To buy off ebay or not to buy.....that is the question

For discussion of Ibanez, other guitars, and general guitar topics.
sweeps

do you guys think its worth it to buy a guitar off ebay or save up and buy it brand new?
mental speedin

no because :
you don't really know what your gettin, u onyl see a picture n where is the real proof.
There could be somethin horribly wrong with the pick-ups n u would never know until u got it.
There is no guarantee that the person will send it, they might say that they have and have taken ur money, but it might never arrive.

I have had troubles with ebay before and the internet in general. Stick to your local guitar shops. They can even order guitars in for you n u only pay when it is in your hands.

Dave
Logic

Mr. mental speedin has a point, although He also has a real broad brush. For the most part buyin a guitar off of E-Bay is a very scary prospect. But if you are careful and don't get sucked in by a "Too good to be true" type of deal and do your homework, I think you can get away with it. By homework I mean that the guy has some good recent feedback and alots good pictures and he also sounds good and honest about what they are selling desciption wize. And if they are close by that would also be a hugh plus. I bought an amp off E-Bay and it tuned out to be a real good deal! It was a nail biter though.
Ant711UK

I've bought almost all the gear I have from ebay, including some pretty nice guitars.

If you're sensible about it and do your homework on the person you are buying from then you shouldn't have a problem. Just be very careful!

Tony
sweeps

yeah i like buyin guitars off ebay. its heaps cheaper and u get more of an "individual instrument" i dont eva feel the need to try out a guitar coz out of the guitar shop it isnt set up the way i like it 99 percent of the time so y not save a bunch then get it set up and bobs your uncle!
vaiisagoodguitarplayer

I hate ebay...
dreamer

Be careful..there are so many faked items there-and not always it is written, besides it's just hard to valuate the condition of the chosen item...so, what I got - a total trash and waste of money...since then I'm not for ebay-it just don't works for me..may be just a bad experience...but you must be ready to take all the risk on you

Best wishes :)
the_west_pig

Do not buy from ANYONE in China (Not generalising, its just i havent seen ONE honest looking/literate seller, they're pretty much all the same persons several accounts.)

I bought my Jackson from ebay and it was fine and cheap and promptly delivered. Usually i'm skeptical but if you look closely at the language they use you can usually tell if their honest sellers. For instance, when i got the jackson i couldnt belive the price for the finish i was getting so i was unsure, but the guy said he was selling it because he had decided he preferred les pauls, and that it felt too much like his old RG and he didnt like the feel of it. This is a very specific language and would take extended knowledge of the types of guitars an ordinary conner wouldnt bother to include, aswell as the guitars background and where he got it from. As long as your experianced with ebay AND you know the item is what you want, then go for it.

Also, if you havent tried one out before, make sure you have someone to sell it onto.
NantucketSleighrider

I have used eBay for a long time. Having bought guitars, amps, effects and various other guitar related products, I can say I have never had any trouble whatsoever.

The key rule to eBay:

COMMON SENSE!

Dont jump into things, READ LISTINGS MORE THAN ONCE, and if unsure about anything, ASK QUESTIONS! Buyers like answering questions, it shows them that people are interested in their item.

I have bought some pretty high end gear from eBay, and have exchanged thousands of pounds at a time using Paypal.

Paypal are a really helpful bunch of people, and will see that you have an easy ride using eBay.

The one incident that I had, was when I was selling an amp (a Vox AC30), and the buyer asked if I could send it to his local pub instead of his house. He was paying, so I said yeah. Next day I get an email saying it wasnt working and was wet (probably from beer). He filed a complaint with paypal, and lost, as what happened to it while it was in the pub has got nothing to me! So that guy lost out because of his stupidity, idiot, it was a great amp, blueback et all.

So anyway, eBay is SAFE, but like anything in life, there is gonna be people waiting for you to slip up so they can pounce, so its up to you not to be an idiot!
knarfzednem

NantucketSleighrider wrote:I have used eBay for a long time. Having bought guitars, amps, effects and various other guitar related products, I can say I have never had any trouble whatsoever.

The key rule to eBay:

COMMON SENSE!

Dont jump into things, READ LISTINGS MORE THAN ONCE, and if unsure about anything, ASK QUESTIONS! Buyers like answering questions, it shows them that people are interested in their item.

I have bought some pretty high end gear from eBay, and have exchanged thousands of pounds at a time using Paypal.

Paypal are a really helpful bunch of people, and will see that you have an easy ride using eBay.

The one incident that I had, was when I was selling an amp (a Vox AC30), and the buyer asked if I could send it to his local pub instead of his house. He was paying, so I said yeah. Next day I get an email saying it wasnt working and was wet (probably from beer). He filed a complaint with paypal, and lost, as what happened to it while it was in the pub has got nothing to me! So that guy lost out because of his stupidity, idiot, it was a great amp, blueback et all.

So anyway, eBay is SAFE, but like anything in life, there is gonna be people waiting for you to slip up so they can pounce, so its up to you not to be an idiot!
Hey, you sound like a pro. I completely agree with you. Sure you can get cheated, but that's just if you don't pay attention. As a rule, I only go for stuff with paypal. That way, there's a true reciept of the transaction.
Let's see, to this day, I have 6 guitars from Ebay. My last one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... %3AIT&rd=1.
It came as described, just like all of my others. (Really, it's like someone ordered it and put it away just to sell it). You just have to kind of investigate and ask questions.
sweeps

yeah common sense is the big one....... as if youd even think of buyin 1 from china i mean come on people. do your research, investigate ask questions. some people just get into different styles and/or there tastes in guitars change
NantucketSleighrider

sweeps wrote:yeah common sense is the big one....... as if youd even think of buyin 1 from china i mean come on people. do your research, investigate ask questions. some people just get into different styles and/or there tastes in guitars change
This is your thread right???
Logic

NantucketSleighrider wrote:
sweeps wrote:yeah common sense is the big one....... as if youd even think of buyin 1 from china i mean come on people. do your research, investigate ask questions. some people just get into different styles and/or there tastes in guitars change
This is your thread right???
That is wierd..
sweeps

arrrr yeah its my thread. just discussing :roll: