Luthiers on Vai.com?

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
Iron Priest
Newcomer

Hi all, I just joined up here and I was wondering if there are any other luthiers here on Vai.com. I've been building for about a year or so, and I am horribly (not in a bad way) addicted. I'm curious to see who all has fallen for this hobby/ profession...

Thanks!
Emerald
Newcomer

Hey Iron Priest
I caught this same bug about 8 years ago and have never felt well since.
Seriously though being a Luthier is the most rewarding job I can imagine. It gives me the perfect platform to fuse my passion for guitars with my creative and artistic talents and has allowed me to work with my heroes.
It is a tough business competing in a global market against companies with decades of experience and huge marketing budgets but the thrill of hearing a great artist making your guitars sound better than you ever could have imagined makes the difficulties soon melt away.
Good luck with your new career and check out what I have been up to in the last 8 years on www.emeraldguitars.com
Iron Priest
Newcomer

Jesus... It's going to be some time before I'm able to build something like that. I knew I'd seen those guitars somewhere before, but I never got around to checking out the site. I'm truly amazed!!! What's the tone like? I've always been skeptical of carbon fiber or composite bodies and necks, thinking that they'd be waaaaaaay too bright or sterile. Can you enlighten me?

Hell, if I had the cash, I'd be sending in the custom shop order forms right now... Beautiful work man.
ppvai

wow!! have you ever think in make electric guitars?
that would be great! :wink:
beyondthenotes712

Iron Priest wrote:Jesus... It's going to be some time before I'm able to build something like that. I knew I'd seen those guitars somewhere before, but I never got around to checking out the site. I'm truly amazed!!! What's the tone like? I've always been skeptical of carbon fiber or composite bodies and necks, thinking that they'd be waaaaaaay too bright or sterile. Can you enlighten me?

Hell, if I had the cash, I'd be sending in the custom shop order forms right now... Beautiful work man.
I'd be interested to know that too. I'm a big fan of your work and am seriously thinking about buying one of your seven-string guitars. I don't know, I guess I'm a sort of purist and kind of cringe whenever a guitar isn't made out of wood... but, I am very interested in the uniqueness of your construction. Are there any sound clips I could hear?

s.j.
Iron Priest
Newcomer

ppvai wrote:wow!! have you ever think in make electric guitars?
that would be great! :wink:
He does. Go to the custom shop page and look there. There are some insane electrics...
j.arledge

i dabbled in some minor repair work and in making pedals . I think that is what i am going to do this summer is start building pedals , i think i may take on building my own amp too .

there are a few very very talented builders on these forums and there are plenty of knowledgable members , hope you enjoy it .
Emerald
Newcomer

You might well think that Carbon fibre couldnt create a great sounding instrument but this is a myth.
Basically a good sounding instrument is down to how the wood in that instrument vibrates. different types of wood have different stiffnesses and densities giving different tones and couple this with bracing and you can create good or bad sounding guitars.
With carbon fibre we can achieve the same thing. We blend together layers of carbon and other materials to achieve a specific stiffness and density and we use different materials in various areas to modify the vibrational patterns. This allows us huge flexibilty because we can use many different combinations to create many possible tonal properties.
When someone says they dont like the sound of Carbon say Bullshit becuse carbon doesnt have a specific sound it is all down to construction as it is with wood. We can achieve very mellow dull sounds or bright and clinical or anything in between. The trick is understanding the materials and their relationship with each other to create a specific tone for a specific requirement and unfortunately there are no books on the sonic characteristics of carbon.
Building guitars is a hugely rewarding business and their is nothing like the anticipation of hearing that first note and playing the first cord as you tune up the guitar for the very first time. I have done this hundreds of times now but still get a tingle up my spine.
Jai0705

Oh yea I'm into it. I haven't built from scratch yet but I'm heavy into refinishing. I've become specialized in material finishes, it is very addicting. :)
bancika

my father builds/repairs guitars. There is a thread with pictures of guitars he made from me more than a year ago. I worked on it too, but he does the main work
Cheers
another virtuoso

im just recently getting into it. doing my first guitar right now. its been a whole lot of fun so far and i cant wait to finish it so i can start up a new one
patrick

Guitarbuilding?
it's the most beautifull job in the world.
Patrick
jemgirl

yeah,and you are the best here in holland!!!!
patrick

:D Thanks Patty!!!
jemgirl

youre most welcome!
you made me extremely happy with the customizing of both axes.