

Try putting some tape (literally- any kind should do) over the chip, and then smooth it out- it'll feel softer, if not the same as, the original paint job (though I don't know... tape can't compete with french polish or laquer). But tape is the economical and easiest solution.
Big Bad Bill

I'd rub the area down with a piece of 1500 wet and dry paper to make it really smooth before doing anything or just leaving it if it doesn't bother you.
joshua202020

Dismantle the neck, bridge, pickups, and all wiring then sand the whole guitar down to the wood and repaint it with the color of your choice then use some top coat like that used in automobiles then buy some rubbing compound and rub the whole guitar with cotton and congratulations you have a brand new Ibanez rg2550..