I will never buy another carvin guitar in my life!

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
axeman31390

I will never buy another carvin guitar in my life!

#1 Post by axeman31390 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:50 pm

Let me introduce my background... At 15 years old I got my first job... after working six months at minimum wage (6.75), being treated like shit, feeding people sandwiches that would probably kill them if they ate there everyday... I finally had enough for a guitar... I got the Carvin free DVD with the factory tour, interviews, etc. advertised on vai.com... Joe Walsh was on there... same with Tony Mac... Steve Vai... I find it hard to believe that Joe Walsh would play this guitar... in fact when I saw him with the Eagles, he didn't even touch it... jsut his les Pauls... anyway...

I spent a good $1,300 on this guitar... waited about 4 months for it to be finished... so my dad helped me arrange a day we could drive down to San Diego (over 500 miles) to pick the guitar up, avoiding shipping dangers, maybe see the factory, and being able to check it out before taking it home...

We got there, I plugged in my guitar, when I noticed something... the middle pickup didn't work... their guitar tech wasn't in and he wouldn't be for 3 days so we had to drive home, wait for him to fix it and then have it shipped (what we wanted to avoid).

It arrived at my house on March 13, my birthday - what a lovely birthday present, right? Actually, I noticed that the intonation was out... I tried to fix it, and failed... I took it to one local guitar teacher... he couldnt get it, and my last and final hope was my old guitar teacher, a guru, one of the most amazing guitarists and maintainence professionals I have ever met. I had bought an EVO pickup for it and decided to have him put it in, and then take a turn adjusting the intonation... he couldn't get it... then the volume nob and pot popped out and the volume wouldnt turn down.

So I have had this guitar for 8 months now and recently got frustrated enough that I almost wanted to throw it, but that's not my style. We sent it back and they promised to have it done right.. well... I got it back today, and guess what? Intonation is just as bad as ever. My dad is in the process of trying to get our money back. I am SO disappointed and find it VERY unbelievable that some of these very respected guitarists would deal with these people and their mediocre instruments...

That is just my experience, and I am sorry for my rambling and taking up so much room, but I am mostly looking for advice on what to do next or people who can relate... thanks for reading everyone...

axeman31390

Big Bad Bill

#2 Post by Big Bad Bill » Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:10 am

That's just awful. I can sympathise with you since I had almost exactly the same problem with a custom built JJ Hucke guitar a few years ago (who now trade as JJ Guitars). It seems the so-called 'luthier' had placed the bridge in the wromg place making any intonation adjustements insufficient to adjust it correctly! He tried to fix it by shaving the length of the neck down (adding some burn marks to the 'guitar' in the process!) but it still didn't solve the problem. In the end, I evoked the 1979 Sales of Good Act (Section B) which says that goods have to be of 'merchantable quality' and this disaster of a guitar wasn't and threatened him with legal action. Eventually he gave me my money back, but not without months of correspondence, irate phone calls, independent luthier inspection reports (which cost me a small fortune) and a lot of worry for me. The incident actually put me off playing guitar for months until I finally (and not without hitches) got an Ibanez J Custom!

You must have a similar consumer protection law in the USA, see if you can't find out what it is and threaten Carvin with it. Speak only to the manager or head people and don't take anything less than a complete refund or a satisfactory replacement (and even a freebie for your inconvenience!). Insist they courier it up to you with the best Couriers and inspect the guitar before signing the receipt and letting the courier go.

Good luck and let us now how it goes.

GregN

Re: I will never buy another carvin guitar in my life!

#3 Post by GregN » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:02 am

axeman31390 wrote:Let me introduce my background... At 15 years old I got my first job... after working six months at minimum wage (6.75)

axeman31390
ha i wish minimum wage here was 6.75, i think its like a whole dollar less here...

anyways, you should be able to get your money back due to some law or what not..just dont leave them alone until oyu get your money back and replace it.

beyondthenotes712

#4 Post by beyondthenotes712 » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:51 am

I'm very sorry to hear that. I am 15 also and worked my butt off all summer to be able to buy a DC145. I hate to say this, but it turned out perfectly and I couldn't be happier with it (there are some pictures in the photo gallery section). If the guitar is in that poor of condition, I would hope that Carvin would be more helpful, but out of the thousands of great guitars they make, it looks like you got the bad one. My condolences and I hope everything works out.

s.j.

Willie

#5 Post by Willie » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:52 am

I'm glad that I decided to not go with Carvin :), but then again, it's possible that it might've been just an unlucky bad one out so many hundred guitars or whatever :)

Like Greg said, keep at them till you get a refund and I hope that it works out great for you :), perhaps it'll be better to get an RG Prestige for your cash, which you'll probably save a bit of green too, for maybe a new amp or something else if you wanted :), but whatever you do, I wish you the very best of luck :)

Willie

NantucketSleighrider

#6 Post by NantucketSleighrider » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:59 am

Big Bad Bill wrote:That's just awful. I can sympathise with you since I had almost exactly the same problem with a custom built JJ Hucke guitar a few years ago (who now trade as JJ Guitars). It seems the so-called 'luthier' had placed the bridge in the wromg place making any intonation adjustements insufficient to adjust it correctly! He tried to fix it by shaving the length of the neck down (adding some burn marks to the 'guitar' in the process!) but it still didn't solve the problem. In the end, I evoked the 1979 Sales of Good Act (Section B) which says that goods have to be of 'merchantable quality' and this disaster of a guitar wasn't and threatened him with legal action. Eventually he gave me my money back, but not without months of correspondence, irate phone calls, independent luthier inspection reports (which cost me a small fortune) and a lot of worry for me. The incident actually put me off playing guitar for months until I finally (and not without hitches) got an Ibanez J Custom!

You must have a similar consumer protection law in the USA, see if you can't find out what it is and threaten Carvin with it. Speak only to the manager or head people and don't take anything less than a complete refund or a satisfactory replacement (and even a freebie for your inconvenience!). Insist they courier it up to you with the best Couriers and inspect the guitar before signing the receipt and letting the courier go.

Good luck and let us now how it goes.
JJ guitars eh BBB! They are always trying to sell me stuff at trade shows, but in all honesty, I just don't like the look of them. Last year at a trade show in Gateshead, the owner of JJ guitars was there (presumably who you had all the trouble with), and he was auctioning off a JJ goldtop with p-90s. I am a sucker for goldtop p-90 guitars, and I asked him what the RRP was. He said £1199. I asked him what the auction was up to, he said £350. Then he said, for £500, I will scrap the auction and you can have it now. Who wants to sell off a supposed a guitar worth more than a grand for £500?!?!?! Anyway, I said no, and bumped into the guy that had bid the £350 at the end of the show, and he told me the owner had packed all of his stuff away and done a runner before he could pay him and collect the guitar!!!
Out of interest BBB, how did you hear about JJ guitars? I know Guitarist gave them a great write up, but just meeting that slimy bloke was enough to put me off every buying one. On the goldtop one I played, the action was massive and the fretboard was scratched to pieces too, at which he said "that can be corrected for you if you win, an then bring it to my factory". Being a geordie, all I had to say was "whyaye!".

Big Bad Bill

#7 Post by Big Bad Bill » Thu Nov 16, 2006 3:11 am

I should say I had problems with JJ Hucke guitars which later became JJ Guitars and I think Jens Jurgen Hucke is now a silent partner in the business and doesn't build their much simple guitars now.

I heard of JJ Hucke through Guitarist UK magazine. At the time, custom guitar builders were a rarity in the UK and I vaguely remember an ad in the back of guitarist for JJ Hucke. So I phoned Guitarist to ask their opinions on JJ Hucke guitars and spoke to Simon Bradley who extolled the virtues of the make and how they were wonderful with a real 'hand-made' feel to them. So he being a guitar journalist, I took his opinion on board and got down to Shipston on Stour and had a look around JJ Hucke's impressive looking workshop. He was the worst person I've ever had to deal with and the display guitars were nice, the ones he supplied were like a 15 year old's school woodwork project! He placed the rem too close to the headstock so it couldn't be intonated, there was blue wood stain in places it shouldn't be, he loaded it with G spaced pick up on an F space trem etc. But he refused to believe there was a problem. He then bodged the repair job! When I threatened him with legal action he finally agreed to make me a new guitar. It arrived with the pick ups out of alignment and the trem recess was askew! Worst of all, the supposed '30 year old rosewood neck' developed as 'S' bend which as you know can't be fixed with a truss rod tweak and requires a lots of work to sort out, after which it could shift again! So more legal-action threats, Hucke searing at me on the phone for being an awkward customer etc etc! I aged about 20 years over that two year period............. before I finally got my money back-minus the luthier reports and courier costs!

Sounds like the current management are equally dodgey from what you say about the 'auction'.

Anyway, it turns out an important person at the Guitarist office used to go out with Hucke's sister! That sheds some light on the way they recommend gear!........enough said!

axeman31390

#8 Post by axeman31390 » Thu Nov 16, 2006 5:45 pm

thanks for the support guys and now at least I know I'm not alone...

Big Bad Bill

#9 Post by Big Bad Bill » Fri Nov 17, 2006 4:57 am

axeman31390 wrote:thanks for the support guys and now at least I know I'm not alone...
And don't let this incident-which I'm sure will be sorted out-spoli your love of Vai's music and playing the guitar! Playing guitar is the best thing you can do with your clothes on...and at my age, the best thing you can do with you clothes off!

eyebnez

#10 Post by eyebnez » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:44 am

Sounds like a lemon for a lot of money. Get your money back and dont give up. I am sure they will try everything to persuade you to keep it.
Everyone gets a lemon sooner or later. I know I have. Just poorly made or manufacturer's oversight.

axeman31390

#11 Post by axeman31390 » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:49 pm

Big Bad Bill wrote:
axeman31390 wrote:thanks for the support guys and now at least I know I'm not alone...
And don't let this incident-which I'm sure will be sorted out-spoli your love of Vai's music and playing the guitar! Playing guitar is the best thing you can do with your clothes on...and at my age, the best thing you can do with you clothes off!
...haha nice BBB... I wont let it spoil my love for vai or guitar at all... just never will consider buying anything from carvin again... thanks for that advice...

Derek

#12 Post by Derek » Wed Nov 29, 2006 7:36 am

Sorry to hear about those troubles, that sounds absolutely awful! I had a Carvin guitar that I bought in 1993 that was my main guitar for about 10 years. The quality was unbelievable, the guitar held up through some seriously rough gigs and rehearsal conditions and came out amazing. It ended up being traded off to a friend who loves it and has it as his main guitar now, neither one of us can believe how well it has held up. I'm not a Carvin rep or anything even remotely close to that, but if you can find somebody that has a Carvin guitar that will let you try it out, I think you will find that your situation was a serious anomaly and waaaaaaaaay out of the norm for a company that really has a good reputation for quality and service. Bang for the buck, you just can't beat the value of a Carvin. There are tons of other quality guitars available that you can purchase, but the price differential is tremendous. If you choose to get a different brand of guitar, you're going to have to pay considerably more for comparable quality.

Mr. Bluesman

#13 Post by Mr. Bluesman » Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:35 pm

The thing that you're missing is that Carvin or any other company wouldn't do that to any respected artist, especially the ones they endorse. They're all nice and good to them, make great stuff for them and just like usually, don't give a flying f*ck about mortals like you and me. :?

(Sorry for the language, but it's 100% true.)

And it isn't my intention to spit on certain companies, I'm talking in general.

axeman31390

#14 Post by axeman31390 » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:34 pm

So everyone knows...

I have decided to get my money back any means possible... I have it signed by satch, so that has to raise the value... but I'm going with a Jem for my next guitar... I have never played a bad Jem... thanks everyone!

axeman31390

Mr. Bluesman

#15 Post by Mr. Bluesman » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:27 am

axeman31390 wrote:I have it signed by satch, so that has to raise the value...
Screw-up!

Do you really think they will give you back any money (let alone more money) for a guitar with ink marks on it, as a refund?

BTW Signatures don't raise much value... IMHO Shouldn't raise value at all.