Small Trem Arm Problem

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
guyver_dio

I've recently ran into a problem with my jem 7VWH. I've found the tremolo arm runs into the pick-up switch when the switch is in mid position. The trem is sitting perfectly level and no adjustments have been made since i've purchased it. How the hell do you adjust the arm to sit higher????

thanks

p.s if you need pictures of the problem, just ask
al

adjust the position of the actual trem, u can higher the whole trem or even just the "high e" side

or change the angle of thre trem

or if worst comes to worst bend the actual bar a bit,

change the pickupswitch

or just avoid the pickup selector

:D
fyrie

guyver_dio wrote:I've recently ran into a problem with my jem 7VWH. I've found the tremolo arm runs into the pick-up switch when the switch is in mid position. The trem is sitting perfectly level and no adjustments have been made since i've purchased it. How the hell do you adjust the arm to sit higher????

thanks

p.s if you need pictures of the problem, just ask
Your trem is most likely not level, even tho it appears to be. I have had this happen. Try screwing the spring claw screws in a quarter turn and retune until the bridge is stable. If it is still hitt, repeat the process.
Ant711UK

Don't try and bend the bar too much because they break, I've had that happen to me!!

Try a different bar or even a different switch tip. If it's only just touching it and the setup plays OK, I'd live with it.

Tony
guyver_dio

I've messed around with it, and fine it just clears the switch if the trem is tilted back a bit further. But only just!!!!!, Should the trem arm be as low as this, is this normal for a jem 7VWH and other jems with the same trem??

Maybe i'm just so used to my floyd rose on my RG, which the trem arm clears the switch by like 1.5 inches.
Logic

Can you post some pictures of the trem from different angles If you can we can give you the correct advice. Raising or lowering the trem will mess up the action of the guitar. So get some pics posted.. Please..
Ant711UK

I've had Evo in my hand last year and noticed the bar on that guitar only just clears the switch and I think Thomas Nordegg knows what he's doing. So yes it's normal as long as the rest of the setup plays OK. In the end it's down to personal taste so just adjust it to your playing style.

Tony
fyrie

It's totally normal. Especially if you have low action. I usually use the bit of the knife edge that sticks through the side of the edge body (the small rectangle thingy). It looked level when I had the problem. After adusting the screws slightly as described above, it still looked level. All is good :)