need serious help with my decision

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
Ironman

I own an Ibanez rg350 dx and really like it but the action needs to be lowered something fierce and i am not to sure if i should just get a new guitar with better pickups and with these adjustments from the get go or take my ibanez in and have them adjust it and lower the strings and put in new pickups i been thinking about emgs but after hearing some duncans i am not sure anymore. And i know alot of you have more knowledge then i do and have played through more pickups then me i have only ever played through the infinitys that came with my 350dx. I am not sure guys i really need your help right now cause i am not sure what to do thanks for your time
Tommy

You can adjust it yourself easily. Go to the Tech section in IbanezRules.com for a complete breakdown of what you need to do.

After you are done adjusting your guitar to your liking, look at Dimarzio pickups. You can also install these very easily. :D
Ironman

thanks but is it worth the risk of doing it myself and chancing me messing it up lol and dimarzios sound good and all but i wanna be me not steve :) lol have you played emgs or seymours ? from the sounds of it i am gonna have to buy a damm new guitar i called my local shops and everything there to much money and no help just that to have seymours bought and put in is gonna cost almost what i payed for the damm guitar and for emgs they would have to make some mods i am almost wondering if it would be easier to go buy a new guitar with better pickups and overall a better guitar from the get go i am confused seriously
Last edited by Ironman on Wed Dec 06, 2006 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zeds.Ded

it might be an idea to get it profesionaly set up by a tech, he will drop the action to your specifications and will get rid of most of the string rattle that you will get by lowering the action loads, if you are dropping it low that is
Ironman

i was messing with it last night and i was in pain just by doing some chord positions that ain't right strings are way to high
al

Maybe try and do both at the same time, find a guitar tech that will install pickups and give it a good proper setup to your specs

it might be a lil cheaper if you do both at the same time, and everything will be done 100% proplerly... once u get a good tech that is!
Ironman

it is gonna cost me about as much as it cost me to buy this guitar to have new pickups in i think i might just buy a new guitar with better pickups now
guyver_dio

Don't be afraid to experiment with your guitar, it's pretty hard to do something to them that's irreversible. Especially with simple adjustments like action height, you can't really go wrong.

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm

If your still not comfortable making the adjustments yourself, when you take it into a professional ask if you can watch him, that way you learn how to do it saving you money down the line (but usually action never needs to be adjusted again).

As for the pick-ups, don't know if your aware but there's shitloads of models dimarzio have brought out that have nothing to do with vai and there are hundreds of artists that use dimarzio and have brought out there own signiture models. I know you were joking though, just couldn't stop myself lol. I havnt tried emg pick-ups myself but I remember there were a few threads on them awhile back that may be of interest to you, try a search you should find heaps of info.

As for putting them in, if your not good with instructions and a soldering iron, probably best to get a pro to.
Ironman

yeah lol and i am very aware dimarzio has a wide array of pickups like seymour duncan does the whole situation seems to be more of a pain in the ass then anything with emgs it would need to be modded so the battery could fit in and then when i would have to replace the battery i would have to take the strings off and then un screw the whole pick guard to get at the battery cavity and for seymour duncans installed and everything would cost 300 or 400 bucks damm thats like only a hundred bucks off of what i payed for the guitar i might just buy a good guitar with sick pickups in it for around 1000 bucks or so sure save the work and agony
al

It's not that expensive or awkward! i can get pups for 70-80 each

and im sure u can wire the emg battery to be accessable from the back of the guitar, but ive no idea when it comes to the emg active pups

It's worth modding up your guitars a bit

i have 5 guitars and i use a 100$ strat as my main guitar i modded the crap outa it... just cause its more $$$ doesnt mean its better

and i even use pickups i found in my friends shed and an old epiphone stock bridge pickup, sounds amazing for some bizzare reason
Ironman

never said the more money the better the guitar but in most cases it is unless you had some serious mods done to a cheapo guitar and 70 or 80 bucks man where you gettin your pickups lol
al

like i said i found em in my friends shed, and the bridge is from my first guitar.. epi sg, i had to cut a hole in the scratch plate to put it in, not fun still has original parts i jus plays and sounds great for some reason

and it sounded like u were implying it :p

http://www.ericsguitars.com/dimarzioprices.html

most dimarzio pickups are actually in the 60 doller mark...
Ironman

not around here there not
Tommy

Follow the setup guide I linked. It's in fact very easy, I promise you won't break anything.
Ironman

Thanks man i took it in the locking trem was missing a spring to i am not impressed at all cause i swear it was sold to me this way to.

thanks for helping out though guys