Floral Jem fake or not??

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
SPQR

Hey guys is this jem 77fp a fake i got it off an auction site on the net and well some of my friends have told me that its a fake but is it and how can i see that it is?

Thanks guys

heres the link below

GregN

you are going to need to post a clearer picture.

and you should probably post a lot more its impossible to tell by that picture

get clear ones of the neck, headstock, serial number, back of body...ect.
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

Take a clearer shot of the body, making sure you can clearly see the monkey grip, and trem routing. It should have a lion's claw trem cavity.

Also, how much did you pay for it on Ebay? If the deal seemed too good to be true, it probably was.

Mikey
vai.com
Jeroen
Site Admin
Site Admin

My guess is that it's a fake. The pickguard from your other Ibby should be compatible, while it clearly is not. Also, the headstock doesn't look right. Trem seems too short with angled routing - should be pretty much straight. Doesn't look like it has scalloped frets (21-24) either. Looks like it has some sort of AANJ, the florals never had those. Also, the space between the volume and tone knob is diffrent than your RG - which should be equal. Lastly, looks like chrome colored pole pieces in your pickups...should be black I think.

Hth,
J
RAR!

LOL, if it doesn't play as good as the RG. . its a fake.
RAI

Also, if you look closely, you should be able to see the threads of the fabric. Unless of course, someone made a fake using the same fabric as the original......

:)
GregN

o and how does it play? if it is fake im curious to how they feel.
EyE

It's a fake. The pickguard isn't right and the trem is odd just like the tremcavity. And the Flower print 'doesn't seems right.
jam-man

It looks fake enough to me!
b2

Impossible for me to judge from that picture.
Take some better pictures and post also at
www.jemsite.com

There are some numbers like the serial number back of the head,
and on the metal plate at the neck joint.
Also if you remove the neck there use to be a number
printet at the guitar where the neck is attached.
But I dont know how to read these numbers, have to ask here
or at www.jemsite.com

Also you could bring the guitar to a serious guitar shop where there
maybe is an "Ibanez Jem expert".

You should check the hardware, are those pickups real Dimarzio
PAF PRO pickups? And the tremelo?
Better pictures or ask an expert.
calos

The body looks too thin top to bottom, the patten looks off, the tone and volume knobs are too close together, the trem doesn't look right in the cavity and the arm is too short for a edge lastley the head stock shape seems a little off too.

I'd say it wasn't real based on that pic, might be worth taking a few better pics :(

peace
cal
SPQR

Mikey wrote:Take a clearer shot of the body, making sure you can clearly see the monkey grip, and trem routing. It should have a lion's claw trem cavity.

Also, how much did you pay for it on Ebay? If the deal seemed too good to be true, it probably was.

Mikey
vai.com
Hey thanks man this guitar actually aint mine its a guy i know he had paid 1,800 pounds sterling for it.
GregN

fortheloveofgod wrote:
Mikey wrote:Take a clearer shot of the body, making sure you can clearly see the monkey grip, and trem routing. It should have a lion's claw trem cavity.

Mikey
vai.com
Hey thanks man this guitar actually aint mine its a guy i know he had paid 1,800 pounds sterling for it.

Ouch...well at least it doesnt belong to you....

and still how does it play :?: im very curious

and is a floral pattern Jem even worth that much? Thats like...$3400
calos

They seem to sell for around £750-£1800, depending on condition in the UK, I've owned one for 12 years, wich is why I looked at this one one and felt it looked wrong, I suppose I could only know for sure by seeing it first hand, or seeing clearer pictures.

peace
cal
Mikey
Ex-admin
Ex-admin

I am fairly sure it's a fake, but the picture is such poor quality, I wouldn't want to say for sure.

Mikey
vai.com