Floyding a Strat

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
Jay3

Hey, I've recently been to a Pawn Shop and found myself an old strat, in Incredible condition, not a nick on it. I played it, felt right. Plugged it in, sounded good. I'd love to pick this up, and just wondering, how much do you think it'd cost to install a Floyd Rose?
bancika

I'd recommend you to install wilkinson two point tremolo...it's very well built, whole steel, locking sadles...and easier to install. No need for routing guitar and neck. It's major pain to install locking nut on existing neck. For wilkinson you'll just need to drill two holes for studs exactly on place where outer two (of six) screws that hold old tremolo. Then get nice locking tuners (schaller, planet waves or spretzel) and you'll get tremolo that will stay in tune for less than 150$ and you can do the whole job yourself, provided you have a drill.
Just my 2c
al

id recomend getting a locking type trem too, its just a lot easier and kinda handier

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,_ta ... molos.html

check that site out

id defintly get em for my strat but theres no leftie :(
Tommy

Like Bancika said, a very easy installation would be a Wilkinson, a graphtech nut, and some locking tuners. It would hold tune as well as a Floyd for probably cheaper.

Also, you can get Wilkinson bridges for cheap at GuitarFetish.com I'm pretty sure.
BSBoy

Do a proper job & get a Lo Pro Edge installed 8)

Check out my Strat...

It's actually a Levinson Blade RH4-Classic :)
RAR!

Tommy wrote:Like Bancika said, a very easy installation would be a Wilkinson, a graphtech nut, and some locking tuners. It would hold tune as well as a Floyd for probably cheaper.

Not really.

It will do fine for subtle warbles, but if your going to whammy, you need a quality floyd rose.
jemgirl

BSBoy wrote:Do a proper job & get a Lo Pro Edge installed 8)

Check out my Strat...

thats.......a beauty!!!!!!
is it a blade?
its awsome!!!!
i like that top finish.

GregN

Check out my Strat...

Now THAT is a beautiful guitar. :D
jam-man

@BS Boy: Something you can feast your eyes on! BEAUUUUUTIFUUUUL!!!
Mr. Wiggles

Why have someone do it for you and charge you a lotta money when you can just do it yourself? You don't have to get a non licensed original floyd unless your planning on making it floating and in that case I would suggest an Edge instead.

Here's a link to a guy that put a floyd on his OLP MM1(a very popular conversion for EVH fans).
http://www.eddievanhalen.com/evh/index. ... 89&start=0

Good luck.
Jay3

I appreciate the help guys :D . By the way BSBoy, MAN that's a fucking nice guitar. :wink:
Lucky

Check out my Strat...

Nice BSBoy! Hmmm I see an extra switch. Is that a coil cut for the humbuckers? Otherwise, it looks like you're approaching green meanie territory there... :wink: 8)
BSBoy

Lucky wrote:

Check out my Strat...

Thanks for the comments :)

The switch is for the active boost system...Levinson's own VSC (Variable Spectrum Control).

Nice BSBoy! Hmmm I see an extra switch. Is that a coil cut for the humbuckers? Otherwise, it looks like you're approaching green meanie territory there... :wink: 8)

Thanks for the comments :)

The switch is for the active boost system...Levinson's own VSC (Variable Spectrum Control).

The tone control is a push/pull...so that operates the coil split. :)
Splish

That is a very beautiful guitar :)

Splish
Benjammin105

A strat with a locking tremolo huh. That just may be the most perfect creation that I've ever seen.