CUSTOM GUITAR

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
mrfastfingers

Hi fellow shredder =)
I'd like to know ur opinions on mahogany used to build a solid body intended for rock - hard rock - metal. I cnt decide wether to use that or alder. Im peruvian by the way,mahogany is easily obtained here in Peru so dun worry bout dat.

Other specs of the guitar:
Maple/ Rosewood neck
DiMarzio Tone Zone/Air Norton (bridge/neck pups)
Gotoh Floyd Rose
I guess those r the main specs....if u need more info lemme noe.
Thnx
Mr. Bluesman

Comparing to mahogany, alder has less mids. I'd go for mahogany + maple top (thin enough to make it just estetical) myself.

Guitars like most Stratocasters, Telecaster etc. are made out of alder - therefore, most people like them for clean and crunch sounds. So do I. Guitars like SG's, Les Paul's etc. are made out of mahogany. (Les Paul has a maple top)That's why they have such a nice bright sound with a reasonable ammount of mids.

I like a quite big ammount of mids, (on lead sounds) so I'd start from the guitar - mahogany body. If you add a maple top, it'll brighten it up a bit.

I'd rather have a middy sound on both clean and distorted sounds than a scooped sound on leads.
Big Bad Bill

mrfastfingers wrote:Hi fellow shredder =)
I'd like to know ur opinions on mahogany used to build a solid body intended for rock - hard rock - metal. I cnt decide wether to use that or alder. Im peruvian by the way,mahogany is easily obtained here in Peru so dun worry bout dat.

Other specs of the guitar:
Maple/ Rosewood neck
DiMarzio Tone Zone/Air Norton (bridge/neck pups)
Gotoh Floyd Rose
I guess those r the main specs....if u need more info lemme noe.
Thnx
Sounds like a fairly standard spec for a rock guitar and it should do the job. I'd suggest Schaller trems though-German steel and engineering is just superb!

Make sure the rosewood is well seasoned-I had a rosewood neck on a custom guitar and it warped to unusability but that is probably unusual-it looked great though! Mahogany is good and people like Ibanez use laminates (maple bubinga) for extra stiffness.

I find the Air Norton a bit tame (neck position) for metal-is there a hotter version?