Fender Flat Head Showmaster

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
Ironman

Anyone played this looks sweet all black with emgs yummy exspencive though
slash89

I really don't like this guitar. It just doesn't feel right IMO.
Ironman

is it because it is made for metal by chance ? Cause you said the exact same thing about the thompson ibanez.
slash89

I have nothing against metal.. But this guitar however :roll:
Ironman

two of the guitars i posted you bad mouthed and both are meant for metal have you played both of them ?
slash89

Ironman wrote:two of the guitars i posted you bad mouthed and both are meant for metal have you played both of them ?
I told you my honest opinion. Take it or leave it :wink:
NantucketSleighrider

Don't get me wrong, I am pretty sure it plays nice, but a Fender with EMG's is just blasphemy in my opinion!
Ironman

why do you think that ?
miker

Not a big fan of EMG's myself. They sound the same in any guitar. I think they hide the natural sound of the guitar with their active electronics... but that's just me.

I remember at the sound check in San Francisco, April 2005... this luthier was there with a couple guitars. He had this all metal one, with an EMG in it. He asked Steve to play it... graciously, Steve picked up the guitar and wanked on it a bit. After he finished, he smiled as he handed it back to the gentlman and commented, "Yup. Sounds like an EMG." ...and he chuckled.

I don't think Steve's a big fan of EMG's either. I just get that impression. yah. pretty much.

But hey, some people swear by them. My buddy replaced some Les Paul P-90 pick-ups with EMG's... and what I would deem sacrilege :shock: ... he feels is an improvement. Course... I keep that opinion to myself when I talk to him... unless he asks me. heh.
Ironman

not everyone is a metal head or likes to play metal and i think that is why alot of people talk ish about the emgs you know. What are other sweet pick ups for a heavy tone ?
NantucketSleighrider

Ironman wrote:why do you think that ?
I don't think that EMGs reflect any part of the player in what is coming out of the amp. I like a pickup that can react to the slightest nuance in your playing. To me, any pickup which houses a friggin battery is there purely for extremes. I see EMG's in the same boat as, "these go up to 11!"

Go and listen to a Jeff Beck album, you don't need red hot pickups to get a great sound.
Ironman

no one said that but if someone prefers to play metal and use emgs that is there choice i never said one was better then the other. I am just trying to learn here from people with more knowledge then me is all.
Tommy

You can get a way better tone with passive pickups like DiMarzio.
miker

Ironman wrote:no one said that but if someone prefers to play metal and use emgs that is there choice i never said one was better then the other.
For metal... I like Dime's sound. He used Seymour Duncan, Bill Lawrence, and DiMarzio's. Dunno for sure what he used in his "Dean from Hell." He used an MXR graphic eq pedal to scoop out the mids -- V, give it a harsher tone.

I kinda like his sound for that kinda heavy shit. He didn't use EMG's.
Ironman

yes dime had an amazing tone probly the best metal tone but no one will ever be able to recreate it cause it was all him you can have the same equipment as him but never be able to achieve his tone. And he used the bill lawrence i heard he never used duncans they just made a pick up dedicated to him never heard of him using dimarzios though. I do not have a ton of money to shell out on a 2000 dollar tube amp i play through a crate solid state amp. And i would get new pick ups in my guitar right now but it would cost almost as much as i payed for my damm guitar and to me it is just not worth it.