Pick-up Selector problem

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
Eutow

I play a Jackson Dinky DXMG (japan made....... eww).

Anyway, I'm starting to have a problem with my pick-up selector. Everytime I switch to my treble(bridge) pick-up, it has this sort of trouble staying on it, and sometimes cuts out completely, if not, most of the potency randomly cuts in and out of the pick-up.

I think its an electrical malfunction of my pick-up, and I was wondering if I should probably send it back to Jackson;I have a one year warranty on this guitar).

What I am asking really is how could this problem occur and how would I be able to fix it.
RAR!

The Cheapo switch is dying.

I got the same problem in three of my RGs.

Just take it to a local shop and toss down a couple bucks to have them replace it.
The Wolf

it may only need cleaning , that happened to my gretsch and a little air blowing out dust fixed it right up
Logic

Mr. RAR! has the solution, with one exception.
Do it yourself. Go to the local Radio Shack™ and get you a soldering iron and the 60/40 lead tin solder that is real thin and slam that puppy in yourself. you can do it. Read up alittle and go for it.
jemgirl

Logic wrote:Mr. RAR! has the solution, with one exception.
Do it yourself. Go to the local Radio Shack™ and get you a soldering iron and the 60/40 lead tin solder that is real thin and slam that puppy in yourself. you can do it. Read up alittle and go for it.
soo true logic!!
you can swap it in youreself in a minute!! :wink:
RAR!

Yup, thats where I bought my soldering irons. :)

I do reccommend you research soldering and guitar electronics, they're actually very simple and easy to understand electronics. I might just have the switch replaced this time, just so you can play your guitar right away, but still. . get some books like "The Player's Guide to Guitar Maintenence" by Dave Burrluck. Its a very good book that told me everything I needed to know about guitar electronics.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/087930 ... oding=UTF8

Thats the book. GET IT. . .I love that book. Not only that, but it discusses Tremolos, setups, all the technical aspects of the guitar in great detail. Loads of valuable information without alot of blubber.

Now, I dont even need to look up schematics to work on my guitars, I already know what I have to do to get the desired result. I can create my own custom schematics, for my own custom wiring ideas. It doesnt just show you blindly what to do in certain situations, it tells you the WHY behind what your doing, it explains how switches work, the different kinds of switches, why volume pots and tone pots work, how to make a pot a volume pot and how to make one a tone pot, all that good info, so you can change things to your liking and wire up things the way YOU want.
Eutow

sweet.

thanks a bunch guys.