Kahler vs Floyd Rose

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.

Which one would you prefer?

Poll ended at Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:05 am

Ibanez lys. Floyd Rose bridges
21%
21%
21%
21%
Kahler type bridges
4%
Kahler type bridges
4%
Kahler type bridges
4%
Kahler type bridges
4%

Total votes: 84
nienturi

According to your experiences, which one would you pick up?

I know that lo pro edges and edges (for ibanez) are good. But even they go out of tune more easyly than kahlers'.

I have plans to get my own guitar built. So, i must decide well. Now, my decision is edge7 or lo pro edge7 (mostly lo pro edge7)

But i want my guitar has a tremolo unit, floating type. Moreover i want it to be in tune well, especially on bending... Shortly i need experinces, dudes...
j.arledge

if your guitar does not have a tremelo and you want to put one on it the kahler would be easier to have put on because of the way it works . I have never used a kahler before so i dont know much about them other then that .

i do know that the lo-pro 7s are good tremelos .
calos

It's very much personal prefference, I'd say try a few guitars with both for a good 20 mins each and form an opinion from that.

personaly I think the best floating trem for feel, stability and outright wammy madness, the Ibanez range are _the_ best.

peace
cal
slash89

Floyd Rose for me. It just feels better.
Ant711UK

Floyds are the better option. Kahler's can kill the sustain on certain guitars especially Les pauls.

Kahlers have a smoother response and are perfect for light vibrato while using chords etc. They sound OK for rock whammy bar stuff but the feel is different to a Floyd as the mechanism is housed inside a block of metal. Floyds feel slightly harder and allow a more aggresive style to sound the way it should because you're pulling at the back of the guitar in effect.

Either type should stay in tune if the guitar is setup correctly, but they will go out of tune when you bend. It's especially noticable while fretting the string above at the same time as bending the one below. You have to compensate by changing your technique to keep the thing in tune.

Personally I think the original Edge is the best trem out there.

Get some more opinions and maybe go to shop and try both out before you have the guitar made.

Tony
Logic

Mr. nienturi
I would have to take exception to the supposition that the Edge series trems go out of tune more than a original Floyd Rose or the Kahler's.
It's in the setup. I even don't even have an Edge. I have the 1LT1 style Ibanez trem and it never goes out of tune. At all. I have it so dialed in I can put strings on it, tune it up, lock it down and that's it until the next string change. This can't be improved upon. The trem on my guitar is three years old and very used. Keep'em tight and lubed up and the serve you very well.
Anyway, I must agree with Mr. calos, The trem that feels best to you. I beleive that both those trems are good deals.
slash89

Ant711UK wrote:Floyds are the better option. Kahler's can kill the sustain on certain guitars especially Les pauls.

Kahlers have a smoother response and are perfect for light vibrato while using chords etc. They sound OK for rock whammy bar stuff but the feel is different to a Floyd as the mechanism is housed inside a block of metal. Floyds feel slightly harder and allow a more aggresive style to sound the way it should because you're pulling at the back of the guitar in effect.

Either type should stay in tune if the guitar is setup correctly, but they will go out of tune when you bend. It's especially noticable while fretting the string above at the same time as bending the one below. You have to compensate by changing your technique to keep the thing in tune.

Personally I think the original Edge is the best trem out there.

Get some more opinions and maybe go to shop and try both out before you have the guitar made.

Tony
I agree about the Edge :wink:
nienturi

I thank you all for your kind comments and precious care.

I'd really like to give a try all trems one by one. But unfortunately, there is no opportunity for that in my city. So that im trying to utalize and keep the thoughts from the experienced people.

For me, I tried lo pro edge and edge they were very good to me. Especially lo pro edge. But sometimes i hear sometimes, that Kahlers are good in keeping guitar in tune. Thats why i wonder.

Thanks again,
Logic

Building a guitar useing a blank body they sell at the luthiers supply are setup or routed for the Floyd Rose or Kahler already. Shaller's?? or whatever. The Edge might be a little harder to install. I agree it would be worth it. Is the guitar to be built from a pre routed blank?? Or are you gonna cut a tree down? :)
bluesbreaker

I guess it depends on how you wanna use your whammy. If you are after an aggressive approach like Vai and co., then Floyd.

If you like to use it smoothly like on a standard whammy but with the benefit of raising the pitch, then go with Kahler.

My Carvin DC200 has Kahler on her, and it suits me perfectly, 'cause I am not a fan of whammy pyrotechnics. Besides, for me it's also easier to deal with than the Floyds.

My 2 cents.
RAR!

I absolutely hate Kahlers.

Never again will I deal with a kahler equipped guitar, its simply not worth it.

PITA to keep in-tune. Those above-the-nut locks were personally distributed by the devil himself in order to drive guitarists crazy.

Edge/OFR or hardtail for me.
bluesbreaker

RAR! wrote:I absolutely hate Kahlers.

Never again will I deal with a kahler equipped guitar, its simply not worth it.

PITA to keep in-tune. Those above-the-nut locks were personally distributed by the devil himself in order to drive guitarists crazy.

Edge/OFR or hardtail for me.
I know it's personal, but I am just curious:
Did you use an old one or new one?
I am also wondering if there's any difference in quality between the new Kahler trems and the old ones.
RAR!

Old ones.

I dont have any experience with the new ones. But. . I know they still use that damned behind-the-nut string lock thing. *shakes fist*

I've only found one Kahler that was (still) in decent quality. (top mount Kahler) It was cool, but the tremolo effect is very smooth and round. Its hard to get that really agressive freaky sounds out of it, like a floyd or vintage tremolo make.

Its like a Bigsby with greater range. (kinda, its got that "rolling" feeling)

Kahler has made some floyd copies, which are pretty good tremolos. Enjoy looking for replacement parts though. ;) For some reason, they had floyd-like locking nuts on those model guitars, unlike their other models which had the dreaded afore-mentioned post-nut locks.
bluesbreaker

I see.
My experience with Kahler is very limited, since I have never seen any other guitar with one with my own eyes except mine, which is a Carvin DC200 made in circa 1984-85. So the Kahler on her is old as well. It's very sturdy, so I guess you had bad luck with them, or I just came across with a good one. :P
I guess it's unfair to compare Kahler and Bigsby, since the latter's range is pretty narrow and too smooth, but I agree Kahler is not for wild stuff, at least mine isn't. It's like a standard fender trem with a little bit of range and ability to raise the pitch. Perfect for me since I use the bar as a phrasing and embellishment tool. I simply don't care about the set up of the locking nut, though.
Do you know about Wilkimson trems? How do they sound comparing with the stadard ones?
EyE

On my 2 Ibanez I have a Lo Pro and a Edge which work great. And on my BC Rich I have a Kahler 2700. If you don't do any divebombs or other wild stuff (there was a periode in my life where things could get ruff :) ) it stays in tune. But when you do some wild stuff it doesn't do the stuff it should do. The problems I had with a Kahler bridge are the saddles. They either cut the strings or your strings go out of tune. Go for the Lo Pro's or Edge's. :wink: