Ibanez Edge Pro Bridge - Whammy Bar Question

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
Pom-Bear

I dont actually see the point in those washer things even tho they make it tighter

at the end of the day they r hard to find to buy them

they r over priced and really expensive

and they ware out really quickly since if u install them on ur trem bar u wear them out each time u take the trem bar off to put the guitar in its case

in my opinion they are a waste of money, if u want it tighter just wrap something around it or learn to grab the bar quicker when its dangling
GeetarPlayer373

Lastly, if I were to put tape on it, where would I put the tape? And if I were to tighten that screw underneath the "boss" on the bottom of the guitar until the plate, would that tighten the "boss"; thus making the bar fit in snuggly?
guitarman13

I asked Thomas Nordegg about this a few months ago, and he told me that he actually runs a lighter under the nylon washers to deform them a bit, which makes the bar fit tighter in the hole. Or you can try the nail polish trick http://www.jemsite.com/tech/3other.htm#tremarmrot
Tommy

Logic wrote:Mr. Tommy
OR, You don't understand the terminology. The boss is the hole the bar slips into. It is removable. On an engine block any hole with threads that a bolt threads into is also known as a boss. The boss on Mr. GeetarPlayer373 may have been drilled slightly too big. If his bar stays tight in another boss, change the boss. Ibanez doesn't break them down but I am sure the part can be found some where. If this doesn''t clear the matter up I will post a picture.
Makes sense. Sorry man.
GeetarPlayer373

Nice, thanks alot man! :D
Logic

Mr. GeetarPlayer373
What did you end up doing??
Did it work???
Mr. Tommy, It's kewl my brother in guitars. :)
guyver_dio

guitarman13 wrote:I asked Thomas Nordegg about this a few months ago, and he told me that he actually runs a lighter under the nylon washers to deform them a bit, which makes the bar fit tighter in the hole. Or you can try the nail polish trick http://www.jemsite.com/tech/3other.htm#tremarmrot
Just tried the lighter trick and wrecked 2 washers, wouldn't have a clue what he's doing differently.
Logic

You were a little heavy handed dude..
GeetarPlayer373

First off, thank you ibanez for making your washers so DAMN...weird? I lost put trying to pop it off (after about 30 attempts and a bruised thumb), and then the new one would not fit, so I tried squeezing it lightly open with pliers, and of course, it snapped. I then tried the nail polish trick, it worked at first for a sec, but not really. Did it again and several tries after it was too thick, then I got it to work, but I have a feeling this will only be temperary, and will break VERY soon. Is there no REAL way to do it? Like I mean say, Ibanez recommended? I.e. Screwing something in/out to make the hole smaller? Or something like that ... Anyways, theres my up-to-date list of things I've done :D

-Steve
Logic

I think it's best to get the washers hot with hot water before you try to stretch them onto the bar.. Ypour right about there not being an Ibanez™ recomendation for bars being to loose. The slight bend is what I did. works fine.
TongueNGroove

I have a Lo-Pro trem with the washers deal and mine is pretty tight for about a day and then it slides down out of the way. But that's the way I like it.

There realy isn't much you can do as far as the engineering of the trem goes, but you can improvise as stated earlier. Instead of using electrical tape I would use teflon tape though. Wrap that around the bar a few times and slide it in...it should be realy tight.

Btw, for you guys that realy like a tight bar, you should get an edge 3. The bar slips in and tightens up with an alen screw, no more plastic washers to deal with.
guyver_dio

Logic wrote:I think it's best to get the washers hot with hot water before you try to stretch them onto the bar.. Ypour right about there not being an Ibanez™ recomendation for bars being to loose. The slight bend is what I did. works fine.
What did you use to bend the bar, also could this do any damage to the boss over the long term?

Like GeetarPlayer373, I too have tried practically all 'official' methods as well as a few suggested in this thread with no long term success. This one sounds like a more permanent solution but I'm probably gonna get a replacement bar before attempting this as I'd most likely screw it up and bend the bar to a right angle or something lol.
aaron555

I don´t knoe if this will help, but in my edge pro II , I saw that the whamy didn´t get thigt even if I tight the screw on the back it alwas lossen and I toke of the wole sistem to see what hapend en I saw that inn the boss, the hole were the bar goes, there is a little plastic pakage and the screw did a small hole trough this plastic pakage thats why the bar still losen, and wath I did first is switch the position of the plastic but in a few weks the same problem. and the only solution I foun was putin tape arroun the bar. I hope that will help sorry for my english
Logic

Mr.guyver_dio
You don't wanna bend it to much. It only takes a hair of a bend. If you bend it to much it will be to hard to turn to where you want it to stay. If thats the case it would wear out the boss. You can experiment with it. just tweek it alittle and see were you stand. Still too loose? tweek it alittle more.