Jackson vs. Ibanez

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
GeetarPlayer373

How does Jackson compare to Ibanez's higher models? I know Jackson is owned my Fender, so I'm not sure if that a good or bad thing, anyways ... has anyone played the two and noticed one is better then the other? I've heard Jackson being very good, but also very over rated. How about your guys' opinions?
Logic

Totally a opinion deal.
Preference city there.
I do prefer my Ibanez over the Jacksons in the same price range.
Jacksons are to demosterative in apearance for me.
Igor

them being owned by fender means nothing.

just like ESP owns Schechter, yet they are COMPLETELY diferent companies

and.. it's totaly a person to person thing.
some prefer one, some the other

i for one wouldnt be seen alive with an ibanez made later than '86.

preferably an '82 destroyerII or rocket rollII, or the alex skolnick model, which i always forget the model number.. P540 ??? II ?? lol

this being the one \m/ 540P II
RAR!

Igor wrote:i for one wouldnt be seen alive with an ibanez made later than '86.
:?:

Seems extremely irrational to me.
Dan McAwesome

Seems damn near IMPOSSIBLE to me, I had a hard enough time finding an 87' RG!

- Dan
gtrdr

Igor wrote:
i for one wouldnt be seen alive with an ibanez made later than '86.
Did you mean "before '86"?

If so, I can at least see some logic in that statement....'87 being almost the 'rebirth' of Ibanez as a rock guitar maker with the introduction of Jems, RGs etc. But, as long as you were careful to avoid those potmetal Pro Rocker trems (I think that was the truly naff one...wasn't it?), there were so many excellent instruments produced prior to '87 as well!!!

Steve.
Igor

RAR! wrote:
Igor wrote:i for one wouldnt be seen alive with an ibanez made later than '86.
:?:

Seems extremely irrational to me.
why so?

have you ever played an early 80's ibbie?
the quality of the instrument is like comparing a custom shop instrument, to todays ibanez guitars.

in short, I think they suck.

and yes. finding a 540 PII is.. quite near impossible... unless you're paul gilbert... then you have like 50 of em

destroyerIIs have come up a whole lot lately. seems like more people are finding out that the 80's is where ibanez was HUGE. today, they're making toys
jam-man

I like them both actually! I own a Jackson Dk2FS Dinky Firestorm and it's one mighty fine guitar! I wouldn't change it for almost anything (except for JS or JEM maybe :wink: ) I can play almost anything on it from blues to hevy metal and stuff like FTLOG sounds really good too, clean is very nice also! I played my friend's Ibanez RG 270 or something and I didn't like it as much as I liked this Jackson. Anyway, with some new pick-ups it'll be a real beast! :twisted:
Oh, did I mention that it has a built-in booster whitch gives you 20dB's more!

Try a lot of guitars and THEN pick one that really suits you!

Rock on :guitar
Dan McAwesome

Igor wrote: seems like more people are finding out that the 80's is where ibanez was HUGE. today, they're making toys
I totally disagree, I have found nothing but quality in todays Ibanez guitars, and they're definetly not "toys" as you put it, I have tried the 80's version and todays version, and the only real negligeble difference is the tremelo, which I find easier to use than the older style of tremelo's, seeing as the old style required something to hold up the tremelo so you could losen the bolts and be able to change the strings.

I don't think Ibanez intentionally changed the way they make their guitars for the worse (as you seem to think they have turned towards), I personally see you as being very anal about guitars, and thats not to good, the 80's were THEN, this is NOW...

- Dan
gtrdr

Igor wrote:
have you ever played an early 80's ibbie?
the quality of the instrument is like comparing a custom shop instrument, to todays ibanez guitars.

in short, I think they suck.
If you're comparing those classic Ibanez guitars to the majority of the recent Korean production guitars then I'd agree wholeheartedly. But I think that it's fair to say that current Japanese instruments (from '87 on) are equal to the standards acheived pre-'87. I have a couple of early 80's Ibanez guitars amongst my collection and yes, they are great guitars...but not greater than the more recent guitars that I own.

Obviously a lot of this can boil down to personal taste too so there's good reason to be cautious about sweeping statements, right? Thankfully we do all like slightly different things in our guitars.....wouldn't life be dull if we all liked Jem7vwh's ONLY?!

Rock on!

Steve.
GeetarPlayer373

Ok, let me rephrase then, if you could choose any Ibanez or any Jackson, which would it be? You don't need to get into serial codes/numbers and models, just state some reasons (playability, size, weight, etc) and briefly explain why. Also, don't pick one because its worth more on the rack then the other :P Thanks guys
Dan McAwesome

Well, I personally would NOT choose a Jackson for myself, as I have played a few and they are not my style of playing.

So saying that, I would choose the RG350DX (white RG) for its playability (neck is quite fast), the size feels about right, its body is a bit bigger than the JEM7v, the only real downside, is that it weights a hell of alot...

- Dan
gtrdr

GeetarPlayer373 wrote:Ok, let me rephrase then, if you could choose any Ibanez or any Jackson, which would it be? You don't need to get into serial codes/numbers and models, just state some reasons (playability, size, weight, etc) and briefly explain why. Also, don't pick one because its worth more on the rack then the other :P Thanks guys
Ok...with those criteria.....

I'd choose a late 80's RG550 over any Jackson that I have played. The reason: simple.....it's the most comfortable neck ever produced....for me and my preferences in feel etc. The fact that there is also the best floyd ever made in the Edge and some of the most versatile switching etc included into the deal...well, I'm sold!!!

When I bought my '87 550DY (in '87!) I had gone out intending to buy a Hamer or a Jackson or a Kramer or a Charvel or even a Jem. That funky lil' 550 smoked 'em all for playability for me AND cost less than a third of the price of most of the other guitars I'd tried out!

I still have that 550 and I'd sell each & every one of my other guitars before that one! It should never be about the price tag....just about the guitar....

Steve.
gtrdr

Igor wrote: i for one wouldnt be seen alive with an ibanez made later than '86.

preferably an '82 destroyerII or rocket rollII, or the alex skolnick model, which i always forget the model number.. P540 ??? II ?? lol

this being the one \m/ 540P II
When were the 540PIIs around? Wasn't it '88 or '89?

Most certainly after '86, right?!

:P :wink:
Igor

GeetarPlayer373 wrote:Ok, let me rephrase then, if you could choose any Ibanez or any Jackson, which would it be? You don't need to get into serial codes/numbers and models, just state some reasons (playability, size, weight, etc) and briefly explain why. Also, don't pick one because its worth more on the rack then the other :P Thanks guys
custom. they dont make what i want :D

weight is not an issue with me, as long as it isnt a boat anchor, or a feather.
pickup setup is most important to me, as is the fingerboard material and frets.

closest would be a charvel predator with a maple fretboard, no inlays, matching headstock in pearl white and a slanted fingerboard extention.

to others.. stop being so anal. i loathe new ibanez guitars (though there are some very good ones in the bunch i must admit) and it will stay that way.